• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese Wiz

jrichman

Whiz be Whiz, don't it? I didn't realize there were any other levels/possibilities to this question.

Whiz jus' is.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I think Kraft is the one and only manufacturer of Whiz.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

There are indeed a variety of industrial application whiz-like products on the market. When I used to work at the pool concession stand in my neighborhood when I was younger we would serve nachos with this whizzy vaguely cheeselike product that came out of huge drums... I always found it a bit watery, but since we simmered it away in crockpots from morning till night, it was decently thickened by the time the munchie craving crowd came around.

Go with real whiz for steaks.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Cheese Whiz.. there may be imitators, but there is no greater pasturized processed cheese spread...

while I am sure I lose a day or so of my life when I ingest a Whiz-steak, it always seems worth it!

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Whiz jus' is.

If someone were to start a thread on food aphorisms, I'd put this one at the very top. Katie Loeb, Resident Zen Goddess of eGullet.

:laugh::laugh:

I'm going to have to add that to my sig line...

I don't think I'd ever thought of a barely organic "cheese food product" as zen before. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Cheese Whiz.. there may be imitators, but there is no greater pasturized processed cheese spread...

Whiz has a slight tanginess that I don't taste in other cheese sauces. It's probably because I grew up eating cheese whiz sandwiches (on Wonder bread, of course), but I don't like the taste of non-Whiz fake cheese.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

In defense of one of the few processed food products that I will willingly consume, the ingredients aren't as plastic as one might think. I'll take stabilizers, milkfat, and flavoring over the more arcane and creepy-sounding chemicals found in a lot of processed foods any day.