• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sushi kaji

skunkbunny

• 2 months later...

Kaji is the hands down best.

My biggest gripe about Kaji is their abalone is consistantly far too small/tough, not much sense in offering "luxury" ingredients that aren't worth the space they take in your stomach. Other than that, fish quality is certainly far better than any in the city and Kaji's 2nd in command Takeshi Okada is also an excellent chef in his own right.

If its in the budget, make sure you get the omakase and sit at bar, he will take care of you :)

• 3 months later...

I haven't been to any of the places mentioned above, but I have been to Toshi Sushi - 565 KingW. Anyone else? How does it compare to the others? Warning: I've got good standards for these things.

The front dining area is the more Canadianised bit, with tables and the local condo crowd. Act like a salary-man and sit at the bar in the back, which is more reminiscent of typical neighbourhood sushi-yas around Tokyo. Lots of banter between the older chef, his assistant and the waitstaff, in Japanese of course, so pretty casual. Good quality.

(Yuck! :wacko: Just please don't order anything with mayonnaise in it; these are the faddish dishes probably intended to appeal to the younger 7-11 'conbini' generation and, of course, to N.American tastes as well.)

Most of the good restaurants like Hiro and Ematei are DT, but Zen Japananese Restaurant has got to be up there with them. Zen is located at Brimley and Eglinton Scarborough. Yes, this is one of the ghettoest places in Toronto, but trust me, it's REALLY good. In terms of the quality/price ratio, IMO it's the BEST in Toronto.

• 3 months later...
Kaji is the hands down best.

My biggest gripe about Kaji is their abalone is consistantly far too small/tough, not much sense in offering "luxury" ingredients that aren't worth the space they take in your stomach. 

I ate there last week and while it was great I agree the abalone was like chewing on cartilage. Not very yummy but everything else was....

What other great high end Japanese restos are there in TO.. or is this the best?

Just went to Kaiseki Yu-zen Hashimoto last night!

Very nice! It's a tiny little place - only room for 6-8 people per night. Just a single seating at 7:30pm for dinner.

Dinner is either 6 or 8 courses ($100 or $150 pp), in traditional Kaiseki style.

The website has pictures of all their food.

The whole experience is great - try it if you're looking for extremely high-end Japanese.