• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to stay and eat in Jasper?

wabi

My wife and I are planning a late summer getaway in late August.

We are going to Banff, but look to take a drive up to Jasper to see the sites.

It looks as if it would be better to drive up to Jasper, spend the nite, and then go back to Banff.

Soooooooo....with one nite to stay in Jasper, where should we stay, and where should we eat?

Is the Jasper Park Lodge worth it, or is there somewhere else that we shouldnt miss?

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and advice in advance.

wabi

Is the JPL worth it?

Is the Wickaninnish Inn worth it? Is anything in Whistler worth it? Is the Sooke Harbour House worth it? It the Aerie worth it? [maybe James can "chime in" given his experience at at least two of these locations]

....we celebrated our anniversary at the JPL in May and yes it was worth it...we celebrated my birthday at the Wick last week, and yes...gulp...it was worth it...could we do it all the time? Not a chance!

At that time of year...I expect it remains high season...I am not sure that staying one night at the JPL, especially after having driven the better part of the day stopping at all the attractions the Icefields Parkway affords, makes sense. This is particularly so if you are going to get up and drive back to Calgary or Banff.

If you are going to golf, swim, spa or take advantage of the other ameneities that the JPL offers that may be another story.

If you are going to relax and watch the elk drift in the evening and see the sun set behind Mt. Edith Cavell or get up in the morning and walk around Lac Beauvert or use the JPL as your starting point to head up to Maligne Lake or the Maligne Canyon picinic spots that may be another story.

Jasper offers a number of other alternatives. We have stayed at the Tonquin, Lobstick, Sawridge, Marmot in addition to the JPL. All have their pluses and minuses...the variety of rooms and amenities differ greatly within the location itself.

Beckers Bungalows, Pyramid Lake Resort have been mentioned favourably but we have not stayed at either.

But if all you are wanting is some place to "put your head down" after a day of driving and a good dinner I probably would not recommend the JPL. If you do opt to go that route the Lakeside Suites [formerly called their Beauvert Suites] are superb and unlike much of the accomodation totally soundproof and reasonably cool given the absence of air conditioning and the heat generated even at that time of year in Jasper.

As far as dining you have the Edith Cavell Room at the JPL, Andy's Bistro in town [recommended by many but pretty mediocre the time we visited] and our favourite Fiddle River. The latter specializes in seafood so you know that it isn't line caught, freshly delivered but they do a good job.

Much of Jasper is dominated by Greek-influenced spots as the Greeks pioneered Jasper's service industry. L & W, Villa Caruso, Karouzo's, Tonquin Prime Rib Village all reflect their background. There are Korean, Japanese and other spots. An Earls', A & W etc.. Papa George's in the Astoria Hotel is similarly affected but is good for real home made style food like roast chicken sandwiches and the like.

If you do go, please let us know what you tried and if you liked it. We'll be back en route to and back from Tofino come fall.

Not particularly luxe, but the Jasper Inn was nice when I stayed there a few years back, I had a studio room on two levels. They have a restaurant, but I didn't eat there. I have no restaurant recommendations as I was mostly eating in my room on that trip.

The coolest part of staying there was watching the elk eating the flowers from the hanging baskets in the parking lot. I have some pretty funny pics.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

We stayed at the JPL for our honeymoon.

The accommodations were fantastic, but the food and restaurant service did not live up to expectation after having been to a few other CP/Fairmont properties. However, it was Christmas time, and they seem to have front desk staff serving etc due to the crowds, so that probably explains it.

A beautiful place though.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I would stay at the JPL so long as you can get a renovated room. Look for a Beauvert suite. If you book you must insist on a newer room, I would also mention that rates are very high in August.

If you are considering booking and need advice the greatest individual that I have worked with is the JPL Guest Services Manager Rob White. Email him at rob.white@fairmont.com He will make your stay fantastic. Mention to him that you were reffered by James Kendal and he will VIP you.

For food I would go to Moose's Nook and scour the wine lists as I left them with many gems. I don't know about the Cavell these days as my former Chef de Cuisine, Kamal, is now in Whister at the Chateaux.

ditto and ditto to James' recommendations.

If you are there in August you will certainly prefer to stay in one of the Lakefront [formerly Beauvert] suites which are adjacent to the 18th fairway of the golf course.

It can get mighty hot in the mountains in the summer and although the JPL has changed the windows on many of its wood cabins/A-frames they nevertheless, not having AC, can get stifling.

The Lakeside suites are like condo units with concrete construction and as a result stay cooler and are much more quiet than the other units. They also have been "spruced up" significantly.

Rob White is a fine fellow. He has taken care of us during our past visits and especially our golden retrievers...hey, they usually get more attention [rightfully so] than we do anyway.

At the Moose's Nook a fellow named Lyle Beauregard [sp?] is now working. Lyle had his own restaurant in Edmonton for awhile and enjoys/knows his food and wine and is now....according to a post I saw at another "foodie" website...working there.