• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jam and preserves

lperry

47 minutes ago, heidih said:

There is something so freeing in having the jam, preserve, marmalade skill as a back pocket. Especially for small batch. I did orange with a few craisins throw in the other day. Reduced to almost carmelized, Really happy but not photo worthy due to brown, 

I was thinking something similar today.   Essentially, how small batches of just about anything are so doable.    My M-I-L had the opposite outlook, preferring to undertake huge projects, Herculean efforts, and usually too much product in the end for us to use.   Instead, we turn bits and small lots into a few jars of whatnot, either waterbath processed or if a really small batch, refrigerated or frozen.    And not too much for our small family to consume.  

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

44 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I am having serious apricot envy out here in Minnesota. Blenheims in the stores? Not a chance. And it's been years since I've been in California during the summer months. Ain't happening this year, either.

Oh I have not had a really swoon worthy one in years, Last time was at an estate sale in Lakewood. We got great non food stuff like those ocean stones with the clams in holes and the glass electrical insulators. We smelled  the apricots on an old tree and asked if we could buy some,  They told us to just go for it We almost passed out on the freeway from the intoxicating scent  Hard to go back from the best. No jam  made - we ate them all greedily.

• Like 2