• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butchers In NJ

Hello All - I am interested in buying some steak (rib eye or eye roll steak) to use in making some "philly style" steak sandwiches. Any recomendations on the best butcher to use - I'd prefer a butcher in Hoobken, NJ, however if there are any that are outstanding in the surounding area I will consider them as well. Of course, I will need the butcher to slice the steak thin enough for me to use. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Only my two cents... Buy a good knife (a Wusthoff 10' slicer or Chef's knife); buy a good Select cheap steak (there's a very good Australian Ribeye available in most supermarkets) and do it yourself.... You'll keep the knife and pay about the same would you have used a prominent butcher... and it's a sandwich for god's sake. :smile::smile:

Some earlier discussion, courtesy of the wondrous eGullet search facility:

Probably in your range - Good Butcher Shops In Bergen County

May be in your range - Butcher Needed - Morris County

Pretty well out of your range but might be interesting reading - YOUR FAVORITE BUTCHER Southern/Central NJ

Out of your range - Stockton butcher, in Saveuer Magazine? (reading the topic it's actually in Sergeantsville, not that this will make a lick of difference to someone from Hoboken! :laugh: )

Would be in your range, except the person asking was actually in Central NJ, not Northern - Butcher recommendation in Northern NJ

Pot Luck - Best Butcher Shop in New Jersey

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I always hear that fellow Hobokenites do well by Joe's Prime Meats, but I've had some pretty un-butcher-like experiences there. ("What's a pork tenderloin?")

My go-to is Truglio's, at 10th and Park. Always affable, always helpful, and they know their meat.

Christopher