• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food-Related Podcasts

rdailey

I realize that podcasting is a pretty new technology, but there seems to be a fair amount of food related ones already. I was curious to see if there are other fellow geeks here that can recommend some culinary ones worth getting.

I did happen to find one called "All You Can Eat" which had lengthy interviews with both Bourdain and the Canadian chef at Lumiere, Rob Feenie. As well, I have been subscribing to the podcast from KCRW, Good Food, which is also full of interesting content.

BTW the site in question is

http://www.pacificpalate.com/shows_podcast.html

Its done by a Canadian food journalist based out of Vancouver. It's a great program, by the way.

Evan Kleiman out of KCRW Santa Monica, CA does the "Good Food" podcast:

http://www.podcastbunker.com/audio/goodfood.php

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

BTW the site in question is

http://www.pacificpalate.com/shows_podcast.html

Its done by a Canadian food journalist based out of Vancouver. It's a great program, by the way.

Oooo.... listen to this guy.

He liked my cookbook :wink:Yay!

Sorry for the shameless self-promotion.

where are you getting these podcasts from?

I was using Apple Music Store via iTunes. Then I searched around PodcastAlley.com. They both seemed to have a pretty similar selection.

After listening to several of them now, I can't help but think of the SNL skit with Alec Baldwin as Pete Schwetty every time. :raz:

• 6 months later...

Check out

Hungry Magazine

We recently posted Podcast interviews with Food and Wine Best New Chef 2004 Graham Eliot Bowles of Avenues restaurant, and 2005 Esquire Best New Restaurants in America chef at Butter, Ryan Poli.

"That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred." Goethe

One of the best I've come across is The Restaurant Guys. They tend to talk about restaurants, what goes into running them etc than food itself. Guests they've had on in the past include Charlie Trotter, Ruth Reichl and Michael Ruhlman. They also had Doug Psaltis on and recreated on air the "discussion" we had here.

Edited by silverbrow (log)

• 1 year later...

I discovered a great site called www.hungrymag.com that has podcasts of interviews with top Chicago chefs- great to listen to while you're working. Wondering if anyone has found other sites that have good podcasts/audio downloads related to the restaurant scene or culinary world. Thanks, Leah

• 3 months later...

Right now I am forced to work two jobs, and one is third shift, so I need to be entertained while I stock shelves at Target. I have discovered the joys of podcasts which are great because they are stimulating and fun to listen to while I work. These are a few of my favorites, anyone else have any?

Off the Broiler (of course)

Bon Apetite

Splendid Table

NPR Food

Food Philosophy

Grape Radio

Napa Valley Wine Radio

Hungry Magazine

• 13 years later...

For those who may be interested, I've tripped across a podcast series delving into Canadian food.

https://tastecooking.com/untangling-canadas-food-facts-and-fictions/

I can't help but note that she passes over Atlantic Canada entirely. Quelle surprise...

Edited by chromedome (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

The Salt + Spine podcast has been around for a while but is new to me. Its focus is on cookbooks so lots of author interviews but also some "behind the scenes" episodes on recipe testing, photography, cookbook design and publishing.  The author interviews are generally one per episode so they're longer than most I hear on other shows. 

Some of their content, like the recipes they feature from the books, is behind a paywall but the podcast episodes are free and can be found in a variety of podcast places. 

Good for someone like me who enjoys cookbooks, probably not for those who just want to cook. Or eat 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Not a podcast as such, but a CBC Radio interview with Naomi Duguid about her new book The Miracle of Salt.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-63-the-current/clip/15944210-food-writer-naomi-duguid-history-versatility-salt

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just came across this online this online chef on Facebook and am much impressed.  Adam Ragusea, Internet Cook.  For me he harkens back to the days when you could actually learn something watching a television cooking show.  Alton Brown comes to mind immediately.    This predates when the cooking shows seemed to decline into contests where the participants had to carry a 50 lb cake up 5 stairs and down again blindfolded.  Yes, I do exaggerate slightly.  I could add that the cooking periodicals seem for the most part to have followed this style also.  But that may be just me  crabbing.  

Here's Ragusea's presentation on butter.  Fascinating.

https://www.facebook.com/aragusea/videos/316074521085805

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.