• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

when have i given it a far chance?

chef koo

i've watched john cleese's wine for the confused and he said in the begining to not let anyone tell you what wine i should like. fair enough. i have tasted wines that i loved and wines that i thought were awful. but much the taste of bitter and sour i'm thinkin maybe i should try the wines i don't like a few mroe times before i give up on it. for example i tried a coteaux du languedoc. it was horrible. i made that decision on my first taate. i decided to finish the glass. it was still awful. the next day i had another full glass. during dinner i finished the bottle off. it was still disgusting. is my palette just uneducated and unable to taste the greatness? or is it that i personally just don't like it? if it's the first thatn how many times should i try the wine before i decide it really isn't for me

bork bork bork

i've watched john cleese's wine for the confused and he said in the begining to not let anyone tell you what wine i should like. fair enough. i have tasted wines that i loved and wines that i thought were awful. but much the taste of bitter and sour i'm thinkin maybe i should try the wines i don't like a few mroe times before i give up on it. for example i tried a coteaux du languedoc. it was horrible. i made that decision on my first taate. i decided to finish the glass. it was still awful. the next day i had another full glass. during dinner i finished the bottle off. it was still disgusting. is my palette just uneducated and unable to taste the greatness? or is it that i personally just don't like it? if it's the first thatn how many times should i try the wine before i decide it really isn't for me

Perhaps you're being too hard on your palate. Maybe the wine simply sucked!

Seriously, there are good wines from any region, as well as dreck.

If you were to describe what you didn't like about it, as well what wines you have enjoyed the most, that might lead to an interesting discussion.

In any case, you and John Cleese are both correct; drink what you enjoy. (Though some excellent wines can take a period of palate acclimitization. Ever had a Chateau-Chalon?)

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

I don't think you are beeing too hard on yourself at all. It's your money, and you should spend it on wine you will enjoy. Period. I do believe, however, that your palate will change over time and you will find yourslef enjoying wines of a different style five years from now that you may not enjoy today. Similarly, you may find that wines you like today won't do much for you five years from now. Nothing wrong with that. Happens with most, but not all, people.

Regarding Coteaux du Languedoc, I've had wines from that appellation which are lovely and wines from that region that I would never put in my mouth again. The variation can be attributed to vintage, producer, grape source, and blend (the wines can be made from carignan, cinsault, mourvedre, grenache, and syrah -- possibly others -- in any combination).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I don't think you are beeing too hard on yourself at all.  It's your money, and you should spend it on wine you will enjoy.  Period.  I do believe, however, that your palate will change over time and you will find yourslef enjoying wines of a different style five years from now that you may not enjoy today.  Similarly, you may find that wines you like today won't do much for you five years from now.  Nothing wrong with that.  Happens with most, but not all, people.

Regarding Coteaux du Languedoc, I've had wines from that appellation which are lovely and wines from that region that I would never put in my mouth again.  The variation can be attributed to vintage, producer, grape source, and blend (the wines can be made from carignan, cinsault, mourvedre, grenache, and syrah -- possibly others -- in any combination).

I think it's great you gave it so many chances. If it wasn't completely undrinkable, I might try it with different foods to see if that enhances the wine at all. That area used to have the reputation as one with a large quantity of poor quality wine. That has changed somewhat in recent years, in my understanding from what I have read is that the area still produces its fair share of not-so-great wine. Perhaps you just got one of those bottles.