• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cairo

Some food vendor and street market pics I took on a recent short stop-over in Cairo:

Street market in Islamic Cairo, near the Al-Azhar Mosque

gallery_3270_1430_34647.jpg

Horse cart with a load of watermelons

gallery_3270_1430_22391.jpg

Water jugs - these are place along the street for whoever who needs a cool drink

gallery_3270_1430_24194.jpg

Street-side drinks vendor

gallery_3270_1430_28516.jpg

Bread vendor near the Al-Azhar Mosque

gallery_3270_1430_39991.jpg

More bread

gallery_3270_1430_7976.jpg

Street cafe for backgammon, shisha and coffee / mint tea

gallery_3270_1430_4377.jpg

Snacks anyone? Are these semit?

gallery_3270_1430_26870.jpg

Did you get to go into any of the Coptic Christian neighborhoods? As I understand it, the Coptics eat a vegetarian diet like 2/3 of the year.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We went to old/Coptic Cairo to do the touristy thing to visit St Sergius Church (built on top of a crypt where the Holy family hid while in Egypt), St Barbara's Church and the Hanging Church (called so as it has no foundations and is built on top of a old Roman fortress). While we were waiting for the crowd to come out from service at St Sergius, a lady who was handing out bread at the end of service, insisted on giving us some too!

I didn't know about the mainly vegetarian diet but there are lots of typical Egyptian dishes that are vegetarian - fuul medammes, taa'miya (felafel), koshary. Didn't see any food vendors either while wandering in narrow lanes in Coptic Cairo.

Did you get to go into any of the Coptic Christian neighborhoods? As I understand it, the Coptics eat a vegetarian diet like 2/3 of the year.

That may be overstating the case. During their Lenten season they don't eat meat or dairy, nor do they eat or drink anything at all during certain hours....after 3 p.m. until the following morning, if I remember correctly.

I have to admit, we've only visited our Coptic friends between November and April, so there may be something going on in the summer of which we aren't aware.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm going to follow up my own answer since I've learned that my "overstating the case" comment from yesterday was incorrect. I found, on a Coptic discussion forum, a thread discussing the fact that there are 250+ fasting days per year - pretty close to 2/3 of the year's worth. I haven't followed up to see what-all the fasts are for, know how long most of them last or how they're broken. Whether most Copts follow all those fast days seems to be up for debate - but clearly, we haven't learned as much from our friends there as I thought we had!

I should also add that their Lenten season is 55 days long. I knew it was longer, but couldn't remember by how much.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...

The whole Orthodox tradition seems to hinge on "fasting" at the drop of a hat. I couldn't get married in the Greek church this summer, because of a two-week fasting period prior to the something-of-the-Virgin (I'm a great convert!) on August 15th. In the Greek church, at least, the list of things you can't eat during the fasts covers, well, pretty much everything tasty you can think of, and I think the number of days a year it allegedly covers is comparable to the Coptic rules.

Edited by zora (log)

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome