• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what else to do with passion fruit?

Ninjai Fanatic

A farmer-friend of ours just came by a few days ago and brought us a whole sack of passion fruit - this type:

maracuyaokpeq.jpg

We've been making cakes, muffins, cookies and juice with it and have been giving some of it away. Dp any of you have any other ideas on what to cook or make with this stuff?

thanks!

a long time ago, I tasted the most fantastic passionfruit jam - but the jam-maker refused to part with the recipe. All I was able to get out of her was that she used fresh fruit ... it was a deep amber-gold color and absolutely sensational. Wish I could point you in the direction of a recipe!

This may not be the same thing, but a passionfruit version of lemon curd is often made in New Zealand and Australia.

6 passionfruit/4 eggs/1 cup sugar/juice of 4 good-sized lemons/4 oz butter.

Beat and strain eggs, blend in sugar and add passionfruit pulp and lemon juice. Cook in the top of a double boiler, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick. Add butter and stir in well. Remove from heat, pour into warm, sterilized jars.

You do know that the pulp can be frozen uncooked, don't you?

My brother in Australia does this all the time. Simply thaw out later and use as desired.

Passionfruit daiquiris

Use pulp and favorite melon (or berry) in a cold summer soup

Make a passionfruit coulis and serve over ice cream or poached fruit

Toss together a passionfruit and habanero salsa- serve with prawns, grilled fish or chicken

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I had a great passionfruit creme brulee a while ago. You may want to try making some. The combo of vanilla and passionfruit really works well! I presume you would just add strained pulp into the custard mix.

Just quick note: the passionfruit that you have are come from the plant Passiflora flavicarpa (I think that's right, I am drawing the Latin name from memory.) Its also called the yellow or hawaiian passionfruit. (Lillikoi in Hawaiian.) Yellow fruits are generally more tart than the purple, more common passionfruit, Passiflora edulis and its hybrids. I love to garden, and grow all kinds of goodies in my yard. :biggrin:, including several varieties of passionfruit. I have both purple and yellow kinds, as well as a few other more rare species you can't find in stores. One of my more interesting varieties makes passionfruits the size of small footballs (about maybe 9 or 10 inches long). I'll include pics of my fruits when they ripen (at least a month). Okay, sorry about my passionfruit rant! :wink:

-Robert Kim

BTW- for those of you interested in growing your own passionfruit (they have some of the most beautiful and fragrant blooms in the world), I suggest ordering from Kartuz Nurseries. This is where I got my plants. Here is the link:

www.kartuz.com

(just click on "passion vines" on the left-hand menu)

Edited by Macarons&Mozart (log)

Thank you very much for all of the ideas, I'm going to try the sorbet, jam and the curd tomorrow.

^ that's pretty cosmic! Thanks for sharing that. I'm checking out kartuz right now. 9-10 inch passion fruits :o.. I want to try ordering some of those plants for my dad.

A batido (Cuban milkshake) would be delicious. Here's a link to my weekly food column with a recipe. Just substitute passion fruit for mamey.

www.alibi.com/editorial/section_display.php?di=2005-06-30&scn=food#12043

"I had a great passionfruit creme brulee a while ago. You may want to try making some. The combo of vanilla and passionfruit really works well! I presume you would just add strained pulp into the custard mix."

You do! Just stir the puree into the custard. It's unbelievably good. I took a cooking class a few years ago, where we made the signature dish of a popular Boston restaurant (name escapes me).

Not only did the creme brulee have passionfruit, but we split the custard in half, flavored half with passionfruit, and half with chocolate. Then we poured equal amounts in ramekins and lightly swirled them.

The combination of chocolate, passionfruit, and creme brulee custard, is decadent. Great for a special occasion.

:)

Edited by pam claughton (log)

If you grow passion fruit, trim it early to encourage branching. I have 3 vines on my back fence and it's like a 50 yard hedge. Occasional triming keeps them from running wild and seems to produce more fruit. Good luck!

If you grow passion fruit, trim it early to encourage branching. I have 3 vines on my back fence and it's like a 50 yard hedge. Occasional triming keeps them from running wild and seems to produce more fruit. Good luck!

Passionfruit is also exceptional with Cauliflower. The flavors of pasionfruit also merry well with Sauvignon blanc and match particluarily well with shellfish.

"I had a great passionfruit creme brulee a while ago.  You may want to try making some.  The combo of vanilla and passionfruit really works well!  I presume you would just add strained pulp into the custard mix."

You do! Just stir the puree into the custard. It's unbelievably good. I took a cooking class a few years ago, where we made the signature dish of a popular Boston restaurant (name escapes me).

Not only did the creme brulee have passionfruit, but we split the custard in half, flavored half with passionfruit, and half with chocolate. Then we  poured equal amounts in ramekins and lightly swirled them.

The combination of chocolate, passionfruit, and creme brulee custard, is decadent. Great for a special occasion.

Oh wow, that sounds amazing. I just realised I have some leftover cream, chocolate and passionfruit sitting in the house, exactly the right amounts for this. Thank you for the suggestion. How do you pour them into the ramekins? Do you thicken on the stove and then pour or do you pour both in from opposite sides and have them meet in the middle?

PS: I am a guy.

"I had a great passionfruit creme brulee a while ago.  You may want to try making some.  The combo of vanilla and passionfruit really works well!  I presume you would just add strained pulp into the custard mix."

Not only did the creme brulee have passionfruit, but we split the custard in half, flavored half with passionfruit, and half with chocolate. Then we  poured equal amounts in ramekins and lightly swirled them.

Oh wow, that sounds amazing. I just realised I have some leftover cream, chocolate and passionfruit sitting in the house, exactly the right amounts for this. Thank you for the suggestion. How do you pour them into the ramekins? Do you thicken on the stove and then pour or do you pour both in from opposite sides and have them meet in the middle?

We poured in from opposite sides so they met in the middle and then pulled a knife through to make a pretty swirl or two.

I just made this tonight and it was pretty amazing. Next time I do it, I would make the mix 1/3rd chocolate, 2/3rds passionfruit as I thought the chocolate overrode the delicate passionfruit a bit. I also would have amped up the flavour of the passionfruit considerably, this time, I did 1 small passionfruit per person without any seeds and it could have done with a more intense passionfruit kick.

I think it would be interesting to get a small circular ring mold and fill the centre with chocolate and then the outside with passionfruit, IMHO, this would make for a much nicer presentation and would make it easier to get a taste of chocolate and passionfruit in every bite.

PS: I am a guy.

I had a great passionfruit creme brulee a while ago.  You may want to try making some.  The combo of vanilla and passionfruit really works well!  I presume you would just add strained pulp into the custard mix.

I had a passionfruit creme brulee (somewhere in SF) that was made in following manner: vanilla creme brulee with a layer of strained passion fruit puree on top. Then, I believe, sugar was place on top and the whole 'bruleed'. The passion fruit layer was like a crisp glaze and added a great citrusy-tart-floral counterpoint to the creme. I haven't tried it at home yet but it is on my list to try and recreate some time.

I could also picture this working well in a panna cotta dish--assuming that there is nothing in the passionfruit to inhibit the gelatin from setting up. I would probably try it as a top layer rather than incorporating the puree into the gelatin.

I've mentioned it elsewhere on the boards, but another nice use of passion fruit puree is just to swirl it (incompletely) into whipped cream in the manner of a fool. This is great as a fillilng for individual meringue cups (hints of Pavlova) or for cream puffs. I could aslo picture this going very well as a topping for cut up fruit like peaches...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"