• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

positive outlet

highchef

I'm not looking for sympathy, just some ideas because I can't think clearly right now and I need to get in the kitchen and make something. It'll keep me busy and hopefully result in feeding my kids. I have had a really bad 2 days, worst anniversary ever and combinations of horrible events. So here's what I have to cook with (I'm not going to the grocery looking like this):

4lbs or so of hg tomatoes, equal cucumbers. a few zuc's. and a halfdoz. vidalia onions. several shallots.

4 pintss of heavy cream, a gallon of milk. 6 blocks of euro style butter, another 3 unsalted (sale)

1 pint raspberries. some banannas. plenty of sugar, flour and spices and plenty of vineagars and oils to do pretty much any sort of dressing/vineagrette.

1 organic chicken, 2lbs of Savoy's smoked pork sausage. No canned veggies to speak of except various beans. Plenty of frozen trinity etc.

Help me get a meal together, at least tell me what I can make with the fruit in the way of a dessert. Oh, I have a ton of chocolate, all kinds..the good stuff.

I was thinking of spagetti with fresh tomatoes and herbs (mint, basil and oregano from the garden) finished with a basil olive oil. Maybe just grill to heat the sausage and serve with some roasted bellpeppers I have stashed in the freezer. I could cook the chicken on the grill (splatchcocked??sp) with a nice rub...that's as far as I can get my depressed little brain to come up with, I think it's ok, but could use some help. help.

Hmm, wel, fried green tomatoes are a thing, why not fried regular tomatoes? Dredge them in your flour and some egg and fry them up...

Layer them with zuchinni and onions fried in the same way (sort of onion ring slabs) as well as some of the chicken meat (poached) and some of the sausage (fried). Feel free to use lots of cheese, some herbs of your choosing, and bake it a bit to make it all melty and gooey when you are done.

No matter what the situation, a casserole is almost always the best cure.

Sorry I can't help with dessert, I suck at those. Though a shortcake with berries is hard to beat.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

For dessert you can always make raspberry-banana cobbler

Soften the fruit with butter and sugar (add some spices if you've got any -- like cinnamon and clove) and make a dough with butter, flour and sugar. You can add some milk, water or and egg yolk if you can't manage it. Put fruit on a cesorole, add topping and bake. If you feel like it, make some chocolate sauce to go with that.

And don't worry, dessert always sweetens my days :smile:

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Rattatouille with the onions, zuccuni and onions..to go with the sausage, and maybe some rice, or you can make hand-cut pasta.

EEither roast the chicken and make soup with the carcass, or boil the chicken, and use the meat (more pasta, and cream sauce?) and use the stock another time.

Smoothies with the bannana. Almost anything (pie, souffle, summer pudding, cobbler, etc) with the raspberries, or just eat them with the heavy cream...

Roast chicken with butter and herbs. If you don't want to wait for the whole chicken to roast, flatten and butterfly it, roast on high heat.

Start a tomato sauce simmering while the chicken is cooking. Onions, herbs, something the kids will like on pasta beside the chicken.

Cucumber salad, simple, with a dash of cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Dill if you have it.

Cover the raspberries with cream for dessert. Just pour it right over. Add sugar to top if they are not naturally sweet.

Easy.

Save the sausage for breakfast.

Any eggs? Make a raspberry flan.

Otherwise.

Sautee the onions long and slow, adding a dollop of cream and a splash of vinegar at the end, and serve beneath grilled sausages and the quickly-sauteed bell peppers, and beside the spaghetti with tomatoes. The chicken is for tomorrow; roasting a chicken properly is too delicate an operation for a bad day. Sausage forgives.

But first -- put the kids out of the room (TV was made for this, as guilty as you might feel), put whatever music you love best on the stereo at whatever volume you require (short of drawing the sherrif) make yourself no less than one and no more than two stiff drinks, and start chopping just because it's fun to play with knives. It always works for me, anyway.

And, as a wise man once told me, everyone is doomed to have one fucked up vacation, birthday and anniversary in their life. Now you 've got yours out of the way, you can look forward to better onces to come. :wink:

Good luck.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

put whatever music you love best on the stereo at whatever volume you require (short of drawing the sherrif) make yourself no less than one and no more than two stiff drinks

And before you have the stiff drinks, give yourself an energy shot with a milkshake or smoothie. Whizz up some of the raspberries and bananas with some milk (or yoghurt if you have it), fruit juice and loads of ice. If you like it rich, add in a bit of cream too. This is a great pick me up drink, but it is also very comforting and will wrap its arms around you. Big hug.

