• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Jersey Mexican

finker99

i know a few good places in bergen county.  For higher end food Mexicali Blues on cedar lane in teaneck is pretty good with live music later at night.

For a basic taco stand El Gran Mexicano in bogota is great.  Small, byo with a nice counter, clean and authentic.  Nice mole.  It is located across the street from the bogota ambulance corps

fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Finker - I wanted to share my previous post with you so you do not think I am out to slam Finks. On the contrary, I highly recommended it and will continue to do so.  Keep up the great cooking.  

Posted: May 20 2002,07:53    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

davidc

BBQ lover - if you are in Bergen County try Finks

finksfunky.net

they use Southern Pride Smoker and this is good stuff

first time i did not like but they have gotten over their growing pains and have great chicken and ribs

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly wanted to ressurect this thread to hopefully open it up to more suggestions.  

Since it would be unfair for me to take without giving, I'd like to say that The Potrero Grill on E. Mercer St. in Hackensack is a favorite of mine.  So far, I haven't ordered anything there that hasn't been up to par and the steaks have a special place in my heart.  Sometimes they could benefit from a little precise trimming, but the taste always brings a big smile to my face.  For those with a sweet tooth, I highly recommend getting a strawberry (or other fruit) shake along with your meal; Reasonably priced and almost always exploding with flavor.

Somewhat less authentic (though I've yet to find anything TRULY authentic in the area... Potrero Grill doesn't fit that bill either) but still very enjoyable when I'm in the area is the Mexicali Rose in Montclair.  It's a much livelier atmosphere in general (owing mostly to the neighborhood I would imagine) and there are some interesting specials on the menu.  I recommend the Mango Durango (chicken or pork) which is basically chunks of your preferred meat in a sweet mango-based BBQ sauce with mango pieces.  It's somewhat more soupy than it sounds though, which actually seems to be the case with many of their specials.  Actually some of the specials can seem very similar after a while, but while the variety may get disappointing, the flavor does not.  

Well, those would be a couple of recommendations from me.  Now comes my appeal for suggestions!  Does anyone know of any Mexican restaurants/foodstands that might serve huevos con chorizo?  I'm not talking about sliced chorizo like you find in most Spanish-related restaurants, but the Mexican-styled ground chorizo blended with scrambled eggs (and sometimes potatoes) in a burrito.  It was always a favorite of mine when I lived on the Mexican border (El Paso) for a couple of years in my youth, but I've never been able to find an example of it back here.  That's my specific request, but anyone with any other Mexican suggestions is invited to post them here as well.

We've hashed around Mexican food--at least in Northern NJ--in this forum before... if you look deep enough into the past.   Unfortunately the search engine breaks down if you are searching for stuff more than a few weeks old, it seems -- Wait a second here it is (click here, for some older discussion on this...topic was called "Non - Fast Mexican").  

The conclusion was that it's a pretty sad scene.  A few of us have been looking desperately, and we've been pretty consistently dissapointed.  A few minor bright spots (like La Posada in Teaneck) are mentioned... but its still a pretty sad group of candidates.

I had this REALLY rubbed in my face when I visited a relative in Kansas City last year.  K.C. is not exactly what you'd consider a prime culinary town, and it wouldn't normally come to mind quickly when you thought "Mexican"... but the Mex food in the dingiest little strip mall joint I had there blew away the best I've had here by a very large amount.  I guessed it helped that A LOT OF MEXICANS LIVE THERE (mostly because there is a big migrant worked population which came in for the Beef industry and the local farming).  :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Kansas City has a very significant Mexican population, and has since before the town became the jumping off point for American exploration of the west.

On my occasional trips to Chicago, I've found myself out in a remote place called McCook (south of I-55) where the Santa Fe Railway crosses the Indiana Harbor Belt line. Many SF freight trains come to a complete stop, which allows boarding by Mexican folks travelling home. Sometimes there will be 10-20 people waiting to jump aboard. Next stop Galesburg, then Kansas City, Amarillo, El Paso, and on home...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We tried the new mexican place in Fort Lee (on Lemoine just north of the 7-11) called Cinco de Mayo. The food was pretty good, and the service was friendly. They've only been open a couple weeks and we were planning on trying it again before writing about it, but I figured, since you brought it up, why not?

For Cal-Mex/Tacos we like Badlands Tacos in Oradell.

There's a place in Chatham called Lupe's Casita, or similar. It's in a old railroad diner on Main Street (was loma Linda, IIRC). Two doors down from Danielle's across from the  Chatham library.

