• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ways to eat grits

Fresser

Great ideas Lan4Dawg and joiei, but what shall we name this fine eating establishment and soon to be empire?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Great ideas Lan4Dawg and joiei, but what shall we name this fine eating establishment and soon to be empire?

Considering all of the different opinions involving said corn based product posted here, perhaps it would be beneficial to have some type of "match making" service - all of your products could be prepackaged and vacuum sealed in plastic bags that come ready to boil - instead of browsing and choosing a product - you fill out a profile that asks you questions about your background and matches you with the appropriate grit products based on that information - these products are then shipped to you via FedEx and the spoon is sort of like the gift you get for signing up and $10 off coupons to Dollywood.

It could all be online - and - (I wholeheartedly apologize for this in advance) - could be called eHominy.

Edited by sizzleteeth (log)

"At the gate, I said goodnight to the fortune teller... the carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face... but I could tell she was blushing." - B.McMahan

Considering all of the different opinions involving said corn based product posted here, perhaps it would be beneficial to have some type of "match making" service - all of your products could be prepackaged and vacuum sealed in plastic bags that come ready to boil - instead of browsing and choosing a product - you fill out a profile that asks you questions about your background and matches you with the appropriate grit products based on that information - these products are then shipped to you via FedEx and the spoon is sort of like the gift you get for signing up and $10 off coupons to Dollywood.

It could all be online - and - (I wholeheartedly apologize for this in advance) - could be called eHominy.

OMG, That's it!!! :laugh::shock::biggrin:

Edited to add: I apologize for being remiss by not saying earlier that your last line where you give the proposed grits restaurant/empire a name--eHominy--is absolutely the funniest thing I've seen or heard all day, actually probably all week! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Okay I couldn't resist coming back here. I have another niche grits restaurant menu item to add: grits sushi. Same as regular sushi except you substitute grits for the rice! Ingenius huh? Hmmmmmmm, finger lickin'/chop stick lickin' good. :hmmm:

OMG, That's it!!! :laugh::shock::biggrin:

Edited to add: I apologize for being remiss by not saying earlier that your last line where you give the proposed grits restaurant/empire a name--eHominy--is absolutely the funniest thing I've seen or heard all day, actually probably all week! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just spewed coffee all over the computer screen in a spit take that would have made Danny Thomas proud.

On the same theme:

the on-line store as eHominy (I had to re-type that three times b/c I was still chuckling)

our slogan can be "We'd like to teach the world to eat with perfect hominy"

the piano bar attached to the restaurant would have to be known as "Melody and Hominy" & those who work there would be called "the Homineers"

we could call our grits spoon a "hominica"

any franchises would be known as "hominems"

just think of all the possibilities. eHominy--that is priceless.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

OMG, That's it!!! :laugh:  :shock::biggrin:

Edited to add: I apologize for being remiss by not saying earlier that your last line where you give the proposed grits restaurant/empire a name--eHominy--is absolutely the funniest thing I've seen or heard all day, actually probably all week! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

:wink:

"At the gate, I said goodnight to the fortune teller... the carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face... but I could tell she was blushing." - B.McMahan

could we have the post cards say "Having a harmonius time in eHominy"?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

OMG, That's it!!! :laugh:  :shock::biggrin:

Edited to add: I apologize for being remiss by not saying earlier that your last line where you give the proposed grits restaurant/empire a name--eHominy--is absolutely the funniest thing I've seen or heard all day, actually probably all week! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Now this is purely hysterical!! :laugh::raz::biggrin:

Someone should register the domain name eHominy.com post-haste! :laugh::laugh:

What really cracks me up is that there's an online dating service called eHarmony that, when pronounced in a New England dialect, sounds curiously close to the name of our tasty venture. Aw hell--let the I.P. lawyers fight it out. :raz:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Just what in the Sam Hill is GOING ON HERE???!!! I go away for four days and you're all stark, raving crazy when I get back....grits-spitting and Spam-adding and sushi-wrapping---the VERY IDEA!!!

Have y'all been into the MOONSHINE???

And I ate grits in Georgia this weekend the BEST way---while feeding them to a one-year-old little PEACH with a birdie-mouth eagerly open for every bite in that little pink plastic spoon. :wub:

Just what in the Sam Hill is GOING ON HERE???!!!    I go away for four days and you're all stark, raving crazy when I get back....grits-spitting and Spam-adding and sushi-wrapping---the VERY IDEA!!!

Have y'all been into the MOONSHINE???

And I ate grits in Georgia this weekend the BEST way---while feeding them to a one-year-old little PEACH with a birdie-mouth eagerly open for every bite in that little pink plastic spoon. :wub:

OOOH!! I think we have found eHominy's house martini! In keeping w/ the corn theme we offer grits cooked in 'shine served in a cocktail glass garnished w/ a twist of "rat trap" cheese and a Vienna sausage. ":^)

the best cat ever.

Will the cocktail glass have a handle and say "Mason" on the side?

That depends racheld. I mean would this be an upscale type of drink for which we could charge an outrageous amount of money? Or would it be marketed as a kind down home, aw shucks sort of drink? Would we differentiate between the type of grits used to make the drink, i.e., do we offer the customer his/her choice of "designer" grits, as is done with tequila or other liquors, or would the drink be made using the bar's "rail" grits? There are a lot of variables here that must be seriously :wink: considered.

Okay, I'm returning to my padded cell now, since it's time for my afternoon meds. :blink:

Carry on.

Will the cocktail glass have a handle and say "Mason" on the side?

