• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaala Namak

The many different Chaats in Delhi used to sprinkle chaat-masala which had generous doses of black(rock) salt.

Also, many folks add it to jal-jeera and home made Kaanji.

Black Salt, is native to Pakistan. I doubt that there were any left after the partition.

anil

Anil, do you make Kanji?

If yes, start a new thread and educate us about Kanji.

And I love chaat and thus love Kaala Namak.

Nope !! I just consume  :smile:  I would say that Kaanji is made of  beets, carrots, spices and other stuff and fermented in the winter sun.

anil

I'd appreciate some background on black salt, including how its taste might differ from other types of salt.

I've come to appreciate the visual beauty of dishes more in recent days, assuming the crucial fact that the dish is delicious.  I'd imagine black salt to be quite visually pleasing on certain items.  :wink:

I'd appreciate some background on black salt, including how its taste might differ from other types of salt.

Black salt (Kala Namak) is a rock, mineral salt. It has various minerals, sulphur, iron amongst them. Rock salt mines are predominently in Pakistan and maybe Afganistan.

It is a major ingredient in Chaat masalas. Hope this helps

anil

It is grayish Pink in color.

Taste sulphrous and so often when you add it to wet dishes, you get a garlic-y savory smell.

Some in India find it an odor, and many love it.

It was in many of the Dishes you ate at Dimple.

Is is a part of the spice-mix in Chaat Masala.

Foods Of India.

You can go to the spice page on my website.

Suvir

This machine I am working on today does not have enough memory to let me open it for you.

or else I would have posted just the address.

Sorry Cabrales.

I know we have mentioned the store on another thread.  Maybe the curry leaf one.

I will check there to see if I can find  the number for you.

Foods of India

121 Lexington Avenue

New York City, NY

Tel: (212) 683 4419

To my understanding, they are the best Indian grocery store in NYC.  Cleanest and freshest spices can be found here.  They may charge a few pennies a pound extra for not throwing in stems and other stuff into spice packages.