• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Magazines

gwilson

This list is...astounding.

Thank you so much for pulling this list together, Greg. Crikey -- your obsession, when well-directed, is a sight to behold!

:blink:

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)

And another rule that I forgot to post in the beginning. (Does anybody know how long you have to edit your posts? I thought it would be longer than one day at least.) The * means that the website given is no longer up or being 'reconstructed' or just really sucks. I used the * for magazines that I knew existed, but couldn't find any real soild information on.

Plus you get a little anectdote - er fabil - er story. Yeah, story.

So I get off work tonight and head over to Barnes & Noble before they close. (I have a half hour.) Look around, get the Creative Loafing (which is the local free - and good - entertainment newspaper thingee), and browse through the magazines. And what do I see?

A freakin' magazine that's not on my friggin' list!!!!!!!!!

I spent, like, two months researching this stupid thing! (And I don't mean a few hours here and there. I would get home around 10 pm say, and stay up until 7 am. I did that quite a few nights. I'm on medication now. Thank you for asking. :laugh:) Granted, the mag's 3rd issue *just* came out. But I have some mags on my list that haven't even printed their first issue yet!!! Arrgggghhh!!! *sigh*

Oh, the new mag (which I will add to the big list - if I get to edit it at some point):

Fresh - http://www.livingfresh.co.uk (UK)

My only consolation is that, while at B&N, I bought the complete 1st season of Remington Steele!!!! Yay, me!

Also, you can order many of the trade magazines through egullet - go to http://egullet.tradepub.com/_brands/egulle.../Foodb.cat.html . I should have said that in an earlier post - sorry about that.

-Greg

Edited by gwilson (log)

Edited because Jennifer clearly needs to understand that Donna Hay comes under "D" and not "H".

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jennifer Iannolo (log)

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to John Talbott & Margaret Pilgrim I have a few more French magazines to add to the 'civilian' list.

Cuisine Creative – http://www.cuisinecreative.com (France)

Omnivore – http://www.omnivore.fr (France)

Terre de Vins - http://www.journauxdumidi.com/boutique/ach...?id=27&envG=tdv (France)

La Toque - http://www.latoque.fr/index.html (France)

Vins et Gastronomie - http://www.vins-gastronomie.com (France)

-Greg

• 2 months later...

Thanks to our very own moosnsqrl (AKA Judy Jones), I have another magazine to add to the list. (Which I am finally getting around to doing.) And I love that it's a 'local' magazine. I like finding out about the little publications that service their hometowns (sometimes homestates).

Fire & Knives - http://www.fireandknives.net (Kansas City, Missouri)

I also ran across herbivore magazine a while back and never got around to adding it.

Herbivore - http://www.herbivoremagazine.com (US)

And lastly, with the holiday season upon us, I suggest browsing through this list in search of presents for your food-minded friends and family members.

Happy Holidays, everyone.

-Greg

P.S. The thread made it to 2 pages! Yay me.

Edited by gwilson (log)

Greg, your list is most impressive.

But dude. You're scaring me now. You realize the list will never be completely done, as someone is always launching a new publication somewhere. Sometimes the hamster just has to get off the wheel.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Quite an impressive list, and a Herculean achievement.

I was surprised, though, to see that the American Food & Wine (an American Express publication) wasn't on the list.

Here's the link:

Food & Wine (US)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Greg, your list is most impressive.

Thank you.

But dude. You're scaring me now. You realize the list will never be completely done, as someone is always launching a new publication somewhere. Sometimes the hamster just has to get off the wheel.

I know; I'm not obsessing or anything. (Well, not anymore. lol) I don't search out new magazines on the internet or anything now. I only post new ones that other people tell me about or that I run across in the bookstore.

Quite an impressive list, and a Herculean achievement.

Thank you.

I was surprised, though, to see that the American Food & Wine (an American Express publication) wasn't on the list.

*looks at list*

*tilts head to one side, like a dog who is being taught calculus*

*checks list again*

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Me too! How in the world did I miss that? And not notice it for so long? Jeez!

Even though I can't edit the post that contains the main list, I have added all the magazines mentioned in following posts to my 'master list'. (And if you ever want/need that list without having to copy & paste yourself, you can find it here at the Good Eats Message Board.)

Wine News

Which, just to clarify, is different than The Wine News, which is consumer oriented.

Do either of you have more info on (no The) Wine News? Everything I can find points to The Wine News.

And thank you again to everyone for their kind words. I didn't really do this for any adulation, but it is good for the ego. :biggrin: Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my wheel. :laugh:

-Greg

• 6 months later...

This weekend I saw two new food magazines on sale at the local Barnes and Noble:

Cooking with Paula Deen

Turns out this was her third issue. It's 6 issues a year at $19.98 (US).

