• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants Under The Radar (merged)

Also, who has been to Saveur, you are not telling us about it and we want to know!  Please post something if you have been - especially if your experience was positive, I heard something else good about it, but from an insider.

Been there twice since it changed name from PM a few months ago. Once for lunch and once for dinner. Both times we were the only table!

Food was good, somehow the deco didn't do it.

6 for me. I'm going to print out this list and stick it on the fridge, right next to the highlighter job I did on the index pages of the Entertainment Book.

Mark - too bad you didn't have a great experience at Mouse and the Bean. I've always had great meals there (usually lunch), and particularly love their chicken quesdilla. They've changed up the menu a little bit, recently, and I've only been there once since. I'll have to go back for another recon mission. Hint for people who haven't been there before: bring a telescope. The menu, which is painted on round terra cotta plates, hangs above and behind the counter and has foiled my many attempts to read it. And my vision isn't particularly bad. Try out Tacos Mexico Rico next time - also on the list and just up the street. I order up a variety of their soft tacos, whose fillings range from carne asada to some kind of tongue. They're tiny enough that you can try every one on the menu for cheap like dirt.

My favourite under-the-radar joint is Caffe Presto Panini on Hornby, whose virtues I have touted in the Entertainment Book and Hole in the Wall threads. Packed at lunch, quiet at dinner (with only one employee - cook and waiter in one - at night). He closes up when it gets quiet, which can be anywhere from 7-9pm, so don't go too late. Tasty variety of paninis on crispy, crusty rectangles of bread (my favourite is the asparagus and prosciutto) and nice, simple pasta accompaniments. If there's two of you, choose one pasta and one panini - chef will happily split the order for you and you get the best of both worlds. And LEAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT. They have what I consider THE BEST TIRAMISU IN THE CITY. Rich, liqueur-soaked, and served with a helping of tangy/sweet mascarpone sauce drizzled over top, with a bit of chocolate sauce too. If you put this tiramisu and the HSG's gingerbread pudding in a room together and turned the lights down low, you would combine the city's two best desserts into a love child SO tasty that it would instantly collapse into a singularity of extremely dense dessert perfection. You'd probably have to scrape (or lick) a bunch of chocolate and caramel sauce off the walls after the explosion. I'll help.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

• 6 months later...

I was invited to dinner at the Beach House at Dunderave Pier on Saturday and I was a little concerned. The last time I was there I was really disapointed, mind you it has been some time since I was there (before the new renovations). Man, was I suprised. The moment we walked in the door we were greeted by a very nice hostess and given a really nice table. That's all fine and good and something I would expect from any self respecting hospitality based business, but the food and table service were amazing. Our table shared some calamari with a spicy chili sauce that was one of the best I've ever had. 2 people at the table had a prawn and scallop dish that was just fantastic. Another person order the lobster ravioli, a dish that seems to be on too many menus but this one was perfect. I had the tuna and again a hit. Being a huge creme brulee fan I order at almost every place I go and the trio of brulee was so good that it is difficult to describe. I know that this post may not come as a huge suprise to people that have been going for the last few years but I just wanted to let others know that if they are like me and had the impression that the beach house was a dated tourist trap that you (and I) couldn't be more wrong. My apologies Beach House.

Edited by ktbear (log)

Beach House is always a good bet - if you can get in.

What about Star Anise? I haven't heard squat about it in years and had assumed it had disappeared...and yet, driving down 12th the other day - there it was. Has anybody been lately? Does it need to be rediscovered?

I was invited to a friend’s birthday party at the Cannery. Hadn't been there for years and it was fabulous!

Odd, I was at the Cannery a few months ago and it was terrible. As for the Beach House though, I agree that it is top notch. They don't get enough love on this forum.

I was invited to a friend’s birthday party at the Cannery. Hadn't been there for years and it was fabulous!

Odd, I was at the Cannery a few months ago and it was terrible. As for the Beach House though, I agree that it is top notch. They don't get enough love on this forum.