On my list to check out.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Well, I'm going to take this week to try out some suggestions from this topic and the previous one.  I'll report back on my findings.  How comprehensive that report is all depends on how many Mexican meals I can wrestle out of my dining friends!

There's a place in Chatham called Lupe's Casita, or similar. It's in a old railroad diner on Main Street (was loma Linda, IIRC). Two doors down from Danielle's across from the  Chatham library.

On my list to check out.

We enjoyed this place when it was Mexico Linda. Hope the new owners do as good a job.

Good thread and stuff here to check out. My only comment on Mexicali Rose in Montclair is that their bizarre customer "dis-service" tactics will prevent me from ever returning. We went on a Saturday with a party of three, had soup and entrees and did not dawdle over our food (40 minutes from start to finish). When I asked about desserts the waiter got a funny look (it was now about 6:45 on a Saturday evening) and said "let me check". He returned and informed us that the manager would not allow him to sell us dessert because "it's getting busy and we need the table (there were about a dozen people in total waiting for seats at that point and it's a moderately large restaurant).  Naturally, I left a generous tip as the waiter was good and was just doing his job but I can't imagine ever going back. Very weird experience and there are so many restaurants out there that actually WANT me to buy dessert and spend more money... I'll patronize them instead.

phaelon56 - It's funny that you mention this experience at Mexicali Rose.  I've been there many times, but only a few of those times were on weekends when they're understandably busy.  Fortunately for me, my status as a fairly-regular (and very talkative) customer means that I've never felt rushed to leave as others on this board seem to have been.  

However, I did mention on a another thread that a waiter at Mexicali Rose had suggested Café Eclectic for desserts.  This recommendation came as a result of my stating that the desserts at Mexicali Rose were really not very good (of the three I had tried anyway).  The waiter explained his theory that it was to discourage customers from ordering desserts in order to free up tables more quickly.  Personally, I think a better idea would be to just NOT serve desserts.  Certainly it would prevent customers from feeling slighted by this "dis-service" on the weekends.

On to another restaurant now -

I went to El Gran Mexicano in Bogota twice this week and I must say that I was very satisfied with my expectations.  Fink had recommended it as "a basic taco stand" which was "great" and he's certainly right.  My first visit was take-out with mixed results.  The plantains I ordered as an appetizer were entirely too greasy (NOT recommended) and made me wary of the steak chimichangas I had waiting.  However, the chimichangas were actually fried much more lightly than I'm used to and it was a welcome change; very flavorful with just enough crispness to accent the filling without overpowering it.  I also tried the chicken mole which was very nice as well; very satisfying.  Both entreés came with perfect Mexican rice and black beans.

I picked up a take out menu as I was waiting for my food (I had ordered from the house menu) and noticed that they open at 6 a.m. and include quite a few breakfast selections including my coveted huevos con chorizo!  It turns out that the chorizo IS sliced in this dish and it's served as a platter rather than as a burrito, but the cooks told me they could prepare it the way I liked if I asked for it next time.  Needless to say, I was anticipating my return visit.

I went back yesterday for a late lunch and the owner was there this time.  The cooks made my huevos con chorizo burrito by chopping the chorizo up into much smaller bits than they usually use.  The burrito was served with the same rice and beans and the owner asked if I wanted guacomole and/or sour cream with it.  We were on exactly the same wavelength though and both thought that sour cream rather than guacomole was the right choice.  The chorizo they use has a flavor very close to what I was used to in El Paso and Mexico, so I asked the owner where he bought it.  He told me that he goes to delis in Passaic and said he would get a card from the place that sold him this chorizo so he could pass it on to me the next time I came in.  We also talked a bit about the differences in Mexican sausages availble in the area.  Needless to say, I will certainly be going back for many visits in the future.

Rachel and I at at El Gran Mexicano last night. You're right, it's an itty bitty hole in the wall place with excellent food. I had 5 different kinds of tacos, rachel had the snapper. Food was excellent, we will definitely be going back.

I will also add that their mole (which I asked for a little condiment bowl of to try with my tacos) is some of the best I've ever had -- very powerful, bitter taste, like good mole should be. The familly is from Puebla, and thats about the best mole there is, as it originates from there.