It's Martha Stewart meets Bon Appetit meets Taste of Home. If you're a fan of Paula, you should enjoy the magazine. There are some photos of her son's wedding, of her kitchen:

...The window over the sink looks out onto Paula's front yard and brings bright natural light into the space.
Windows do that, eh? :wink: There's a Q & A section where Paula answers cooking-related questions, there's a gadget section (a la Bon Appetit), some stories on southern businesses (this issue was about a bee-keeper who sells honey), some comfort food recipes, party recipes, etc.

Lidia: Italy at Home

This is Lidia Bastianich's premier issue. It sells for $5.99 (US) which is expensive but I recommend it.

Strangely, there didn't seem to be any information on how to subscribe to the magazine in the magazine itself. Usually there are a lot of those subscription post cards inserted in magazines but the only cards I found in Lidia's magazine were for Family Circle Magazine, Ladies' Home Journal and Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. There's a survey in the back of the magazine trying to find out what readers would like to see in future issues.

A minor quibble would be that some of the recipe titles are in a faint pastel color which makes it difficult to read. The recipes themselves are easy to read.

As for the magazine itself, I give it a huge thumbs up. The photography is quite good and appetizing.

I'm no longer an eGullet digest writer but if you're interested what is covered in Lidia's first issue:

"Growing Arugula" with a recipe for "Arugula and White Bean Salad"

"Taste Test - Balsamic Vinegar" - from the expensive to the ridiculously expensive. Recipe: "Reduced Balsamic Vinegar" (with honey, bay leaf and cloves)

"Artisanal Ingredient: Marsala" Recipe: "Cherry-Chocolate Semifreddo"

"The Family Gathers" - Lots of pictures of Lidia's family and food for the family table. She also suggests some wines. Recipes: "Steamed Vegetables with Warm Prosciutto Vinaigrette"; "Chicken Cacciatora", "Asparagus, Green Pea and Scallion Sauce"; "Swiss Chard and Potatoes"; "Bread and Tomato Salad"; "Torta al Vino with Grapes" (a traditional wine cake); "Basic Risotto".

"Italian Wines that Sparkle" - Joeseph Bastianich recommends 6 summer sparkling wines.

"Italian Pantry" Lidia tells us what's in her pantry at all times. What is near her stove top, what's in the vegetable bin, what's in cans and jars, what's in the refrigerator and what's in the freezer. Recipes: "Skillet Chicken Breasts Aglio e Olio"; "Linguine with Bacon and Onions"; "Pan-Fried Scallopine"; "Twenty-Minute Marinara Sauce with Fresh Basil"; "Chickpea and Tuna Salad".

"Cheese Primer: From Mozzarella to Burrata" - Recipes: "Broccoli Rabe with Oil and Garlic"; "Garden Tomato Elixir"; "Mostaccioli with Fresh Basil and Burrata".

"Every Day Ingredient: Garlic, the Italian Way" Recipes: "Pan-Fried Garlic Bread"; "Basic Aglio e Olio (Oil & Garlic Sauce)".

"The Wonderful World of Herbs" She briefly covers the majority of herbs used in Italian Cooking. Recipes: "Herb Frittata"; "Pot-Roasted Herb-Scented Pork Loin"; "Classic Pesto"; "Zucchini and Scallions with Vinegar and Mint"; "Risotto with Nettles".

"Seasonal Soups" - Lidia's Summer Soups. Recipes: "Broccoli and Shrimp Soup"; "Minestrone - Vegetarian or with Pork"; "Semolina Gnocchi in Mixed Meat Broth"; "Rice and Pea Soup".

"Good to the Last Crumb" Lidia on bread crumbs and their use in the Italian kitchen. Recipes: "Green Bean Gratinate with Cherry Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil"; "New-Style Chicken Parmigiana"; "Cavatelli with Bread Crumbs, Pancetta and Cauliflower"; "Shrimp and Scallops Gratinate"; "Ricotta Cheesecake"; "Roasted Pepper Halves with Bread Crumb Toppings".

"Cooking Class: Osso Buco" Lidia's take on the classic. Recipe: "Osso Buco".

"Pasta" What to do with it, which to use, etc. Recipes:"Farfalle with Arugula Pesto and Shrimp"; "Linguine with Garlic, Broccoli and Pecarino Cheese"; "Pasticciata with Bolognese Sauce"; "Orichette with Cauliflower, Onion and Sausage"; "Tagliatelle Carbonara"; "Rigatoni with Neapolitan Sunday Sauce"; "Fettucine with White Clams and Scallops".

