• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gay mission?

This caught my eye today on Jim Romanesko's Media News site and I wondered, what would Jeanne think about it:

Washington Post Style section writer Hank Stuever says: "I think newspapers have always been oddly accommodating to the gay man. I'm going to really stereotype here, but newspapers have always needed a queen to run -- oh, this is so stereotypical, but it's so true -- graphics, features, food, dance, theatre. How are you going to cover all that if you don't have some queens in the newsroom telling people what to do?"

Here's the link to the full interview:

http://www.metroweekly.net/feature/?ak=10

I'm not sure how to react to this. If quoted accurately, do you suspect Hank is just saying what everyone else thinks?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

You know, the newsroom is full of people telling other people what to do. All kinds of people telling all kinds of other  people  about good ideas,  good editing, good writing.  Gays don’t own the franchise on  coming up with  good ideas,  having an understanding of food, dance and theater or graphics.

I think Hank is a talented writer. But the Richard Hatch thing is sooooooooo last year.