• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Eggs Source near Boston

We love fresh eggs. Does anyone know of a good source for them? I live on the South Shore but am willing to drive a bit for nice fresh ones, preferably organic and hormone- free.

Thanks.

Goldie, I've been looking for them too since I moved here 5 yrs ago--and last week I finally got lucky. One of the new organic farmers at my local farmers' market carries fresh eggs and they are excellent. I'll have to get back to you with his name, I can't remember. I found him at the Government Center farmers' market on Monday and Wednesday, so if you or any family or friends work downtown, it would be convenient--and there are some other wonderful vendors there too. But these small farmers are always based somewhere outside of Boston and typically show up in other local area farmers' markets. I'll ask him next week where he's from and where else he sells and report back.

Thank you both. My husband is going to love going to the farmer's market in Gov Ctr for me :rolleyes: I can just see him with his cooler on the boat home...

Our CSA in the northwest suburbs sells them. You could try searching Localharvest.com for farms/CSAs near you and give them a call.

We were at the farmer's market in Cambridge's Central Square last week and one of the vendors was selling them.

The good news is once you locate a source, you will start seeing farm-fresh eggs for sale everywhere. The bad news: it's impossible to go back to store-bought eggs, especially for omelets, scrambles, etc. :raz:

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

This was a good excuse to stop by the organic stall at the Govt Center market today and ask my "egg guy" about his business. He's from Silverbrook Farms, in Dartmouth, MA. In addition to Govt Center Mon/Wed, he also sells at the farmers market in Milton on Thursdays, Norwood on Tuesdays, New Bedford on Saturday, and P-town on another day (forget when, didn't think you'd travel that far!). He's the only certified organic farmer at Govt Center, though I'm loyal to some of the other farmers there, who aren't necessarily "certified" but are very responsible with their farming practices.

Since you care about the organic designation, Goldie, depending on where your husband works downtown, I would also recommend the organic farming school stand that is at the Copley Square farmers market on Tues/Fri. A great selection of veggies. Their salad green mixes are the best I've ever had. Like fresh eggs, they will make it impossible to ever go back to grocery store products. Happiness June-September, sadness the rest of the year.

Milton is close by. Hubby works at 111 Huntington and wasn't thrilled by the prospect of carrying a cooler on the boat so he hasn't been for me. :hmmm: No eggs for him! Thank so much for talking to your source.

We have a good organic farm near us in Cohasset where I purchase beautiful greens. I also am lucky enough to have a good crop this year, so we've been enjoying some nice salads. I can't wait for tomatoes, though. I'm in total agreement that everythihng is so bountiful from June- September (and into October) and then it's back to Whole Foods. Could be worse...