"An Antipasti Party for Grown Ups" by Lidia's daughter and daughter-in-law. Recipes: "Grilled Calamari Strips"; "Mussels in Tocai Sauce"; "Bruschetta with Tuscan Beans and Caviar"; "Fried Mozzarella Sandwich Skewers"; "Stuffed Mushrooms"; "Potato and Pepper Frittata"; "Cherry Peppers Stuffed with Prosciutto and Provolone"; "Roasted Black Olives and Pearl Onions".

"Voyage of the Senses" Lidia and Friends set sail on the Adriatic. Recipes: "Aragosta in Brodetto"; "Baked Lobster with Seasoned Bread Crumbs"; "Shrimp Prepared in the Scampi Style".

"A Visit to the Fish Market" - Lidia describes how to pick the best fish at the market.

Recipe: "Simple Grilled Cod Fillets".

"Full-Roasted Ritual" Lidia with the Italian take on coffee and what to eat with it. Recipes: "Peaches in Red Wine"; "Ricotta Pancakes"; "Panini"; "Panna Cotta"; "Citrus-Almond Cake"; "Lidia's Almond Biscotti"; "Fregolotta" (a classic crumbling cookie).

"Italian Light" The emphasis is on light and healthy. Recipes: "Chunky Marinara Sauce"; "Shrimp in Chunky Marinara Sauce"; "Seared Marinated Breast of Chicken with Tomato and Basil".

"Fresh Fruit Desserts" Lidia's favorite way to showcase summer fruits. Recipes: "Fruit Jam Tartlet Cookies"; "Fragole al Balsamic"; "Blueberry-Apricot Frangipane Tart"; "Crostata Invertita with Rhubarb".

She (and the editors) cover quite a bit of territory in this first issue and start with the bar raised quite high.

Overall, I am very impressed with Lidia's magazine.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Anyone else here seen a copy of Cook's Country, the new down-home cousin of Cook's Illustrated?

I just got a promo subscription offer for this in the mail last week.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

i just subscribed to cooks country. it is quite similar to cooks illustrated and focuses on more homey or 'country' cooking. it comes out on alternating months from CI. if you like CI you'll enjoy it.

Wow. This compilation is a great resource. Thanks, Greg!

I have a question, though. Where do you draw the line between domestic-type magazines that are worthy of the "civilian" list "(e.g., Every Day with Rachel Ray, Martha Stewart Living), and other, similarly domestic + food publications that haven't made the list (e.g. Southern Living, Real Simple)?

Do these latter just not have enough food content? I suppose if you included them, then you'd have to start including stuff like Better Homes and Gardens, and then that would open a whole can of supermarket-checkout-lane domestic publications.

Just wondering what the criteria is, exactly. :rolleyes:

A different kind of question:

Anyone else not getting their copy of Gourmet in a timely fashion?

Still haven't received the June issue. May's came well into the second week. April was late too. I just started subscribing again via the complimentary deal with Jessica's Biscuit and sense a pattern here. I have called the service in Boulder, CO.

In the interest of keeping this thread on track, please just send a PM if you've been noticing the same thing, sharing your location (city or state) if you feel comfortable doing so. Thanks.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Wow. This compilation is a great resource. Thanks, Greg!

You are quite welcome.

I have a question, though. Where do you draw the line between domestic-type magazines that are worthy of the "civilian" list "(e.g., Every Day with Rachel Ray, Martha Stewart Living), and other, similarly domestic + food publications that haven't made the list (e.g. Southern Living, Real Simple)?

Do these latter just not have enough food content? I suppose if you included them, then you'd have to start including stuff like Better Homes and Gardens, and then that would open a whole can of supermarket-checkout-lane domestic publications.

Just wondering what the criteria is, exactly. :rolleyes:

The exact criteria? I just kind of pick and choose randomly. lol No, it's not quite that loose. It's just my opinion as to what the magazine's main point is. Certainly, Southern Living has a lot of food content in each issue. Despite that, they are more of a general magazine. (At least to me.) If food isn't the primary content source, then the magazine doesn't qualify as a 'food magazine'.

One way I decide about some magazines is by just looking at their cover. If the cover is a photo of a closet full of clothes (Real Simple) or a vase full of flowers (Martha Stewart Living), then it's not a food magazine.

-Greg

A different kind of question:

Anyone else not getting their copy of Gourmet in a timely fashion?

I wasn't getting my Bon Appetit magazines at all for a couple months. I went online to their website to check the status of my subscription only to find that sone idiot at the post office had returned my magazine to Bon Appetit and said it was undeliverable. :blink::angry: So my subscription was sort of on hold. I emailed them and told them to resume, that the post office was in obvious error. They nicely credited my accounted the missing issues.

So now I get to file a complaint with the post office which will be like shouting at a box of rocks. It accomplishes nothing but at least it will establish some paperwork in case something happens to my account in the future. Grrrrrrr.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 14 years later...