• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Soups

cbarre02

So one of the easiest summer desserts are fruit soups, they can also be some of the most pourly done. Any one have any intereting things going on this summer.

We have a white sesame panna cotta on the menu right now that is served with cucumber-melon water. And i am thinking about a sweet peach and corn bisque, but haven't finalized anything on it yet.

What are you doing?

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

We currently have three threads going on chilled soups. I believe they all contain some interesting thoughts, tips, ideas and recipes for the wonderful cold fruit soups of summer.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

So one of the easiest summer desserts are fruit soups, they can also be some of the most pourly done.  Any one have any intereting things going on this summer.

We have a white sesame panna cotta on the menu right now that is served with cucumber-melon water.  And i am thinking about a sweet peach and corn bisque, but haven't finalized anything on it yet.

What are you doing?

Right now I'm doing a chilled fruit consomme, like something I saw Thomas Haas do a few years back. Fresh peach, orange, pink grapefruit, along with some apple juice and a couple shots of passionfruit, steeped with vanilla and lemongrass. I thicken it a bit with clear gel. For service, we present a cool cat's eye shaped bowl, with hazelnut chocolate raviolis and edible flowers in the bottom. The cold soup is poured tableside, and the flowers go floating to the top. The fruit with the chocolate/haznut thing is delicious.

Great minds think alike Corey.... I have been tinkering with a peach and corn bisque myself, anticipating the luscious local August crops. Trying to figure a crunchy or crispy element to go with...

Your cuke-melon water... where is it? under, or on the side in a shotglass?

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

What is a raviolis?

Wendy, you know... just like Chef Boy-ar-dee!!! Ravioli! But not "full of meat" but still "really neat to eat!" (I shouldn't have put the s on the end of the word)

I make them with wonton skins. I make a filling with hazelnut paste and cocoa, and place onto one skin, moisten, top with second skin, press, and cut out clean shape. Freeze til hard, then service prep just simmers them for 3 min, and trays them until ready to use. Voila!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

pirrouette cookies dusted with confectioners sugar is a nice touch to lay on top of a soup with another garnish like a small scoop of sorbet, fresh fruit, sugar garnish. It can float like a little island.

some of my favorite chilled soapswould be nectarine, strawberry, spiced pear.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

When the weather gets warm I always put my fruit consome with sorbet and a giant fortune cookie on the menu. It is made with mixed berries, mint, orange peel, lemon peel with a hot syrup made with 2/3 water and 1/3 sugar poured over and left to steep overnight. Then it is strained and chilled. We place the sorbet in the bowl then add some of the consome and assorted fruits around the sorbet and top with a giant fortune cookie complete with a fortune inside. My customers love it. You can see a picture of it at http://groups.msn.com/MarilynsCakes page 5 the last photo. Click on the photo to enlarge it. Sorry the picture isn't better and that I don't know how to make a link.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

That's cool it made the link for me. go to the far right of the page and click on the view all link then you can change the page to find it.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com