• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delivery Pho

I can get everything delivered. Books, booze, crap pizza, shit chinese, hell even apparently narcotics if you know the correct ordering technique. So why the hell no Pho? Why no Banh Mi? Anyone know a pho shop that delivers? I'd gladly move withing the 5Km free delivery radius if I could get pho. And notice, I'm not even fussy if it's good pho, I'd settle for any pho, and sandwich.

Why the hell has capitalism let us down in this vital regard? Adam Smith's invisible hand should be bringing it to me on a platter. Stupid invisible hand. Do I really want to live in a world with disgusting White Spot Burgers available at every Chevron in town, but can't get a nice crusty banh mi made with strangely appealing rubbery meatballs, crisp lightly pickled vegatables, slivers of chili garnished with cilantro and sweet mayo delivered to my door? I say no.

I can get everything delivered. Books, booze, crap pizza, shit chinese, hell even apparently narcotics if you know the correct ordering technique. So why the hell no Pho? Why no Banh Mi?

Not sure about the Bahn Mi except that it's kinda hard to justify free delivery on a sandwich that's being sold for $2.75

Pho? The noodles, sprouts & basil wouldn't stand up to the 30 minutes it would take to deliver it. Soggy Phô? Don't think sô!

Keith, turn off the laptop, get off your ass and walk the 5km! It'll help you vent off some of this frustration you've been feeling.

A.

Who delivers booze Keith?

Cheers!

Uh... Stong's does!

On the Pho delivery issue - you could not have the noodles sitting in soup too long because it would soak up all the soup and you would end up with a bowl of wet wool. Some things are not meant to be delivered. As an honorary Chinese person - you should know this. Don't make me revoke your privilages.

You can get booze from any online grocery retailer. Well wine and beer at least. If you really need booze you can always get a bottle of Dewars thrown in the back of a cab courtesy of a local liquor store.

Also, Dial a Bottle is happy to bring you a bottle into most municipalities.

And the noodles would hold up fine. They're fine for takeout, they package them separately from the hot broth. The sprouts andf basil are also in separate containers, no deterioration of quality what so ever. And the 2.75 Banh Mi problem is easily overcome, minimum $20 charge for delivery, like every other restaurant in the world has as it's policy.

"ome things are not meant to be delivered. As an honorary Chinese person - you should know this. Don't make me revoke your privilages." And as an actual Asian person you should know that the ingenousness with all asian cultures overcoming difficulties regarding food can't be topped. If your defeatist attitude had been prevelant in Shanghai, no one would have ever attempted to get soup inside of a dumpling, too hard. No one would have ever gone through (probably) 842 different (horrid) attempts to make something delicious out of a birds nest before hitting on the one cooking method that made it taste good.

Pho - how I love thee. I have ordered pho on numerous occasions for take-out. The technique the restaurant used is to pack it all up separately - the broth with noodles at the bottom in one container - choppped chilies,basil and lime in another, and hoisin in yet another. Sticks and soup spoon wrapped around a napkin.

While it sounds perfect, I burned my hand real bad from trying to manipulate the noodles and condiments with the hot broth. Most of it ending up all over the counter and my hand. The broth was also too hot to sit in styrofoam, it was practically melting.

I think pho requires space to enjoy - take-out containers just aren't big enough for my pho rituals.

If it was to be delivered, you'd have to have a big bowl ready to pour the noodles and broth into - and you're right about the noodles. They can't be sitting in the broth too long.

Unless the delivery service was a pho-only service. An a-la-minute concept. Broth in a spigotted sistern, partially cooked rice noodles - just let them sit in the broth for two minutes before eating - chopped and ready to go basil, lime and chilies....that sort of thing.

There is probably something like this in Vietnam.

There is. How great would it be to instead of having the irritating ice cream man shatter the peace with his tape loop of "The Entertainer" cranked to eleven on his loudspeaker the soothing tones of the soup man were to ring out. In Indonesia a guy with a cart wanders the streets making fresh bowls of soup from his self contained cart. Think Mr. Tube Steak but with Laksa. And mobile. l

There is. How great would it be to instead of having the irritating ice cream man shatter the peace with his tape loop of "The Entertainer" cranked to eleven on his loudspeaker the soothing tones of the soup man were to ring out. In Indonesia a guy with a cart wanders the streets making fresh bowls of soup from his self contained cart. Think Mr. Tube Steak but with Laksa. And mobile. l

Like Mr. Kim in The Fith Element! the airborne junk pulling up to your (highrise) window!

