• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Butter in Vancouver

I've become a bit of a butter fiend lately and am currently on a quest to find the best butter in Vancouver. The pseudo-butter they sell at the regular supermarkets just isn't cutting it.

I've tried the Urban Fare Jerseyland Organic butter and one of the organic butters at Whole Foods. Anyone else have any suggestions? Any good imported European butter anywhere? Do any of the Farmer's Markets sell butter?

ps maybe I should start a competing thread - best margarine in Vancouver! :smile:

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

You need to come out this way, to Agassiz...take the farm tour and visit Debra Amrein-Boyes, or, as I call her, 'the cheese lady' at Farmhouse Cheese. She is making the most fabulous fresh churned butter - the croissants I made with it are to die for. It doesn't last long, because there's no preservatives in it, and it's about $10 a pound, but I swear, you will never go back to the supermarket butter again! And mix some with fleur-de-sel for that slighlty crunchy saltiness, and pick up some Chilliwack corn on your way. Heaven. We Ling'd a dozen for dinner last night...it was divine.

Oh...and get some of her brie, and anything else that takes your fancy. She's doing a great job out there.

We are heading to see her right now!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I've become a bit of a butter fiend lately and am currently on a quest to find the best butter in Vancouver.  The pseudo-butter they sell at the regular supermarkets just isn't cutting it.

Our default butter at home is Lactantia, made in Victoriaville, Quebec and available at several supermarkets, including Capers and Safeway. We find that a stick of their garlic butter is especially helpful--for 911-ing gravies, or as a quick fuel for grilled baguette at this time of the year. Avalon also supplies a quality product. In the Wine Country we tend to go with Blackwell Dairies' butter (Kamloops) who also make quality ice and sour creams--the latter is terrific with local fish roe--especially salted salmon eggs.

The best restaurant butters we've found recently are at West (from a small supplier in Prince George, I think) and at Raincity Grill, from Farm House Cheese Co. in Agassiz.

Pet peeves: warm or whipped butter in restaurants, a clear indicator that you're eating in the wrong suburb. Ice cold butter is my preference; if the accompanying bread can't take it it's a signal that you're conversing with an inept baker.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

C'mon, whose lifestyle can support $10/lb butter? That's the craziest thing I have heard all week, and I work in a restaurant!

My suggestion for 'commercial' butter is Foothill's unsalted, from Alberta. I did a three way comparison, and it actually does taste and feel better than other supermarket brands.

-- Matt.

C'mon, whose lifestyle can support $10/lb butter?  That's the craziest thing I have heard all week, and I work in a restaurant!

My suggestion for 'commercial' butter is Foothill's unsalted, from Alberta.  I did a three way comparison, and it actually does taste and feel better than other supermarket brands.

-- Matt.

It may not be as crazy as you think, Matt.

Of course my first response to your question is that quite a few people can afford to spend the dough, otherwise companies such as Lactantia wouldn't survive.

My own 'lifestyle' (such as it is) can occasionally support higher prices for butter (especially when eaten in its raw state in small quantities), Matt, and so, when you think about it, can yours. :smile: I should mention though that you can buy Lanctatia's convenient 4 x 113 gram sticks of butter from $4.39 if you know where to look.

That's because you routinely spend much more on Extra Virgin Olive Oil--in fact often more than $40 per pound. Of course, just as you don't necessarily cook with EVOO, nor do we always cook with expensive butters--both are typically reserved for eating with crusty bread--to enjoy their flavours to the fullest. But I would maintain that Lactantia makes a quality product and that their garlic-composed version is an excellent 911 agent--I carry it in my toolkit. That being said, we enjoy Foothills too.

The quality, artisanal butters used at Raincity and West are other examples of defining taste; although they are relatively expensive for the restaurant there is no charge to the consumer.

For several reasons that elevates my mood.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Cold and hard, like little yellow paving stones making a path across my bread. Words like "yum" come to mind to describe it.

I yellow-brick-roaded myself at Il Giardino last night. Note to self: Must ask who bakes their excellent bread.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

C'mon, whose lifestyle can support $10/lb butter?  That's the craziest thing I have heard all week, and I work in a restaurant!

I was a chef for many years...I don't think that $10 a pound for something made by hand, organic and from a local source is out of line...I guess it's simply a matter of what your priorities are. I expect that we all have some spending habits that would cause someone somewhere to raise an eyebrow. But as we don't really drink alcohol, and since I was a chef and my husband was a baker, we don't tend to eat out often and prefer to spend our dining dollars on quality ingredients rather than the mediocre fare available out here. It's summer in the Valley, and the eating is fabulous.

