• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas in July at Grey Lodge Pub

john b

Tomorrow night (7/8). The beer lineup looks great:

Troegs Mad Elf, Victory Resolution Porter, Rogue Santa's Private Reserve, and Sly Fox Christmas Ale (and maybe a barrel of a Manayunk Christmas beer). We will also have bottles of Mars Christmas Bock, Camerons Christmas Ale, Stoudts Winter Ale.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Christmas in July is big fun. It's always nice to read of other pubs doing it.

Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel, CA has celebrated it for years. Here's their current line-up of beers on tap:

2001 Anchor Our Special Ale

2002 Anchor Our Special Ale

2004 Anchor Our Special Ale

2003 Marin Hoppy Holidaze

2004 AleSmith YuleSmith

2004 Gouden Carolus Noel

2004 Delirium Noel

2004 Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux

Rick

I used to have a thing about drinking big beers in the summer. I would always opt for a wit, pilsner, etc. Well, after having four holiday beers at the Grey Lodge Pub on Friday night, my mind is changed.

First, upstairs at the GLP is a great thing--a SMOKE FREE :smile: bar with ten taps, nine craft brews and one (Coors Light, I think) megabrew. I tried all of the available holiday beers on tap--Troegs Mad Elf, Sly Fox Christmas Ale (a gingerbread man in a glass), Victory Resolution Porter (maybe the best porter I've ever had) and Rogue Santa's Private Reserve. My favorite was the Victory, followed closely by the Sly Fox and Troegs. I've never been a big Rogue fan. The SPR was good, but nothing special.

The food is very good. The menu is small, but what we ate was very tasty, and what I saw others eating made me want to come back the next night to try. Three of us shared Thai curry mussels, Buffalo wings, duck spring rolls and fish/chips.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.