• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled Donuts

Andrew Fenton

On a visit to Maine this weekend, I was introduced to an unexpected and wholly sybaritic delight: the grilled donut. I was told about them, and was told that they're a New England thing (though none of my ME or RI friends had heard of them). We spent some time working with the grilled donut concept and concluded that it's something that absolutely deserves to be better known.

Grilled donut mark 1 was based on the big ol' glazed donuts from a local bakery in Gray, ME. Since these donuts are exemplary in their natural state, we were faced with a difficult question: could they be improved? We decided they could, and set to rigorous scientific experimentation. (By "rigorous" and "scientific" I of course mean "drunken" and "debauched".)

Our preparation was very simple, just grilling for a couple of minutes on either side until the glaze remelted and hardened:

gallery_7432_1362_183915.jpg

The lighting isn't so great on this photo, but you can see that some caramelization has occurred. But this donut was a little too soft to maintain its shape on the grill.

Grilled donut mark 2 is based on a day-old jelly donut. This was an improvement on the original: after a day, it'd dried out enough to maintain its shape, but was still fresh enough to be tasty:

gallery_7432_1362_393270.jpg

Here you can really see the caramelization. This is a donut with something that all donuts-- donuts as I have known them-- have lacked: a sugary caramel shell. This is, in other words, donut brulée, and it's fantastic: crunchy, flaky, oozy, all at once.

How to improve? Well, using a kitchen torch would help, letting you use really fresh donuts (and letting you use the kitchen torch-- an end in itself). And I think that ice cream could be involved somehow... but some things are perhaps better dreamed than dared.

Someone told me about frying a Krispy Kreme glazed donut in clarified butter until it got a caramelized crispy crust.....I must say, that I love trying weird things like this so I gave it a shot. Not that I would eat this everyday (or ever really), but it wasn't that bad.

Even better: put a donut in a panini press.

Use one of those light glazed donuts like your basic krispy kreme. Press between grill. They wil be very thin, the outside of the donut will caramalize into yummy sugary goodness and they'll still have a bit of chewiness in the center.

Nice clear grill marks too.

So glad to see I am not alone, although my treat is slightly different. My mom taught me years ago to slice a glazed doughnut in half, toast in the toaster oven, and butter it!!! YUM!

We've heated our doughnuts in the toaster oven, but never til they caramelize. OMG, sounds excellent. I can't wait to make this for my kids. And, for anyone in the Philly area, there is a very small chain of YumYum Donut stores that make the best doughnuts in the area. They're up around Horsham and Hatboro. Much better than the air doughnuts made by Krispy Kreme.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

My mother always toasted powdered donuts and then buttered them. We used to call them something and of course now i can't remember it. But the powdered sugar would melt and turn crispy. Plus, they were little so they were just a little something extra sweet and tasty.