The salsa is excellent, very strong cilantro/herbal taste, correct consistency for dipping, but not spicy at all. If you want to supe it up, they are more than happy to give you a bowl of mashed chipoltles in adobo sauce that you can use to turn up the heat. Awesome.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Note to all: if youre gonna go to El Gran Mexicano for breakfast (they have huevos rancheros, mexican hot chocolate, omlettes, etc), you gotta do it during the week. We went there this morning at 11:30, and they shooed us away -- They dont open until noon during the weekensd.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Jason - That's a very important note about the hours on weekends!  I'm sorry you had to be disappointed in order to get that information.  The take-out menu I have clearly reads "Open Everyday starting with Breakfast: 6:00AM - 10:00PM".  Only the lunch specials are listed as being restricted to the weekdays.

I didn't have the chance to try any other Mexican restaurants in the area this weekend because I was in Boston (where I did find one with a GREAT atmosphere, but that's irrelevant to this board).  However, I will be trying at least a couple of different Mexican restaurants this week and I'll be going back to El Gran Mexicano for breakfast very soon!  Findings to follow.

Just a reminder that Five Burro Tacos, 9266 Kennedy Boulevard in North Bergen, was quite good, although I haven't been in a while. The owner is a CIA grad who used to cook in New York and opened up this place with his Mexican former sous-chef, if I remember correctly. It's a small place with take-out and a few stools.

• 1 month later...
I went to El Gran Mexicano in Bogota twice this week and I must say that I was very satisfied with my expectations.

Went back here today for lunch today (I had a an appointment out in Clifton). I've decided that if you stick to the simple tacos (real tacos in soft corn wrappers with nothing but meat, cheese, some herbs and whatever sauce you place on it, this place is unbeatable in this area. I'm not even sure I want to try anything more complicated here... I love those tacos too much, esp. the chorizo and flank steak versions.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 3 weeks later...

Even though i risked running into Tommy, i ventured to El Gran Mexicano yesterday. As i pulled over the side of the road to get an address check, i noticed i must be right by it, and looked across the street and there it was. It had all the makings of a place i would love... "hole in the wall with great food."

Unfortunately, i was disappointed. Although it was "ok", i would describe it as nothing really special. However, my perception may be jaded since i live near Mission Burritos. What is Mission Burritos you ask? Well, for those that have missed my prior recommendation and ©ravings, it is a similar place, with only SLIGHTLY better decor, but the food is 10x better (IMO).

Mission Burritos is located on 4th Street in Hoboken between Garden St and Park Ave. They do a BIG takeout and delivery business, although they have a counter to eat at which faces a window which allows you look at the park across the street. When the weather is nice, they also have 4 tables out front on the sidewalk. The food is as authentic as i've had, all the ingredients are fresh, and for the "hole in the wall" that it is, it is kept VERY clean (the kitchen is "open", right behind the counter).

Nothing against El Gran Mexicano, and if i'd never eaten at Mission Burritos, i may have had a slightly more favorable review, but Mission (for me) is the "bar" to compare all other to, and this missed the mark.

If you try Mission Burittos, please post a review, as i've never received add'l feedback on this site for my prior mentions of it, yet everyone i take there loves it. My recommendation is for a Chicken Burittos (a "lunch" size, served all day, is enuff even for dinner) with black beans. Both the lunch ($6.50) and dinner ($8.00) portions come with a small salad and rice and beans on the side. I've gone there with a few vegetarian friends and they've enjoyed it too, so if there happens to be something else on the menu you want, feel free to try that instead, as most of the dishes rate great to excellent.

By the way, at El Gran i had a couple of chicken tacos and a side of chips, so i think i ordered correctly. I took the meal to go and ate on the "wall" in front of the post office, as they had no A/C and it was awfully hot in there.

I was hoping this would be another true find (like my all time favorite, The LightHouse has turned into, and i also think Fink's falls into this category), but i guess you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince (like Lighthouse and Fink's).

I also tried stopping by Five Burro Tacos on the way home (mentioned in a prior, but active, thread), but i think it's no longer there, as the number has been disconnected and after circling the block once, the location where the address seems to have been is now a fenced in vacant lot, so it apeared as if the building has been torn down (if i was looking in the right place).

El Gran's chicken (and pork, actually) were a bit dry. What I found best were the steak and/or chorizo tacos, with adobado sauce or mole on the side.

tommy, you'll have to judge for yourself, with such different reactions to pick from. One thing I'll say is that its definitely not Americanized.

edit - and Five Burro Tacos is indeed no longer there. I drove there and looked as well.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

thereuare: If you didnt order a side of mole sauce to go with your tacos you missed the whole point of the place.