• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One night in Monterrey

Captain Hongo

If you'll have transportation, try Bouchee or the restaurant at L'Auberge Carmel, both in Carmel

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Fresh Cream in Monterey is amazing!  See what they are serving .... :rolleyes: SAC AU CHOCOLAT: a molded chocolate bag filled with a mocha milkshake and topped with a dollop of whipped cream is my very favorite dessert ...  :laugh:

This looks fairly high end. Any idea of pricing?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I'll second Bouchee in Carmel. We had my birthday dinner there, it was really nice. I had the tasting menu that was great. For that yummy chocolate sac dessert, you might want to check out the White House in Pacific Grove, also owned by Rober Kincaid. It may be less pricey than Fresh Cream.

Casanova is also very good. If you want very high-end, check out Pacific's Edge at the Highland's Inn. In Carmel Valley there is Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge for very formal or Wickets. We loved the food at Wickets and the ambiance is very nice out on the back patio area. Amazing place!

In Pebble Beach, Roy's is very, very good with great views. Go at sunset and hear the bagpiper play. So many great choices. We'll be back in the area next month and Tarpey's Roadhouse is first on our list. Tutto Mondo for Italiian and considering Sardine Factory, tho is receives mixed reviews on this and other boards. Bon appetit! :)

Sardine Factory is on our list for a four day visit to the area next month. Please report back on how you like it. Our last meal there was when we were first married (oh, about 23 years ago) and I cringed at spending $40 on a meal, but my husband insisted. We haven't been back since. For a long time this place wasn't spoke of too often on the food boards, it seems to be picking up again, I'll bet it's great for their business. Tarpey's is also on our list! Have a great time in Monterey!