:laugh:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

If you really need booze you can always get a bottle of Dewars thrown in the back of a cab courtesy of a local liquor store.

Then why don't you give the same cab company a call and ask them to pick up your pho for you! :wink:

Cheers!

Anyway ....

... does anyone deliver phô in the Lower Mainland? 

Nope.

A.

jumping in late here.....west end, saigon restaurant. it's not the greatest, but it'll do on those nights that you just can't go out. :wink:

Quentina

How great would it be to instead of having the irritating ice cream man shatter the peace with his tape loop of "The Entertainer" cranked to eleven on his loudspeaker the soothing tones of the soup man were to ring out. In Indonesia a guy with a cart wanders the streets making fresh bowls of soup from his self contained cart. Think Mr. Tube Steak but with Laksa. And mobile.

Like Mr. Kim in The Fith Element! the airborne junk pulling up to your (highrise) window!

:laugh:

My mom tells me that, back in the 50s & 60s in Hong Kong, they had things called "airplane baskets", where street vendors used to toss up snacks (or whatever) to whichever window you leaned out of in your low rise apartment & then you would lower the money down in a basket or something back down to them. I'll ask her for more details tonight.

Edit: Ok, they weren't called "airplane baskets" - the general name for the snacks were called "airplane olives" (same pronunciation as "baskets" in Cantonese). Vendors would either toss their wares up to you or pass them up to you via a hanging basket on a long pole, & then you would bundle your money up in some paper & toss it to the vendor or send your money down in the same basket your olives came in.

Edited by chocomoo (log)

Passed by the corner of Kind Edward and Cambie today and in that corner shopping centre that used to have a Baskin Robbins I noticed there was a Vietnamese restaurant that had a big "Free Delivery" sign up. I guess Keith funded a business.

Cheers!

Pho - how I love thee. I have ordered pho on numerous occasions for take-out. The technique the restaurant used is to pack it all up separately - the broth with noodles at the bottom in one container - choppped chilies,basil and lime in another, and hoisin in yet another. Sticks and soup spoon wrapped around a napkin.

Really? How awful. In PDX, with a reasonably-sized Vietnamese communtity, take-out pho is broth in one container, par-cooked noodes plus cooked beef + raw beef + perhaps cooked onion in another, plus a plastic bag with raw veg (sprouts, basil, chiles, lime, green onion, cilantro, and a small container typically containing a hoisin/sriracha mix).

Including the noodles with the broth is weird. Typically, you would get the broth boiling, then add the noodles + meat and cook for about 30 seconds or so. If the noodles are cooked too long, they break up, and you don't want that. It seems inevitable if the broth and noodles are combined at the start.

One place I've had take-out from includes some cheezy disposable chopsticks plus a plastic spoon and fork wrapped around a napkin, as mentioned by shelora. A nice touch is the addition of a wrapped piece of generic commercial candy. Nice, but ultimately pointless.

That said, of the several pho restaurants within delivery distance, I don't think I'd ever order pho from any of them for delivery, unless I had a severe need for pho. Most are awful. One (of several) might be tempting, but if I'm jonesing that much, I can go to the restaurant and get takeout myself rather than delivery.

I make pho every month or so, and freeze any excess broth and cooked beef in portioned sizes. Banh pho noodles are in the pantry, beef meatballs and raw beef in the freezer. It's only the raw veg that keeps this from being this an impulse meal. They are available at the local megamart or the nearby ethnic market.

Delivery pho? I'd consider it, but there aren't any worthy candidates.

I can get everything delivered. Books, booze, crap pizza, shit chinese, hell even apparently narcotics if you know the correct ordering technique. So why the hell no Pho? Why no Banh Mi?

Not sure about the Bahn Mi except that it's kinda hard to justify free delivery on a sandwich that's being sold for $2.75

Pho? The noodles, sprouts & basil wouldn't stand up to the 30 minutes it would take to deliver it. Soggy Phô? Don't think sô!

Keith, turn off the laptop, get off your ass and walk the 5km! It'll help you vent off some of this frustration you've been feeling.

A.

This is just wrong.

There is a huge take-out/delivery market for pho in areas with a larger vietnamese population (northern virginia, for example). You just put the broth in a soup container and the noodles in one of those chinese food contaners. The sprouts and stuff come in a plastic bag.

Vancouver is also guilty for not giving enough basil or other herbs (sawtooth, for instance). I'm sure you can grow it here, stop being so stingy Vancouver pho shops!!!

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.