• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory Custards

Macarons&Mozart

When I was dining at the Eiffel Tower Restaurant, in Las Vegas, one of the amuses bouches was a porcini mushroom custard. It was absolutely delicious! Do any fellow e-Gulleters know of any recipes for something like this or other savory custards. I'd love to hear your recipes and/or ideas. Thanks!

Robert Kim

Edited by Macarons&Mozart (log)

there's alot of ideas. a few could be one with seafood. like lobster custard, scallop custard. make a bisue and add some egg yolks for a nice crab bique custard. make a custard with a stock, like chicken stock, beef stock. any vegetable would be nice as a custard. i just follow this guideline and adjust as needed. 3 yolks for every 250 liquid.

bork bork bork

A restaurant in London, Kensington Place, used to make a really good 'savoury custard'. I can't remember what they called it and have no idea if they still do it.

It was a goats cheese custard that was obviously made in a dariole type mould. When it was turned out onto the plate, it stood farily high and had finely chopped black olives on top (which obviously had been in the bottom of the mould). It was served with a swirl of olive oil and I think reduced balsamic vinegar, although I do remember it having a bit of a blackcurrant taste. It was a long time ago, and just about pre-dated 'tower' foods and squeezy bottles. Really, really good though. I still intend to make it after all these years!

The Japanese version - chawanmushi - is a simply mixture of dashi (a light fish/seaweed broth) and whole beaten eggs. It doesn't set much - almost like jelly. Can get bits of shellfish, meat etc. dropped in it.

A traditional western savoury "custard" in contrast would generally involve more eggs/cream so less light, but the fats in the cream would infuse/carry flavours better. Tom Aikens in London uses a lot of savoury custards - he calls them "cassonades".

If you were doing a posh savoury custard pureed raw foie gras would be an obvious enrichment. Just don't overcook it!

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

The Japanese version - chawanmushi - is a simply mixture of dashi (a light fish/seaweed broth) and whole beaten eggs.  It doesn't set much - almost like jelly. Can get bits of shellfish, meat etc. dropped in it.

This is such a good dish too. Another thing I haven't had in years (no good Japanese restaurants in Dublin). Have you ever made this Jon? I only ever had it in restaurants.