• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where have you been in the ID lately?

The Vegetarian Bistro is fantastic!  I'm a dim sum fan, but I don't eat pork or shellfish, which makes a regular dim sum restaurant pretty much out of the question.  The Vegetarian Bistro had incredibly tasty dim sum, and they were fast and attentive.  The dim sum is $3 per order, but they have other stuff too.

I went there recently too, and was pretty impressed. It's a lot better than the place that was there before I think.

It's been mentioned a few times already, but I went to Seven Stars Pepper the other day and had a great dinner. The beef in hot oil appetizer was really, really good - a perfect combination of spiciness from the chili oil and numbingness from the Sichuan peppercorns. Also had the dan dan noodles which were great. I'm going back on Friday and I want to try that whole fish dish...

When I went to lunch at Green Leaf yesterday, I noticed that there's a new place open next door called Hong Kong Noodle House. It was packed and the menu looks very interesting. Anyone been or have the 411?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

That's seafood fried noodles, Hong Kong style(two sides yellow, literally translated)

Jade Garden has a really good example of this dish which I prefer over the Sea Garden version. Difference is simply in the ingredients used.

Another type of noodles which you can get is "yi-min".

It's soft noodles, not crispy but it tastes really good.

Not often found in Seattle restaurants though.

Sea Garden has a wonderful dish, seafood over crispy noodles.  I am curious if the technique to prepare the noodles has a name.  Anyone know?

That's seafood fried noodles, Hong Kong style(two sides yellow, literally translated)

Jade Garden has a really good example of this dish which I prefer over the Sea Garden version. Difference is simply in the ingredients used.

This is one of my favorite dishes. I'll have to try Jade Garden's version!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Two places I've been to recently are worth mentioning.

Banh mi place on King St. just to the east of 12th Ave. called Banh Cuon Than Dinh (or maybe that name isn't completely right). King St. is one block north of Jackson, making this place almost impossible to find in the jumble of tiny strip mall businesses. It's sort of behind the original Malay Satay Hut spot. Sort of. Well, the sandwiches (I had the chicken and the barbequed pork) were worth checking out and the other snacks on display were pretty interesting, if not downright challenging, like a cold fried sweet potato cake with a shell-on shrimp stuck to it. I still like the banh mi at Saigon Deli on Jackson and about 13th the best, but these were certainly tasty. Had a lot of jalapeno, which is good.

The other place was next to Greenleaf (which I love) and across from House of Hong called Szechuan Noodle Bowl. It's been around for a long time and I'm sure everyone knows about it but for some reason I'd never gone in. That is one plain room, and the chair that I picked left my face about six inches above the table, but jesus that was some good soup. I started with the green onion pancakes, then had a taste of spicy beef noodle soup, some spinach dumplings and some pork dumplings. All were great. I liked that the portions, while cheap, were not huge. I like filling up on a good XL pho sometimes, but the smaller sizes here made the food seem more refined somehow. And it was, despite the bright light and beyond-casual service.

It seems like it's easier to have a very good experience in the I. D. by not spending a lot of money than it is in the other neighborhoods. All of my expensive blowout meals down there have been somewhat disappointing, while the really inexpensive ones have been winners. I don't find that to be the case around town generally.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

• 2 weeks later...
When I went to lunch at Green Leaf yesterday, I noticed that there's a new place open next door called Hong Kong Noodle House.  It was packed and the menu looks very interesting.  Anyone been or have the 411?

I went to go to Green Leaf tonight, but we got there too late so we went to Hong Kong Noodle House. Even at 11:00 it was packed (we were also the only non-Asians there). The menu is very extensive - mostly noodles and congee with a few other things, but almost every possible variation of the noodles and congee. I got the sliced liver and kidney, much to the surprise of our waitress - any myself. I'd never had liver or kidney, so I was a little wary. It turned out to be pretty good, actually better than my friend's more pedestrian BBQ pork. I definitely want to go back and sample more stuff off the menu, they have a lot of good looking side dishes.

Unfortunately the reason I was going to Green Leaf was to review it for the UW's paper, and it's due tomorrow... whoops :wacko: Luckily I have a lot of previous experience there :biggrin:

When I went to lunch at Green Leaf yesterday, I noticed that there's a new place open next door called Hong Kong Noodle House.  It was packed and the menu looks very interesting.  Anyone been or have the 411?

I went to go to Green Leaf tonight, but we got there too late so we went to Hong Kong Noodle House. Even at 11:00 it was packed (we were also the only non-Asians there). The menu is very extensive - mostly noodles and congee with a few other things, but almost every possible variation of the noodles and congee. I got the sliced liver and kidney, much to the surprise of our waitress - any myself. I'd never had liver or kidney, so I was a little wary. It turned out to be pretty good, actually better than my friend's more pedestrian BBQ pork. I definitely want to go back and sample more stuff off the menu, they have a lot of good looking side dishes.