Tonight we will be slathering said butter on fresh yeast raised biscuits, with the cherry brandy jam I made yesterday. And I suspect some will find it's way onto the beautiful 2 pound coho salmon that I bought at Swift Aquaculture about an hour ago...a bargain at $4 a pound and so fresh it was still flopping in the cooler. And some will get mixed with fleur-de-sel and spread on fresh corn...and some on the steamed new potatoes...and keep your fork, there might be pie! Mmmmm....pie crust made with butter....mmmmm....pie :laugh:

Scott Stratten

You need to come out this way, to Agassiz...take the farm tour and visit Debra Amrein-Boyes, or, as I call her, 'the cheese lady' at Farmhouse Cheese.  She is making the most fabulous fresh churned butter - the croissants I made with it are to die for.  It doesn't last long, because there's no preservatives in it, and it's about $10 a pound, but I swear, you will never go back to the supermarket butter again!  And mix some with fleur-de-sel for that slighlty crunchy saltiness, and pick up some Chilliwack corn on your way.  Heaven.  We Ling'd a dozen for dinner last night...it was divine.

You will be charged 12 croissants made with that wonderful butter for royalties every time you use my name in the name of gluttony and excess. I'll be at home all day waiting for the courier guy tomorrow. :raz:

I would happily fork them over...hot and slathered with jam :laugh:

If I though my poor pancreas could withstand it, I would eat a bowl of icing for breakfast in your name! And a batch of cookies...and some cake trimmings...and some leftover curried beef brisket...and a bag of cookies :laugh:

Scott Stratten

But but.. does anyone know where to get butter that's cultured? I usually use the Lactania sticks, which are generally good.. but I want European butter. I've ran into the "Normandy-style" butter from President's Choice in Superstore (shame on me, I know), but have yet seen a place that sells.. everyday, good cultured butter for regular use.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

The quality, artisanal butters used at Raincity and West are other examples of defining taste; although they are relatively expensive for the restaurant  there is no charge to the consumer.

Of course there is a charge to the consumer, not a direct $3.00 for butter charge, but surely someone as knowledgeable as Mr. Maw can't believe that the cost of the butter isn't factored into food cost and therefore menu prices at Raincity and West.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

You will be charged 12 croissants made with that wonderful butter for royalties every time you use my name in the name of gluttony and excess. I'll be at home all day waiting for the courier guy tomorrow.  :raz:

Speaking of royalties... I couldn't possibly eat that many croissants, so my royalty fee for mentioning my name is for every 10 times it's mentioned, it will cost one HSG gingerbread pudding. I'll let the "cultured butter" comment go, however, as I'm still working on getting cultured.

The best restaurant butters we've found recently are at West (from a small supplier in Prince George, I think)

Having family living in that area, any more details? Would love to get some.

Edited by butter (log)

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

The quality, artisanal butters used at Raincity and West are other examples of defining taste; although they are relatively expensive for the restaurant  there is no charge to the consumer.

Of course there is a charge to the consumer, not a direct $3.00 for butter charge, but surely someone as knowledgeable as Mr. Maw can't believe that the cost of the butter isn't factored into food cost and therefore menu prices at Raincity and West.

Well, I suppose there will always be butter consumptives (Last Tango in South Granville?) such as me who would cheerfully take advantage of both restaurateurs and the unwitting butter subsidy of Atkins-inclined dining patrons. And, apparently, so does Chef Wyles. We enjoy it--recklessly and unashamedly--in vast quantity (occasionally eating up to $9 worth! :biggrin: ), although I would prefer to think that Jack Evrensel doesn't bury $150 of tabletop butter every night.

After all, isn't that honour reserved for California chardonnay? :biggrin:

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

But but.. does anyone know where to get butter that's cultured? I usually use the Lactania sticks, which are generally good.. but I want European butter. I've ran into the "Normandy-style" butter from President's Choice in Superstore (shame on me, I know), but have yet seen a place that sells.. everyday, good cultured butter for regular use.

Dairyland's "European-Style" butter is cultured.

hm, Dairyland has cultured butter.. I will have to check that out. Anyone know of any more cultured butter around town without hitting the big artisan French brands if they're even imported here?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

It may not be as crazy as you think, Matt.

Of course my first response to your question is that quite a few people can afford to spend the dough, otherwise companies such as Lactantia wouldn't survive.

That's because you routinely spend much more on Extra Virgin Olive Oil--in fact often more than $40 per pound. Of course, just as you don't necessarily cook with EVOO, nor do we always cook with expensive butters--both are typically reserved for eating with crusty bread--to enjoy their flavours to the fullest. But I would maintain that Lactantia makes a quality product and that their garlic-composed version is an excellent 911 agent--I carry it in my toolkit. That being said, we enjoy Foothills too.

For several reasons that elevates my mood.

Jamie

OK, OK, pass me some high-end butter, so I can slather it on my words before I eat them.

Jamie, you raise an excellent point, and one that did not even occur to me. Of course I am willing to pay top dollar for top quality, but having never tasted butter this expensive, the concept seemed absurd to me. My $4 Foothills does the trick on good bread! What am I missing?

I have to go. My $30/750 mL bottle of Olio Carli is calling me. Boy that green glass is heavy!

:wink:

-- Matt.

Les Amis de Fromage have some high end butters. I got a tub of the stuff they use at West but it was a bit past it. Name escapes me.

They had a couple of interestng other ones. Can't quite bring myself to try them as my waistline really doesn't need 2 or 3 loaves of bread crammed into it.

OK, OK, pass me some high-end butter, so I can slather it on my words before I eat them.

It ain't the meat it's the emotion

Do not always belive what you read about butter

Island farms

Avalon dairy (they have butter)

Agropur

Do not always believe what you read, there is not much butter production left in BC, a lot of product is shipped into BC as bulk then maybe it is cut into Lb blocks, if at all. Even in our own country we do not have free trade between provinces. The way that dairy companies have managed to bridge the gap between trade barriers is to buy all the dairy companies in Canada, we know BC has only two maybe three independent dairy companies left. Island Farms was bought by what I call the wolf in sheep clothing that great Co-op in Quebec called Agropur. It is hard to find information on this company because it is treated like a private company not like a corporation; you see only the top of the ice burg, all the while hiding as a co-op. When all books are public, it is very transparent. Agropur is two companies; the liquid milk side which is a co-op and then there is the other side, cheeses and secondary products and is one of the biggest dairy companies in north America. So we have Sapputo, Agropur and Parmalat

We have

1) Agropur / Natrel (http://www.teamcanada.gc.ca/china2005/profile-en.asp?CompID=1409)

“Founded in 1938, Agropur is currently the largest dairy cooperative in Canada, and has sales of more than $1.9 billion. The Cooperative is owned by nearly 4,400 dairy producers and employs over 3,100 people. External resources provide a link between the farm and the cooperative`s plants and numerous distribution outlets in Canada and abroad.”

2) Saputo/ Dairyland-Dairyworld- (http://www.dairyland-ca.com/) (http://www.saputo.com/)

“Solid foundations, a commitment to excellence and dedication to growth are the keystones that have enabled Saputo to evolve as the largest dairy processor in Canada, one of the most important cheese producers in North America, the third dairy processor in Argentina and the largest snack cake manufacturer in Canada. Our products, manufactured in 46 plants that stretch from one end of the Americas to the other, are marketed under such well-known brand names as Saputo, Armstrong, Caron, Cayer, Kingsey, Dairyland, Baxter, Nutrilait, Stella, Frigo, Dragone, Treasure Cave, La Paulina, Ricrem and Vachon. Saputo Inc. is a public company whose shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol SAP. Propelled by the same sense of dedication that motivates our 8,500 employees to surpass themselves day after day, we will continue to successfully craft our future. “

3) Parmalat- (http://www.parmalat.ca/home.htm) (http://www.lactantia.com/) (http://www.beatrice.ca/)

“With over 120 years of brand heritage in the Canadian dairy industry, Parmalat Canada is committed to the health and wellness of Canadians and markets a variety of high-quality

food products that help them keep balance in their lives. Parmalat Canada produces milk and dairy products, fruit juices, cultured products, cheese products and table spreads with such respected brands as Beatrice®, Lactantia®, Astro®, Black Diamond®, and Balderson®. Our employees' continued commitment to quality and innovation has helped Parmalat Canada become one of the largest, most-dynamic food group companies in Canada, employing more than 2,900 people with 19 operating facilities across the country. Parmalat Canada has operated in Canada as a subsidiary of Parmalat Finanziaria S.p.A, of Italy since 1997.

If you want more info read this: “CONSOLIDATION IN THE CANADIAN DAIRY INDUSTRY-- THE PROCESSORS”

http://www.eap.mcgill.ca/MagRack/RH/RH_E_97_05.htm

http://www.lactantia.ca/our_heritage.htm

“In October 1986, Ault Foods acquired Lactantia Ltd.. Parmalat later purchased Ault Foods in 1997. Despite these changes in ownership, the Lactantia brand has remained synonymous with farm fresh goodness.”

http://www.beatrice.ca/about/index.asp

“Taking on The Great White North

The Beatrice Dairy Division originated in Canada in 1969 when Beatrice Companies of Chicago entered the Canadian dairy industry with the purchase of Brookside Dairy in Kingston.

In the period 1969 through 1989, the Division grew to over $300 million, primarily through the acquisition of formerly independent dairies in cities outside of the major urban centres of Toronto and Ottawa.

