• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Ribbon Sushi

wannabechef

Does anyone have any comments and/or recomendations about Blue Ribbon Sushi? I have a $100 gift certificate there and need advice on how to spend it. Has anyone tried their omakase? I've never done omakase before and was thinking of trying here as my first experience.

Thanks..

~WBC

I haven't been to Blue Ribbon Sushi in years.

They take no reservations, and be prepared to wait upwards of 45 minutes for a table. I remember waiting over two hours for a seating, once. That could be part of the reason why I haven't returned. :wink:

Their chawan-mushi is all right. Sushi is passable for a non-top tier sushi restaurant in New York.

I prefer Jewel Bako and Tsuki over BRS.

Soba

I've never had to wait at blue ribbon sushi in park slope, and if you think it's too far out of your way you can follow up with dessert at the chocolate room a few blocks away afterward to get the most out of the journey. I was lured by the appetizers, the dynamite's a specialty, a baked scallop topped with smelt roe, also the tuna tataki with quail egg. (they don't always have toro.) both are very rich though so it might be a lot for a warm summer night. I had two different lobster rolls which offered a lot of meat but easily fell apart. the brooklyn blue ribbon sushi is a dollar or two cheaper on a lot of dishes so that might make the trip worthwhile to get an extra plate or two out of your gift certificate.

I've always thought it was a bit overrated. The fish is good quality but I've never had my socks knocked off. I like the miso lobster though, it's quite tasty.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I've always thought it was a bit overrated. The fish is good quality but I've never had my socks knocked off. I like the miso lobster though, it's quite tasty.

Agreed -- I've never quite gotten the hype either. Good, but nothing exceptional, especially for the price. If they'll honor your GC at either Blue Ribbon proper or Blue Ribbon Bakery I'd consider going to either one instead.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have any comments and/or recomendations about Blue Ribbon Sushi? I have a $100 gift certificate there and need advice on how to spend it. Has anyone tried their omakase? I've never done omakase before and was thinking of trying here as my first experience.

Thanks..

~WBC

I have a GC for here as well for $125 and was thinking the same exact thing, omakase. Does anyone have an experience with it?

I'm not expecting it to be one of the best places for sushi, but again it is a gift certificate, I've got to use it up somehow. I don't know if it would be honored at their other restaurants; the GC and stamp both say Blue Ribbon Sushi specifically.

Edited by Giagie (log)