• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where have you been in the ID lately?

It seems that recommendations in the International District tend to be a bit time-sensitive, with places closing (other than the old school mainstays), changing hands, expanding, etc. etc. etc., so I thought it would be nice to have a new thread where folks could post their recent experiences.

As for myself, I've had a couple of really smashing meals lately at Malay Satay Hut on 12th. Steamed Tilapia with black bean sauce the other week was incredible; my dining companion had an interesting chicken cashew dish that was served in somethng like a huge hollowed-out, deep-fried yam (sorry if this is a standard Malaysian dish that I'm butchering the description of). Great service as well.

So let's hear 'em!

we had a couple bowls of hot and satisfying minced beef congee, wonton +meatball noodle soup and fishball noodle soups at Mike's Noodle House. i'm chinese american, and "jook" (congee) was often served at home ~ the stuff at Mikes was better than moms (hopefully she wont see this) and the wontons were big and full of meat and shrimp. we also had some "chinese donuts" long fried sticks that you dunk in the broth (they remind me of big, non sugared churros) the cauldron-hot plastic bowls are offered in 2 sizes. we chose "small" and ordered way too much (we also had noodles with spicy pork) so that was 4 dishes for 2 of us. its cheap and fast and filling.

we're going back soon, as we both were lusting after the plates of chinese broccoli with oyster sauce... and to try the wide rice noodles instead of the thin yellow ones.

Mike's Noodle House

418 Maynard Ave.

Seattle, WA

Phone: 206-389-7099

I gotta second the Malay Satay hut. That place has some good chow.

Once place that doesn't get mentioned much is Harbor City. The speciality is BBQ duck and pork but they have really good seafood as well. Ask Chong what is fresh today.

Everyone knows about Seven Stars Pepper, but I just had a stellar dish there I'd never tried and must tell you about-the whole fish in black bean sauce. It was outstanding and an terrific deal-$11.95 for enough fish for 4 (well, we had two crabs and other side dishes as well, but it WAS a lot of fish).

Thank you Kiliki and others for recommending 7 Stars Pepper. It was near where Loong Foong used to be.

I been dying to go there after reading your posts and finally made it there this week. We had the schezuan dan dan noodles with hand shaven noodles (YUMMY!), then had the schezuan crab (the best! We cleaned the plate pretty good), then ordered the whole fish with black bean sauce and a dish of garlic green beans. The green beans were perfect! However, they ended up serving us steamed white fillet of fish with ginger/soy sauce with green scallions and cilantro. It was good, but I really went there for the whole fish with bb sauce!! Dough!!

The atmosphere was quite cozy and nice once you get inside. If you get the waitress with the brown teeth, make sure you are VERY clear about your order. I hope what we ate was dan dan noodles -- noodles with spicy/soupy sauce. Can someone confirm this for me?

I also had a cup of sweet & sour soup (on the house), and it really hit the spot.

They were doing a brisk business for lunch and the lunch specials looked to be really great deals! I took my camera for some shots, but as soon as the food arrived, I blanked out and did not remember anything until we were all done. Sorry.

-Moose

The last place I went was back in April and it was Sea Garden I thought it was OK but my friend thought it was some of the best Chinese food he'd eaten in Seattle.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

7 Star Pepper is on 12th and Jackson in a small strip mall on the 2nd floor.

It's on the southeast corner, and there's underground parking.

The favorite dish of both Iris (age 18 months) and me is the ants on a tree; we can pretty much demolish a platter between the two of us. Last time we had dinner there Matthew ordered the chong qin (I think) chicken, which was very spicy and extremely delicious.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Hungry Moose-That fish is exactly what I had that I like so much-I thought we ordered "whole fish with bb sauce" but come to think of it, my Taiwanese friend ordered it in Mandarin after a lengthy conversation with the waitress so maybe it is something else.

FYI, every vegetable dish I've had there was fantastic. Garlic broccoli, the double mushroom dish, deep fried tofu with black mushroom, hot pepper shredded potatoes-all delicious.

Wow! Iris can eat spicy food for a kid! I, too, love the Ants on a Tree.

Ah strange, I'm glad I had your fish dish then Kiliki. But, I need to go back and try the whole fish with BB sauce -- the waitress said that one comes fried. I bet that is tasty also.

I also want to try the ants on trees (it's part of the lunch special!), hand shaven noodle chow mein, some more veggies, and chicken dishes.

LaurieA-B: My 23 month old loved the steamed fish and green beans!

elswinger: I like Sea Garden fine, they do crab right and their salt & pepper prawns in shell are awesome. The pea vine veggie dish is divine, but expensive. I prefer Sea Garden Bellevue for their nice service.

-Moose

Hey, what ever happened to the King Cafe? Although their Dim Sum was a bit greasy, they had the very best Lo Bak ko I've ever tasted...

I'm going to miss that place!

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Hey, what ever happened to the King Cafe?  Although their Dim Sum was a bit greasy, they had the very best Lo Bak ko I've ever tasted...

I'm going to miss that place!

They were indeed the best ever. That building is being rehabbed, at long last, as the new home of the Wing Luke Museum. A fine idea, but a shame to lose a neighborhood treasure, too.

Speaking of rehabs, for some reason today was the first day I noticed that the Hong Kong building has also broken free of the usual ID property/history binds and is also being rehabbed, which will bring much light and wonderfulness back to that block.

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

• 6 months later...
Has anyone been to Green Village? I'm looking for a good chinese place for lunch close to the Amazon buildings.

Yup, the owner is my mom's second cousin's third cousin twice removed, but nepotism aside :laugh: it's quite good. Everything comes out in less than five minutes and the wok dishes all possess wok hay. The dan dan noodles are decent, not Seven Stars Pepper but good.

Rocky

I went to Jade Garden last week and it was great. I've heard really good things about their dim sum from Chinese friends of mine, but I went at about one in the morning (thank god for late night Chinese restaurants) so no dim sum this time. Very extensive menu and they cooked our food in literally five minutes. If it wasn't so good I would've sworn they'd just thawed the complete dish in the microwave, it was that fast. I'll definitely have to go back for dim sum with my Chinese friend so she can order all the good stuff for me :biggrin:

I went to Vegetarian Bistro (King between Maynard and 7th).  I had some really good eggplant, and had one of the "chief specials" with bamboo pith (which I had for the first time, and really like the texture of).

I went there a few weeks ago too and had dim sum. It was all really good, especially the turnip cakes. All the fake seafood was good, and actually tasted like real seafood. I'd definitely go back and again to try some of the non-dim sum stuff. Much better than Wholesome Vegetasia which was there before. Everything there tasted like gasoline and their dishes had an uncanny ability to get cold after being on the table for about thirty seconds. Vegetarian Bistro is definitely a level above that, and above other Asian veg places like Bamboo Garden, Teapot, which I think are gross.

Szechuan Noodle Bowl is probably one of my favorite places in the ID just for their scallion pancakes alone. My favorite nights are when the ladies are making dumplings and pancakes at a table near by. There is something so cozy about the experience. A good noodle bowl, some pancakes and dumplings.

I used to go there with my two geeky roomates who would spend all of their discussing the "subtle art" of how to hold chopsticks and how if they trained to be assassins they could do a lot of damage.

• 1 month later...

The Vegetarian Bistro is fantastic! I'm a dim sum fan, but I don't eat pork or shellfish, which makes a regular dim sum restaurant pretty much out of the question. The Vegetarian Bistro had incredibly tasty dim sum, and they were fast and attentive. The dim sum is $3 per order, but they have other stuff too.