Would we differentiate between the type of grits used to make the drink, i.e., do we offer the customer his/her choice of "designer" grits, as is done with tequila or other liquors, or would the drink be made using the bar's "rail" grits? Okay, I'm returning to my padded cell now, since it's time for my afternoon meds. :blink:

Carry on.

I'll have the blue agave corn grits martini--shaken, not stirred.

(Customer peers at the drinks container and gasps.)

Ol' chap! How did you know I was a member of the Masons?

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Vienna sausage.      ":^)

Now when talking about canned sausages, do you pronounce that as Ve-enna as in that place over yonder some'rs or do you pronounce that as Veye-nna as in the canned sausage.

do we get a pickled egg to go with that martuni?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Vienna sausage.       ":^)

Now when talking about canned sausages, do you pronounce that as Ve-enna as in that place over yonder some'rs or do you pronounce that as Veye-nna as in the canned sausage.

do we get a pickled egg to go with that martuni?

Hmmmm, joiei I believe it would be veye-nna, as I recall. Also, a pickled egg accompanying said martini is brilliant! Perhaps a lovely quail egg. I do honestly believe that one should carefully match the various martinis to the appropriate garnish. For the down home "rail" grits martini, a cube of spam or "head cheese" on a toothpick would be just fine. For the more upscale creations, perhaps a cube of pate de foie gras might be merited.

Oh boy.............. meds kicking in now ...................... look at all the pretty colors.

Carry on. :cool:

I don't know how I managed to miss this thread, except for the fact that I have only been able to visit eG sporadically for the past week or so because of a little medical problem.

I do love grits in whatever guise they may be presented. Au natural or fancied up, fried or baked, with or without additives. I am not a purist, and have found that grits can be the perfect "fusion" food.

Grits cooked, poured into a loaf pan, chilled until set, sliced and fried on a griddle, can be topped with just about anything, sweet or savory, but until you have tasted them with sweet chile sauce, you don't know what your are missing. That spicy, sweet flavor enhances the corn flavor exponentially..

Experiments that have been successful include a grits soufflé that was flavored with parmesan and an inside-out savory pie with a grits filling surrounded by a meat/tomato mixture.

eHominy indeed! A worthy name!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hello all,

Please note that the following IS NOT a live link. I've applied for this domain name for our all things grits web page since it was--amazingly I think--still available:

www.eHominy-grits.com

Will let you know if they actually approve it. I hope the folks at eHarmony don't give me a hard time about this.

Edited to say: special thanks to sizzleteeth for the eHominy name. :smile:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

I sure am glad that you guys pronounce the word correctly. I had some yats' from New Orleans trying to tell me that Veenna was the only way to say it. I just shook my head and told them that they were wrong. The "I's" have it.

My first menu suggestion as appetizer

Hoover's grits cooked slow with heavy cream, finished with sauted chantrelles and Grana Parmigiana.

Lets get the menu board going.

I stole this from a cup that i found on Cafe Presse, "Grits, betcha can't eat just one" Amen to that.

Edited by joiei (log)

And in some Southern circles, the pronunciation is even MORE pronounced:

Vye-eena. And for the older, eat-em-right-out-of-the-can-with-your-pocketknife generation: Vye-eenie, as in the movie version of Miss Loretta Lynn's life:

"Get y'all some a them Vye-eenies, Loretty."

(Not to be confused with "Spread me up one a them baloney sanwidges, Loretty," which occurs later in her life---perhaps at age 14, after her marriage, since them sanwidges have a salubrious effect on ole Doo).

And pate'? Fann-cy. With a Gritstini, the nearest option would most likely be a gizzard, on a little frilly toothpick.

And don't anyone forget the Gree-yards.

Edited by racheld (log)

The way we always had them in my house (southeast Georgia) was grits boiled in beef broth, with chopped up ham bits, with salt and pepper. Mix in cheese, and cover a plate with it, and add a couple of fried eggs on top of that, eaten with a fork.

So, so tasty.

What about a great big cartoon tiger as our mascot? He could appear to jump off the back ground screaming, "THEEY'RRRRE GRITS!"

nah, the Kellogg's people would never go for it.

btw, it is pronounced VIE-enna like the original town in South Georgia not the pretender over in Europe.

I like the pickled eggs garnish for the martini. Either that or we could just have those big jars of pickled eggs, pickled pigs' feet, & beef jerky sitting on the bar.

the best cat ever.

My, my, I must say that the depth of grits knowledge and creativity exhibited in this thread takes my breath away! :blink: I think we're on our way now since it's official:

I am now the proud owner of www.eHominy-grits.com. :hmmm:

Again, this is not a live link, only a start. Fresser is on board to share his expertise and generally warped sense of humor in developing this website. I would love to incorporate some of the fantastic ideas being shared here. I'm not a website techie, so any advice/assistance would be appreciated.

My, my, I must say that the depth of grits knowledge and creativity exhibited in this thread takes my breath away! :blink:  I think we're on our way now since it's official:

I am now the proud owner of eHominy Grits :hmmm:

Again, this is not a live link, only a start.  Fresser is on board to share his expertise and generally warped sense of humor in developing this website.  I would love to incorporate some of the fantastic ideas being shared here.  I'm not a website techie, so any advice/assistance would be appreciated.

Warped? Who, me? :raz:

Diva and I are happy-as-clams to collaborate on eHominy-Grits. I'm an HTML maven but the Diva and I welcome suggestions from other programming types and graphics geeks.

Edited by Fresser (log)

borschtbelt.blogspot.com