• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where have you been in the ID lately?

Since I'm working in the ID now I will be trying every place! haha!

Today I went to Canton Wonton House. for $5 I had a huge bowl of wonton soup with baby bok choy, bbq pork and noodles. YUM! everything about it was great. Anyone have any favorites here that I should try next time, cause there will definately be a next time.

I love this place too. Try the siu kau (sp?) dumplings instead of the wontons--they are really good. When there's two of us, we also like to get a side of the veggies with oyster sauce and one of the fried crullers/chinese donuts for dipping. I really like the pork congee too--it tastes like carnitas porridge :laugh: .

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Not technically the ID but I finally made it up to Saigon Deli on 12th and Jackson and had myself a very tasty bahn mi ga (chicken) today. yum!!! and for $1.75? that is crazy!

Yeserday I had some chow mein at La La Guac (sp?) it was ok but there was something very weird to me about the place, it was the first time I was worried about eating the food- not for any particular reason though.

Can I butcher the name of a restaurant or what????

Ga Ga Loc is the place I was trying to talk about................. :wacko:

Since I'm working in the ID now I will be trying every place! haha!

Today I went to Canton Wonton House. for $5 I had a huge bowl of wonton soup with baby bok choy, bbq pork and noodles. YUM! everything about it was great. Anyone have any favorites here that I should try next time, cause there will definately be a next time.

I love this place too. Try the siu kau (sp?) dumplings instead of the wontons--they are really good. When there's two of us, we also like to get a side of the veggies with oyster sauce and one of the fried crullers/chinese donuts for dipping. I really like the pork congee too--it tastes like carnitas porridge :laugh: .

thanks seagal, great recommendation. I still need to get the darn donuts...everyone had them today but that's a lot of food for just me. Those bowls of soup are huge!!!!

• 1 year later...

We've really been working the ID lately!

Green Leaf: This is one of my favorites but we hadn't been since they opened the upstairs. When we walked in we were met with the usual cheerfully crowded dining room, and then our waitress led us upstairs to be seated. I was pretty excited to see what they had done up there. I guess I was expecting the same creative but low-budget use of bamboo that they have downstairs, but boy was I wrong. It was horrifying. I felt like I had suddenly been transported to some steak-and-foil-wrapped-baked-potato place in Pocatello, Idaho, because the room is absolutely crammed full of dark varnished wagon wheel furniture. Wagon wheels on the chairs. Wagon wheels on the tables. I guess they must have gotten a great deal on it but honestly someone should have paid them to take it. There was loud, horrible Muzak blaring from the speakers, and the only other diners up there were a few other white people. We begged our waitress to find room for us downstairs. What a relief it was to get back down there!

Vegetarian Bistro: For years I've driven past this place and assumed it must be awful, but I recently read the reviews at msg150 (scroll way down) was intrigued. We were looking for a place to regroup after an assault on Home Depot this afternoon and decided to give it a try. It's really good! It's very clean and has cute green and white dishes, right down to apple green chopsticks. Our waitress was hilariously gruff but great at her job--we had eaten at Brasa the night before for eight times the cost and wish we had gotten service half as good as what this woman provided. We had scallion pancakes, salt and pepper tofu, and asparagus with "chicken" and black bean sauce, and despite my extreme suspicion of any food that comes in quotation marks, everything was truly delicious. We're definitely going back soon.

Jade Garden: We'd never had dim sum here and finally got it together to go this morning. We shared a table with a guy from Hong Kong and a group of California Chinese who had just gotten back from a cruise to Alaska, very convivial, but it was that table in the faaarrrr corner from the kitchen so we were getting last crack at everything and nothing was very hot. Still, it was all quite good and we left utterly stuffed and with enough food left over for lunch, all for $23.

Tamarind Tree: I just love Tamarind Tree, and now that it's warm enough to sit outside I love it even more. Why? Sitting by a waterfall in the early evening sun, drinking young coconut juice served by a handsome waiter wearing a white linen jacket. If you need more, and I honestly don't, there are super-lemongrassy lemongrass beef salad rolls, teeny-tiny clams with pineapple-anchovy sauce and a squeeze of lime served with rice cracker, and shrimp on top of little rice cakes to wrap with basil in lettuce leaves. We are finally getting a grip on our insane over-ordering at this place. I really think we would be perfectly satisfied splitting three appetizers between us, but that menu is huge and I will never get through it all before I die at that rate.