Unfortunately the reason I was going to Green Leaf was to review it for the UW's paper, and it's due tomorrow... whoops :wacko: Luckily I have a lot of previous experience there :biggrin:

Oddly enough, I went into Hong Kong Noodle House just yesterday (after having a great meal at Greenleaf) to pick up a take-out menu. Anna, the friendly waitperson, remembered me from my late-night meals at Canton Noodle House (accross the street from Ocean Seafood). She said that the both HK & Canton Noodle House had the same owners but that the "flavors" of the dishes of the two establishments were completely different. Thanks jkonick for reminding me that this is a place to try soon. Cheers...

That's interesting that they're owned by the same people. HK Noodle House reminded me, in terms of what dishes they served, of Canton, but I thought HK was better. The broth at Canton tends to be REALLY salty, and the noodles at HK were better. Also, the menu seemed bigger. Report back when you go, white lotus!

• 3 weeks later...

I like Jade Garden a lot for Dim Sum.I like Mike's for noodles - when I walk by, the aroma of the soupswafting out reminds me of Hong Kong. I've been meanin to try their congee. I hear the cod variety is particularly good. The place I go the most often, though (and I live next door to the aformentioned Hong Kong that is being renovated) is Kau Kau. They have *the* best char siu and roast duck. the roast pork is juicy and tender inside and just a little crisp in its rich redness (no supermarket bright pink rind here). The roast duck is incredibly rich and so so juicy. I save he bones and make soup with them. They do a mean sie pork as well and a great chinese broccoli. I would wager that there is almost nothing there that a vegetarian could eat apart from white rice. Even the chinese broccoli is swimming in pork fat.

I go there far far too often. I can feel my arteries clogging just typing this.

For Sichuan style cooking I like the place up on the w corner of 12th and Jackson. Called Sichuanese Cuisine or something to that effect.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Sea Garden has a wonderful dish, seafood over crispy noodles.  I am curious if the technique to prepare the noodles has a name.  Anyone know?

I haven't been to Sea Garden in a couple of years, but I'm assuming it's the wirey, crispy noodles that are usually referred to as "Hong Kong" or "Cantonese" style (To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to...). Or I've just said "crispy" myself before.

I finally made it to Jade Garden for dim sum today. Unfortunately I was in a big group, and they stuck us upstairs, so no actual carts coming around. Instead, they gave us a card with dishes on it that we could check off, then have them served. The list seemed kinda small, and I saw a lot of things on the way out that I'm sure weren't on there (chicken feet!).

Aside from that, it was good. I was a little disappointed by their shrimp and chive dumplings (not enough chive, some of them were almost burnt on the outside) and the taro dumplings, which sort of just tasted like potato chips. Everything else was great there, better than anything else I've had in Seattle.

I agree it does suck to sit away from the main floor at JG. But, if there is something you want to don't see on the card, just ask-they'll bring it if they have it.

• 5 months later...

Since I'm working in the ID now I will be trying every place! haha!

Today I went to Canton Wonton House. for $5 I had a huge bowl of wonton soup with baby bok choy, bbq pork and noodles. YUM! everything about it was great. Anyone have any favorites here that I should try next time, cause there will definately be a next time.

You can try Shanghai Garden just to get a sense of what they are, but note they're just mediocre. For better ones, you'll want to make a trip to Richmond (Vancouver). Check the eGullet boards for Vancouver for more info. Best I've had are at Joe's Shanghai in New York - better even than I've had in Shanghai and Taipei (though they're darn good in those places!).

Now I'm reading the current cook off thread about Xiao Long Bao, I've never had this shanghai soup/dumplings. Anyone know a good place in the ID that I can try this??

You can try Shanghai Garden just to get a sense of what they are, but note they're just mediocre. For better ones, you'll want to make a trip to Richmond (Vancouver). Check the eGullet boards for Vancouver for more info. Best I've had are at Joe's Shanghai in New York - better even than I've had in Shanghai and Taipei (though they're darn good in those places!).
Now I'm reading the current cook off thread about Xiao Long Bao, I've never had this shanghai soup/dumplings. Anyone know a good place in the ID that I can try this??

I was just at Shanghai garden today but I usually just order their lunch special! :angry:

Not technically the ID but I finally made it up to Saigon Deli on 12th and Jackson and had myself a very tasty bahn mi ga (chicken) today. yum!!! and for $1.75? that is crazy!

Yeserday I had some chow mein at La La Guac (sp?) it was ok but there was something very weird to me about the place, it was the first time I was worried about eating the food- not for any particular reason though.

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Not technically the ID but I finally made it up to Saigon Deli on 12th and Jackson and had myself a very tasty bahn mi ga (chicken) today. yum!!! and for $1.75? that is crazy!

Yeserday I had some chow mein at La La Guac (sp?) it was ok but there was something very weird to me about the place, it was the first time I was worried about eating the food- not for any particular reason though.

Saigon Deli is our family home away from home, since we live near by -- loads of great stuff, essentially free. I'm not up on my Vietnames food names, but the cold version they serve of the rice-paper wrapper around the ground pork/mushroom mixture is so addictive I can eat portion after portion of it. Plus great banh mi. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.