I was there not toooo long ago and I also found it (surprisingly) quite impressive. Can you elaborate on "terrible"? That's a pretty harsh word...

k

<edited to add that I say "surprisingly" because I was quite ignorant and dismissive of it in the past>

Edited by kurtisk (log)

8 for me. I have never heard of some of these! Dang! Better start googling them.

I've only been dissapointed once at Cannery. I find the food there is really consistently good although I will say that I've been getting a little tired of being told that their oil is infused with lobster :biggrin:

Rangoli's isn't on that list? :) I guess it's too well linked with Vij's

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

For one under the radar, I ended up at exotico brasil cafe on charles, just off of commercial drive for lunch and ordered the Feijoada, a traditional dish of black beans with pork, beef and sausage.

It was served with sauteed kale and rice and was really delicious. The black beans were very flavorful and must have had a fair amount of pork fat involved considering how rich they tasted. The meat was tender too. Nice chilli oil on the side with a tangy salsa and another condiment I couldn't identify. My friend had the meat fritata and said it was good but I didn't manage a bite for myself. The menu is pretty simple (I can't remember much on it), but the feijoada was good enough to have me wanting to go back for a another try.

The dish was only $9, but my americano with a touch of steamed milk came out to almost $4 which was a bit on the high side.

Regardless, worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood I think.

I'm at a middling 8. My only excuse is that I've been away for a few years :hmmm:

As for restaurants that I'm surprised didn't make the list, Cassis (though is it still under the radar?), Pair (see prior question) and Ajisai (which has some of the arguably best sushi in town). I have heard that the Ordinary Cafe is great and, given that it is just down the street, will definitely be next on my list.

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

Back in the day in university we used to live at the Octopus' Garden. I still have one of their cool T-shirts that everyone used to ask me about.

Sada, the owner and chef is a very nice guy. Had a cool, funky ambience back then, if a bit "bright". Prices were reasonable and they were one of the first ones to bring Dynamite Rolls to the lower mainland.

Their Chicken Karaage is the best i've had!

However, a couple of years ago they changed their course of business. Higher prices, more involved menu and slightly bigger portions. That way it was less busy but not necessarily less for business. Certainly, it was less pressure on the staff.

Now that we have kids we've only been there once in the last 2-3 years or so and it was very good but a different vibe. I'd certainly go there again. That's one restaurant that I associate my 20's to and it will always hold a place in my heart and mind.

So, if you have a chance to go to the Octopus' Garden i'd urge you to check it out and say HI! to Sada for me.

pez, the ordinary cafe is wonderful. the meal we had there was amazing. fresh ingredients, simple and clean flavours. it's just a shame that we haven't been back. it's the "over the bridge" thing! this is a good reminder to go back again.

Quentina

• 7 months later...

Rex Rotisserie and Grill

I did a search and found no references to Rex here on eG, so I guess this thread is apropos. Located on the plaza at Bentall Center Rex probably does the vast majority of its business at lunch and for after work drinks. It was very quiet when my Mum and I visited a week ago Friday. Nothing trend setting food wise, but very solid. Kind of reminded me of the Park Royal Hotel in terms of food, but definintely not as staid in terms of clientele and decor.

Rex was running a $25 three course table d'hote Monday - Friday during August (maybe earler?). I noticed tonight on their website that there's a new menu for September that looks interesting: Rex Grill. Hope to go again if I get back to Vancouver this month - want to try the half pint Guiness stout chocolate mousse...

I did a search and found no references to Rex here on eG...

I mentioned Rex twice on eG last year - in the 'Vancouver Steak Houses' and 'Truth be Told' threads - but they do seem to have stayed under the radar. You're right, Rex is all about the Bentall office crowd: slammed at lunch, dead at dinner, closed on weekends.

Excellent prime rib; best in town IMHO, but if you order it at dinner it probably won't be available rare (they have so little traffic at dinner that they cook it at lunch and hold it). Good service, nice little bar, and they know how to mix a drink. If you're in the area on a weeknight and want a nice slab 'o cow for dinner and don't mind that you might be the only customer, this place is worth it. I like.

Edited to add: I've eaten at 7 of the places on the 2005 list, and I've cooked briefly at 2 of them.

Edited by HKDave (log)

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.