• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what do I pair with this?

Ericanyc

Hi-

I am making pasta with a saffron cream sauce and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for wine pairing (also-- I am on a budget and time constraint here).  Thanks!!

If its me, I'm thinking Fiano de Avilino or Greco de Tufo; Feudi di San Gregorio makes a good one of each that is widely distributed and should be in the $20 and under range.

Other possibles include Anselmi's Soave (San Vincenzo is cheap), unoaked chardonnay from anywhere (but Chablis is nice) and good Muscadet. I think the wine should have enough cut to stand with a cream sauce but should not be so intense (or woody) that the saffron gets lost.

Then too, there's always bubbly.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

I know it's too late now but......

I would have gone another way with this dish.

With wine and food pairings you can go against the grain or with the grain.

For a rich cream sauce I usually like a big rich wine.

A nice buttery chardonnay --in this case.

IMOP a rich sauce with cream usually overwhelms most wines so i like to complement the dish not counter it.

anyway--

it is often a lot of fun to take two wines with contrasting styles and open em up with dinner and see which one works best.

The other wine can go back in the fridge for later.