• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ways to eat grits

Fresser

Great website joiei! Now that I think of it, I do remember hearing of Deborah Ford and her book: G.R.I.T.S. (Girls Raised in the South). I shall have to add that book and her new one to my extensive grits research in preparation for whatever comes of my www.eHominy-Grits.com--NOT A LIVE LINK YET--website, blog, whatever.

As for your previous July 12 post--sorry I don't exactly know how to include quoted information from a different post--where you gave a link to the Weight Watchers recipe for their Slow Cooker Chicken and Grits: you were dead on. Not only did the picture of the finished product as well as a recipe itself, make me queasy, but the final line of the recipe which gave serving suggestions stating "(Note: This dish will be soupy so serve in bowls.)" really set my "hurl-o-meter" off. Gag. :shock:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I just topped my cheddar cheese grits with stir-fried broccoli.  Yum!

Is this a misguided Yankee concoction?  Tell me, o G.R.I.T.S. gals!

Yes Fresser that is a misguided Yankee concoction :rolleyes: which can only be redeemed if you had the good sense to stir fry that broccoli in BACON FAT and then sprinkled the crumbled bacon you cooked that gave you the rendered bacon fat over said grits. You did do that, didn't you?

Don't make me and the other G.R.I.T.S. women-folk here on eG have to hunt you down for any future "non-sanctioned" use of grits. You have been warned. :raz:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

How Gross! and total heresy. (Of course that does not mean that I will not try it)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Yes Fresser that is a misguided Yankee concoction :rolleyes: which can only be redeemed if you had the good sense to stir fry that broccoli in BACON FAT and then sprinkled the crumbled bacon you cooked that gave you the rendered bacon fat over said grits. You did do that, didn't you?

Don't make me and the other G.R.I.T.S. women-folk here on eG have to hunt you down for any future "non-sanctioned" use of grits. You have been warned. :raz:

Actually, the sight of a bunch skillet-wielding eGullet gals coming my way sounds most enticing. :wub:

Now fasten your seatbelts, ladies, for I stir-fried my broccoli not in BACON FAT, but in [shudder]...olive oil, garlic and soy sauce.[/shudder] Heresy? Hell yeah! But it made for some mighty fine eatin'!

Now think about it: crunchy green broccoli makes a fine color and texture contrast when plopped atop a bowl of grits. Not to mention all the vitamin A, iron and other nutrients contained in the "little trees."

Nevertheless, I do expect a whuppin' from the G.R.I.T.S. out there. Not that I mind the attention... :laugh:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I think broccoli in all its forms and incarnations a tasty and elegant dish. 

I never quoted ME before, but I must rescind or edit or correct the above. We were talking last night, and someone reminded me of an unfortunate dish served one evening by Hubby's sister-in-law. It consisted of a can of mushroom soup, a little square pack of CHOPPED frozen broccoli, and a couple of boiled eggs. Alongside it was served a wooden bowl of iceberg, also chopped, with a tomato, a can of undrained kidney beans, and a pack of Fritos stirred in, along with a bottle of Catalina dressing. Taco salad, I think it was called.

The juxtaposition of the two runny puddles on our plates, with their green-flecked brown vs. maroon color schemes---plus the odd spectrum of flavors and the decidedly unpleasant task of chewing the little woody stems of the broccoli---that made for an entertaining and keep-a-smile-on-your-face-no-matter-what evening.

Chopped broccoli, with all the dregs and leaves and fibrous bits left in the bottom of the strainer after the spears have been artfully arranged in their little freezerbox coffins---bleeeeccccch. :wacko:

Otherwise, it's a lovely plant and a wonderful food.

Maybe Divan over Grits---now there' an idea whose time is creeping up.

Actually, the sight of a bunch skillet-wielding eGullet gals coming my way sounds most enticing. :wub:

Now fasten your seatbelts, ladies, for I stir-fried my broccoli not in BACON FAT, but in [shudder]...olive oil, garlic and soy sauce.[/shudder] Heresy? Hell yeah! But it made for some mighty fine eatin'!

Now think about it: crunchy green broccoli makes a fine color and texture contrast when plopped atop a bowl of grits. Not to mention all the vitamin A, iron and other nutrients contained in the "little trees."

Nevertheless, I do expect a whuppin' from the G.R.I.T.S. out there. Not that I mind the attention... :laugh:

So in otherwords, you put your stirfry over polenta?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!