Grilled bananas and cream.

Take the bananas, slice in half and place in a piece of tin foil. Dot with butter and then sprinkle on brown sugar and cinamon if you have it. Close the foil packet and stick it under the broiler or on the grill for about 5 minute or until everything inside is bubbly.

When you serve, drizzle a little cream around the bananas. Make sure to add a splash or four of rum in your packet after the bananas are cooked :wink:

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Cover the raspberries with cream for dessert. Just pour it right over. Add sugar to top if they are not naturally sweet.

I think that's breakfast tomorrow!

And before you have the stiff drinks, give yourself an energy shot with a milkshake or smoothie. Whizz up some of the raspberries and bananas with some milk (or yoghurt if you have it), fruit juice and loads of ice. If you like it rich, add in a bit of cream too. This is a great pick me up drink, but it is also very comforting and will wrap its arms around you. Big hug.

Did the smoothie, great minds think alike. thanks for the hug. Left out the raspberries, see above.

Sautee the onions long and slow, adding a dollop of cream and a splash of vinegar at the end, and serve beneath grilled sausages and the quickly-sauteed bell peppers, and beside the spaghetti with tomatoes. The chicken is for tomorrow; roasting a chicken properly is too delicate an operation for a bad day. Sausage forgives.

I'm gonna roll with this, easy and quick. Gracias.

And, as a wise man once told me, everyone is doomed to have one fucked up vacation, birthday and anniversary in their life. Now you 've got yours out of the way, you can look forward to better onces to come.

Now I've got all three out of the way, I guess if it gets worse after this I should quit vacations (that story is a doozy, and is hilarious....now.) and birthdays (not suicidal, just tired of having them anyway, although it is when I get jewelery! :biggrin: )

The anniversarys will be another story....it'll be ok, just need a vacation. God did I just say that???? :shock:

Take the bananas, slice in half and place in a piece of tin foil. Dot with butter and then sprinkle on brown sugar and cinamon if you have it. Close the foil packet and stick it under the broiler or on the grill for about 5 minute or until everything inside is bubbly.

and if I can start my now wet charcoal (found it by the pit, summer rainstorms hit yesterday) This will be dessert, other wise I'm going with

Any eggs? Make a raspberry flan
Thank you all, have a really good holiday.

and this advice..

No matter what the situation, a casserole is almost always the best cure.
is for tomorrow.

Thanks again. You saved me from having to go to the store and being a sniviling idiot.

I'm not looking for sympathy, just some ideas because I can't think clearly right now and I need to get in the kitchen and make something. It'll keep me busy and hopefully result in feeding my kids. I have had a really bad 2 days, worst anniversary ever and combinations of horrible events. So here's what I have to cook with (I'm not going to the grocery looking like this):

4lbs or so of hg tomatoes, equal cucumbers. a few zuc's. and a halfdoz. vidalia onions. several shallots.

4 pintss of heavy cream, a gallon of milk. 6 blocks of euro style butter, another 3 unsalted (sale)

1 pint raspberries. some banannas. plenty of sugar, flour and spices and plenty of vineagars and oils to do pretty much any sort of dressing/vineagrette.

1 organic chicken, 2lbs of Savoy's smoked pork sausage. No canned veggies to speak of except various beans. Plenty of frozen trinity etc.

Help me get a meal together, at least tell me what I can make with the fruit in the way of a dessert. Oh, I have a ton of chocolate, all kinds..the good stuff.

I was thinking of spagetti with fresh tomatoes and herbs (mint, basil and oregano from the garden) finished with a basil olive oil. Maybe just grill to heat the sausage and serve with some roasted bellpeppers I have stashed in the freezer. I could cook the chicken on the grill (splatchcocked??sp) with a nice rub...that's as far as I can get my depressed little brain to come up with, I think it's ok, but could use some help. help.

This is what I was thinking:

Grate up zuccini and onion add a little egg and make cakes out of them. Cut up the cucumber and tomatoes and make a pico de gallo to serve with the cakes.

I'd just roast the bird and grill the sausage and serve it with tortillas so folks could tear it up, roll it up, and eat it. Grate cucumbers into sour cream for the sauce.

Saute the strawberries in butter, sprinkle wilth a little brown sugar and deglace with liqueur. Serve over ice cream, or over a banana and under whipped cream.