• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Katz’s Delicatessen

Sandra Levine

Truly a thing of beauty! Are those some sort of pickled green tomato under the cucumber pickles?

PS: Gotta love the Diet Pepsi next to the tower of fatty meat ;)

Full-sour, pickled green tomato indeed!

Everything does look beautiful. Great pickles. I prefer my pastrami sliced more thinly but it still looks fabulous.

That's the hand sliced pastrami - but it's so tender, it doesn't matter.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I might be alone in this, but I found the sandwiches at Katz's (I had pastrami, which looked much like Mitch's sandwich picture above) to be very disappointing. Yes, the pastrami was excellent, but a giant pile of meat on sliced bread is not my idea of a great sandwich. I prefer sandwiches with some nuance and balance.

I might be alone in this, but I found the sandwiches at Katz's (I had pastrami, which looked much like Mitch's sandwich picture above) to be very disappointing. Yes, the pastrami was excellent, but a giant pile of meat on sliced bread is not my idea of a great sandwich. I prefer sandwiches with some nuance and balance.

Unless, of course, it's a pastrami sandwich. The nuance and balance comes from the mustard and pickle. And the CelRay ... :wink: .

Tasty Travails - My Blog

The subtlety and complexity are in the flavor and texture of the meat. The bread is a formality. Anything else is adornment.

Then why not just order a big pile of meat?

Then why not just order a big pile of meat?

He did... they serve it in an edible napkin. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

JAZ, I actually think the pile of pastrami at Katz's (and other comparable places like Schwartz's or Langer's) to be in perfect proportion to the bread and mustard.

Places like Carnegie Deli or Stage Deli take it to the extreme for tourists, but for me the Katz's sandwich WORKS. And I'm not a fan of unbalanced sandwiches. Of course, everyone's mileage varies.

Looks like we have the same taste :smile: .

Gotta ask - did you eat the WHOLE sandwich?

Well I couldn't just leave some on the plate, could I? The idea that I could have left any seemed so far fetched at the time. Mind you, it was the only thing I ate that day. :wink:

James.

And it should be on rye.

Rye is my usual, bit iirc from childhood in the 50's, "club rolls" were quite an acceptable alternative.

My family had a kosher deli for a few years and on occasion, somebody would order a pastrami on white with mayo. A shanda.

I've been to Katz's once and thought the sandwich was great. The knishes, not so much.

My family had a kosher deli for a few years and on occasion, somebody would order a pastrami on white with mayo. A shanda.

I've been to Katz's once and thought the sandwich was great. The knishes, not so much.

Funny, that's exactly what I said to my wife. And it's doubly sad about the knishes, since Yonah Schimmel's is right down the block.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

And it should be on rye.

Rye is my usual, bit iirc from childhood in the 50's, "club rolls" were quite an acceptable alternative.

And in fact, at Katz's, I highly recommend the brisket on the club roll! Pastrami on the rye.

Get samples, tip well, and order your meat juicy.

Funny, that's exactly what I said to my wife. And it's doubly sad about the knishes, since Yonah Schimmel's is right down the block.

A state of affairs I've often wondered about too. How do you have lousy doughy bland knishes when the temple of all Knishness is a stone's throw away?? Never made sense to me. You could send a busboy every morning to pick up the order or have it walked over and hand delivered. What's up with that??

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A state of affairs I've often wondered about too. How do you have lousy doughy bland knishes when the temple of all Knishness is a stone's throw away?? Never made sense to me. You could send a busboy every morning to pick up the order or have it walked over and hand delivered. What's up with that??

Very interesting, right. It certainly looks like Katz's uses a "commercial" type of knish, the ones you see on pretzel/hot dog/knish carts all over the city, probably from a company like Gabila's. They can be good, but they really have to be prepared properly, and I don't know if sitting on a warm griddle all day is the best way to do that.

I would venture a guess that economics enters into it.

Of course, maybe there's an age-old feud at the bottom of it all :cool: .

Tasty Travails - My Blog

It's not entirely sensible to believe the things that people at restaurants tell you, however I should note that I have been told repeatedly by several people at Katz's that their supplier for the round knishes is Yonah Schimmel's and that for the square ones it is a commercial provider whose name I've never recognized. Everybody is aware, correct, that there are two types of knishes on offer at Katz's, and that only the round ones are worth bothering with?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)