In 1978, Beatrice Foods separated from its United States counterpart to become a Canadian dairy - Beatrice Foods Canada Ltd. “

“Increasing Northern Exposure. In August 1987, Beatrice Foods Inc. acquired Sunland Foods ("Sunland"), a Western Canada cookie manufacturer. The Division nearly doubled in size with the acquisition of Eplett's Dairies (with facilities in Brampton and Northern Ontario) in 1989, and Palm Dairies (with facilities in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario) in 1990.

Immediately following the acquisition, Beatrice and Palm were amalgamated into a single corporation and continued operations under the name "Beatrice Foods Inc."

In November of 1993, the company acquired all the outstanding shares of Mont-St-Hilaire Dairy Ltd., a dairy producer based in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec.

In 1994, the Division formed a strategic alliance with Unilever, effectively divesting of the Ice Cream and Novelties business while retaining exclusive selling and distribution rights for the Good Humour-Breyers line of Ice Cream products.

Into The Future

In March of 1997 Beatrice Foods Inc. was purchased by Parmalat Finanziaria S.p.A of Italy. In July of the same year, Parmalat purchased Ault Foods to form Parmalat Canada. In September of 1998, Parmalat purchased Astro Dairy Products. Combined, these 3 acquisitions make Parmalat Canada's largest dairy. Internationally, the Parmalat name is a trademark that identifies the world's largest dairy company, and operates in 25 countries on 5 continents.

Today, the Beatrice brand name is synonymous with high quality, fresh and wholesome dairy products, and enjoys high awareness in all if its major trading areas.

http://www2.marianopolis.edu/quebechistory...iandairying.htm

“Butter.

While dairy butter and farm-made cheese were predominant, the butter export trade was the more important. With the introduction of factory-made cheese, butter declined owing to the deterioration of the product in shipping. The first creameries established used the Swarz or shallow-pan system for separating the cream. In 1882 the centrifugal separator was imported from Denmark to Quebec, and most creameries adopted its use. It was one of the greatest improvements in dairy apparatus. With the advent of the hand cream-separator in 1890 it was no longer necessary to deliver whole milk to the factory, and thus was inaugurated the gathered-cream plant. This system now prevails all over Canada, except in Quebec. A third impetus to the manufacture of butter was given by the Dominion government in 1895 in the provision of refrigerator cars on the railways and refrigerated chambers in the Atlantic steamships. This insured the good quality of the butter upon arrival in United Kingdom markets, where previously it had suffered from a bad reputation. Butter export increased until in 1903 it reached the maximum of 34,128,944 pounds. Increase in consumption of whole milk caused a decline in butter production, and in 1913 the imports exceeded the exports by 13,000,000 pounds. During the Great War there was a surplus of exports over imports, but since 1925 there has been a considerable decrease in exports and increase in imports.

More than half of the total butter production of Canada occurs in Ontario and Quebec, and the factories in these two provinces are distributed all over the settled areas and are easily accessible to the patrons. The butter industry of the Maritime provinces is relatively unimportant, as only sufficient butter is produced to supply home consumption, and dairy butter predominates. The Prairie provinces have large centralized creameries, manufacture butter of a very high quality, and have a large surplus for export. The creameries in British Columbia are small in size, due to the difficulties of transportation and the scarcity of the milk supply. They are, however, well distributed throughout the dairy districts. “

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

This is an excerpt from the Vitamin V newsletter (always a great source of information - food and otherwise www.vitaminv.ca)

At The Farm House Natural Cheeses in Agassiz, the Boyes family matriarch makes not just delicious artisan cheeses, but gorgeous organic butter from their own dairy cows. The weekly batches sell out in a day (and people come from Vancouver to get it), so call ahead to reserve yours ($5 for 1/2 Lb.) and make it your Sunday drive.

The Farm House Natural Cheeses

5634 McCallum Road, Agassiz, 1-604-796-8741

Monday to Saturday 10 a.m-5 p.m.

Sunday 1-5 p.m.

www.farmhousecheeses.com

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

This is an excerpt from the Vitamin V newsletter (always a great source of information - food and otherwise www.vitaminv.ca)

At The Farm House Natural Cheeses in Agassiz, the Boyes family matriarch makes not just delicious artisan cheeses, but gorgeous organic butter from their own dairy cows. The weekly batches sell out in a day (and people come from Vancouver to get it), so call ahead to reserve yours ($5 for 1/2 Lb.) and make it your Sunday drive.

The Farm House Natural Cheeses

5634 McCallum Road, Agassiz, 1-604-796-8741

Monday to Saturday 10 a.m-5 p.m.

Sunday 1-5 p.m.

www.farmhousecheeses.com

This is a wonderful product, made right on site, as Vancitygirl says, and just a short detour off the highway for anyone travelling to the interior. They have a variety of excellent cheeses as well, but a call ahead is wise as they tend to sell out of product (especially at this time of year) rather quickly.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine