• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lucille's On the decline?

Not to be a bore with only negative comments. I miss being in Boulder.

Recently I had the opportunity to share a bit of Boulder with a friend. We went to Lucille's and while the Biscuits were great, everything else was bland and ugly. My lonely old trout shrunk in horror from the miserable tasteless grits that accompanied it on the plate. The coffee was sock juice, even the benets were leaden, not the delicate slippers I remember. Yes you could say that I had built unreasonable expectations, but I trust my buds (taste) on this one, and think that Lucille's has lost it's way. Saddly (since I have worked in the biz) I saw a manager dress down a waiter in the middle of the porch. It was unprofessional....on a more positive note I actually enjoyed a tasty "chinese" meal in Erie, yes Erie....

We went to Lucile's last year and waited upstairs for about an hour for a table (and we eventually had to share our table with a couple of strangers). Not bad, but overrated. The creole sauce wasn't very spicy, and the beignets didn't make me forget about New Orleans. We haven't been back.

So where was this great Chinese meal in Erie?

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

So where was this great Chinese meal in Erie?

I live in Erie and the only Chinese restaurant that I know of is Lui's Chinese (Lui's web site). I can confirm that it is pretty tasty. I'm not a conisseur of Chinese food but I liked it. Apparently the chef/owner is pretty well thought of. With them, Mina's, and the Colorado Coal Company (no site that I can find) steakhouse Erie has some reasonable dining options.

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

I think Lucille's was going downhill when I left Boulder, 3 years ago this month. They were cool back in the day, but "meh" lately.

Anyone know if Angkor Wat is still in Longmont? It had incredibly good Asian takeout, for being in a strip mall. They opened about 2 months before I left, and I still miss the food.

Lucille's has always, in my experience, been a little hit or miss. Inevitably either the sausage is a bit greasy, the eggs not cooked exactly right, or everything swims in too much of whatever semi-exotic sauce finishes the dish. If the plates were $12 it would be an issue, but at greasy spoon tariffs it's OK.

The Beignets have never, on the other, disappointed, but maybe I have just been lucky on that front.

It's a place I take out-of-towners on occasion, but otherwise I wouldn't waste the calories. Too bad, as with a bit more attention in the kitchen it would be epic...

always looking forward to...the next meal

Too bad, as with a bit more attention in the kitchen it would be epic...

I agree. And there are plenty of talented folks in the kitchens of Boulder...

I can confirm that Lui's is the place, btw. Even the scallops tasted fresh, dry, not wet, and the flavors more subtle and complex than most of that genre.

Back to subject

It would be a shame if Lucille's died, its a great location and a beautiful house etc...

Anyone know if Angkor Wat is still in Longmont? It had incredibly good Asian takeout, for being in a strip mall. They opened about 2 months before I left, and I still miss the food.

Yes, it's still there. I haven't been, but I pass by pretty often. I keep saying to myself that I'll try it, maybe I'll manage soon.