• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lime cake

therdogg

My son is turning four, and I've been asking him what kind of cake he would like. He's saying "lime."

So I've been thinking maybe white cake frosted with lime buttercream, filled with lime curd. But I'd love any other suggestions as well as recipes. Thanks!

Lime curd is pretty sophisticated for a 4 year old. Are you sure he really understands what he is asking for? Now, you may have a kid like my daughter who probably would have been really excited with something like this. On the other hand, my son -- the picky eater -- is a straight chocolate guy. If this is just for him, OK. On the other hand, if the party will include other kids his age, you may want something more widely accepted.

Perhaps he says lime because he is into green these days -- not unheard of for a four year old. In that case, buttercream and green food coloring may do the trick and keep a gaggle of tots happy.

Just a thought.

By the way, mine are now teenagers.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Lime curd is pretty sophisticated for a 4 year old. Are you sure he really understands what he is asking for?

He probably doesn't really understand what a lime cake might be like. He has autism and this is the first year he's sorta gotten an idea of what a birthday even is. He loves limes, limeade, lime-flavored candy, lime yogurt, etc. So I really do think the lime flavor will go over well with him.

There won't be any other children at his party, so I guess that's one less thing I have to worry about, or maybe one more depending on my perspective. :unsure:

I have a terrific recipe from Cooking Light for a Margarita Angel Food cake that's VERY lime-y, and you could certainly leave out the tequila from the glaze! And/or you could frost it... I'm happy to PM it to you if you'd like. :smile:

Edit: I've loved everything tart since I was that age...and somewhere here on eG there's a thread about the surprising stuff that (some) little kids will eat! I definitely remember a number of posts about kids who eat lemons and limes (and how bad it is for their teeth...)!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

He probably doesn't really understand what a lime cake might be like.  He has autism and this is the first year he's sorta gotten an idea of what a birthday even is.  He loves limes, limeade, lime-flavored candy, lime yogurt, etc.  So I really do think the lime flavor will go over well with him.

There won't be any other children at his party, so I guess that's one less thing I have to worry about, or maybe one more depending on my perspective.  :unsure:

You can flavor a basic white cake with lime juice and zest. Add a little lemon juice to brighten it. If he likes everything lime, I would also use the lime curd filling and put some lime juice and zest in the frosting.

My son has asperger's, on the autism spectrum, and as I read your comments above I had flashbacks of my own son's birthdays. He asked for Baked Alaska for his 6th birthday. I know kids with autism can get fixated on certain foods, flavors, or textures. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to.

Eileen :rolleyes:

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I had a recipe for key lime cake which tastes heavenly. It's dense, like a pound cake. I have no idea where it is, but I'll look for it, in case you're interested. If you don't mind using artificial stuff, you could add a bit of green food coloring. I'd take it for my birthday any day!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

therdogg first of all, happy birthday to your son. I know you've asked for lime cake recipes, but when I read that your son loves all things lime I just wanted to share this recipe from the Food Network for white chocolate key lime bars. The pastry chef at one of Bobby Flay's restaurants made this on air and it seemed so easy to do. Maybe this could become another limey treat for him.

Take care.

Here's the link. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cooking/re...6_11958,00.html

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!