• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Wash. Coast trip. Any don't misses here?

I should have started a new thread since we have decided to head to the Oregon coast by heading east from Olympia. Are there any great places to eat/stay from Olympia to Aberdeen to Long Beach to Astoria? Then we'll hit the Oregon coast with everyone's suggestions from there.

The Shelburne Inn is very nice. We have had a few great meals at the Shoalwater, but our last experience there was very disappointed. We now like the 42nd Street Cafe, www.42ndstreetcafe.com In Chinook, I highly suggest the Sanctuary, but check for hours and days open, I believe they only serve dinner on Thurs.-Sun. Very good Swedish meatballs and fresh, fresh salmon there.

If you want to stay in Astoria, the Hotel Elliott is very nice. www.hotelelliott.com and Astoria was featured in Coastal Living this month. T. Paul's Urban Cafe, Cannery Cafe and Fulio's are some great places to eat. Have fun!! :)

If you're hungry before you hit the coast, you can get really good fried oysters at a restaurant in South Bend. Now, this is not a destination restaurant, certainly nothing fancy, but being on Willapa Bay, those oysters are minutes out of the water, and the cook knows how to treat them right. Don't know the name of the place, but it's on the right as you drive through town, on the river. Just pull into the main parking lot, with the visitor center/booth. If it's a nice day, sit outside, watch the river slide by with a brew, and feel your blood pressure drop.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”