• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: TheFoodTutor - The Man Behind the Curtain.

I'm a little late to this blog and disappointed to find out about our blogger's current circumstances. Great photos and like all the best blogs educational too. Nice job!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

We're leaving Julia's blog open until early tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, around 2 am EST or until she's able to post her activities from last night and today, whichever is later.

Thanks to Julia for participating in the series. I'm almost tempted to ask if she'd be willing to do a Tag Team (in the far future) opposite therese. :wink:

Soba

Thanks to Julia for participating in the series.  I'm almost tempted to ask if she'd be willing to do a Tag Team (in the far future) opposite therese.  :wink:

And that would be different from what we've done so far exactly how? :cool:

Traffic apparently sucks all over town---between fallen trees, flooded streets, and dead traffic lights we're just amazed to be home and safe.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Dennis the Menace knocked me out, damnit!

Actually, you cannot imagine how shocked I am to find the cable and internet back up this morning, because the hurricane damage across the city was quite severe, and they're usually not that good about this sort of thing. Thank you, everyone, for waiting for me to get back, and I'll get to the wonderful guesses - you guys did really well! - after these last few photos.

As usual, I don't eat a lot when on a double, working at both of my places of employment (busy but more casual place for lunch, fancy schmancy place at dinner), and since the hurricane made things even more hectic, with bad traffic and downed trees, breakfast and lunch were cold cereal, a few tortilla chips and a piece of mozzarella cheese. Then, after a quick change from my black server uniform into my black suit, I had family meal at Eugene:

gallery_28661_3_95475.jpg

Meatloaf again, though a fresh batch and not leftovers. This time, I had a meatloaf salad. Meatloaf salad is really good, you know. The plate is actually sitting on the podium at the front, as I had to work the door.

These next 3 are from Sunday night, from lambfries' experiment with making a demonstration video that he wanted to include in the blog. He's asleep right now, and I don't know if the video is finished and uploaded, so I can't link to it, but I'll just show you what he made. We can probably show the video later as part of a plate presentation thread, I think.

gallery_28661_3_146682.jpg

This is a tartare of salmon with cucumber foam, foamed in the handy dandy contraption with nitrous cartridges. When he stopped at the Viking store to pick up a few extra cartridges, the woman at the counter looked at him funny, and recalled a stocky young gentleman with spiky hair who used to come in and buy boxes and boxes of those every day (that person being Richard Blais, referenced in this thread, who is no longer "stocky.") Anyway, this was very tasty, but I pointed out that the daikon skin around the tower was a little difficult to eat as part of the presentation.

gallery_28661_3_123458.jpg

So, we tried it this way.

gallery_28661_3_96282.jpg

And this way. And that's what I had for dinner Sunday.

gallery_28661_3_159827.jpg

As promised, my birthday cake last night, made by Kristia. I was very surprised to be getting one, and when they asked me what kind I'd like, my choice was obvious: My favorite combination is raspberry and chocolate. Anyone want cake? No, seriously, do you want some?

gallery_28661_3_59323.jpg

Because I've got leftovers. :wink: Time for the last picture:

gallery_28661_3_35059.jpg

Home from work now, and this is the last picture of me at the age of 36. I have no idea how Nancy got in the shot, and I didn't notice her until I was editing the picture. You see her there, behind the faucet, don't you?

Edited by TheFoodTutor (log)

I am now going to guess that you have a side of Asparagus with Butter and Lemon?

Excellent guess! But it's a side of B + R, and a side of Asparagus, the first being beans and rice. My handwriting's crap, I know. :blink:

A club sandwich, no cheese, with a side of corn?

A plain Biltmore burger with no bun, a side of baked beans and french fries?

:smile:

Wow. You're good at this. The Biltmore is a chicken sandwich, but you'd have to know where I work or know something about the menu to know that, but that's excellent. There's also a /Q, for a side of BBQ sauce.

E = BSHAC.

Everything = Butter, Sour Cream, Chives, Bacon, Cheese

This doesn't make immediate sense unless I consider the fact that "C" likely stands for cheese (because it's such a common thing in restaurants, though I'm pretty amazed that anybody would get all this stuff on a baked potato, but never mind that), and "B" could be either butter or bacon, but butter's the most common thing on a baked potato and there's no "A" in butter, so "A" must be bacon. Chives is the only word (other than cheese, already taken) that contains an "H".

Close?

[Edit to add that I see that "A" has already been defined as bacon. This restaurant sells a lot of bacon, doesn't it?]

Excellent, but transpose the cheese and chives. It's in the order it would be placed on the potato, so chives are last, and they earn the all important C that cannot be used elsewhere.

And yes, lots of bacon. You can get you some bacon, with a side of bacon, if you want. :smile:

Platter Bean Corn

Hmm. Seems like this restaurant sells a fair amount of ribeye and ribs. So the platter might be one of those with sides of bean and corn. There's no preference (medium, rare, etc.) on the ribeye, so I'm guessing ribs is the main.

Terrific guess, and this one wasn't fair anyway. Ribs, in most restaurants, are abbreviated as Back or Babyback, though Babyback is stupidly long. And you're correct that there would be a temp if I'd been abbreviating prime rib. But "Platter" is short for the "Flying Chicken Tenders Platter" (or Tender Splatter, as I'd rather refer to it) that we sell a bajillion of. No longer on the menu, for years and years now, but that doesn't keep thousands and thousands of people from asking for it.

You guys did really, really well at this game. I'm impressed!

Now, it's time for this woman behind the curtain to take a bow, and celebrate my birthday with a day of rest. God, this was so much fun I can scarcely believe it.