• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans Cheap Eats

JennotJenn

Maybe I didn't look quite hard enough, but I couldn't find anything specifically on cheap eating in NO. Most of the recs seem to focus on fine dining, but I'm on a really limited budget. I think I have enough money to do one fine dining event (Upperline is closed, so maybe Bayona), but otherwise I need cheap. Really cheap. For breakfast, lunch and dinner I'm talking under $10, but hopefully under $5 (for each meal). Is this even possible? I'll eat anything, not at all picky, btw. I'll be staying in a hotel, but am taking my collapsable cooler so I can keep leftovers...if I can get a huge cheap meal for lunch and eat the remainder for dinner, that would be awesome,too.

I'm looking at Wille Mae's for Monday's lunch, and I need to really stretch my dollar. I'm sure RayRay has done a $40 a day in NO, but somehow I trust you guys more...

And if you can point me to another thread, please feel free.

Gourmet Anarchy

Camellia Grill 626 S Carrollton Ave

No credit cards ... cash only ...

Mother's Restaurant 401 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA

have a po' boy at this cafeteria-style deli

Bluebird Cafe 3625 Prytania St, New Orleans, LA

A low-priced menu innovative breakfast and lunch dishes with

more cheap eats in NO? :wink: check these out too ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'll second Camillia Grill and Mother's, and add central grocery for muffallatta's (the original, and huge for leftovers) There's always beignetsand coffee from Cafe Du Monde, or fresh fruit from the produce (and cheap knockoff's) market right behind it. have fun.

I think Mother's on Poydras still have the "early-bird" breakfast special for under $5. Eggs, grits, sausage, biscuit, toast, butter, jelly, oj OR coffee.

Nacho Mama's in the CBD also has big veggie burritos for under $5.

Place St. Charles (201 St. Charles) has a 2nd floor food court with a nice variety (no national chains).

Serio's Deli has good down-home lunch specials: red beans & rice, YakkaMein (noodles in gravy w/ soy sauce & hot sauce), etc.

Tandoori Chicken near the Fairmont hotel has a lunch buffet, but I think it's closer to $10 than $5.

The theme is that all these places are in the CBD section where office workers (like myself) want to get a quick and cheap bite to eat. Order-at-counter type food. No waiters, no tablecloth, grab and go.

-bj- Writing stories for computers and humans since 1979.

You can eat cheap by going ala carte and appatizers, even at some of the more upscale places a bowl of gumbo will run about $6.50. One of the best lunches we had was just sampling a couple of appitizers at The Palace Cafe.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Call Brigtsen's for their early bird special (Tues/Wed/Thurs before 6:30). This place is so great that it can be your "special" dinner for only $20 (without drinks, of course). It really is that great. http://www.brigtsens.com/

Get a muffeletta at The Napoleon House for maybe $6 or $7. One muff can feed 2 people! http://www.napoleonhouse.com/menu1.html

You can get a couple of Creole tomatoes at the French market, some mayo & bread and have great tomato sandwiches with a big glass of iced tea, one of my favorite treats. :raz:

An oyster po-boy at Acme Oyster House is always good.

http://www.acmeoyster.com/

The Gumbo Shop is very inexpensive, and it has a great atmosphere. There's even a little courtyard to sit if it's not too hot. Try their combo plate with jambalaya, gumbo & red beans for $8.50.

http://www.accesscom.net/gumbo/gumbomenu.html

Have fun!

you might want to try Mona's , I highly recommend the lebanese iced tea. And the gyro.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

As far as cheap eats go, Dunbars on Freret is the champion. Very authentic creole and soul food selections. I believe its all you can eat red beans. Dissmal decor though. Part of the appeal really. Its so bad its good.

Johnny's po boys on St. Louis for fried shrimp anything over Acme. Acme is great for raw oysters and that's about it. Try the shrimp club salad if you don't want a po boy.

Cafe Maspero on Decatur as opposed to Maspero's on Royal (long story), they are a few bucks cheaper than most places in the quarter.

You can't beat Country Flame's prices. 620 Iberville. They serve Mexican Spanish and Cuban Food. The 16 oz. steak is $10.75, 12 oz Ribeye is $8.25. Po boys ubder $5.00.

Royal St. Grocery, 801 Royal is reasonable. Specials are $5.40. 10 Inch po boys are $6.40.

Salt 'n' Pepper, 201 St. Peter has very inex[ensive, with huge portions, Pakistani food. Quite good.

Verdi Mart is definatley a good choice.

The People's Grocery, on Conti, has a fried chicken drummetes, with potato salad and baked macaroni special on Thursday for $6.00. The fried shrimp plate is good also.

The Petiite Espresso, on Decatur, corner Conti, in the French Market Inn Hotel has nice sandwiches on Ciabatta bread for $6.50.

Cake Cafe on Exchange Place has good sandwiches on muti grain or homemade foccacia for $6.00.

You definately get a lot of good food for your money at Mothers.

I think the food at the House of Blues is quite reasonable and well prepared.

Crabby Jacks is a good choice. Get the duck po boy. Their shrimp po boys are huge. Feed two easily.

I second Mona's. The Gyro sandwich is $3.75 I believe. very good.

Juan's Flying Burrito.

Magazine Street is a good place to hunt down lesser priced fair. A lot of good pizza places and other choices. Much less expensive than the Quarter, and good for strolling.

Don't forget Popeye's, check for their specials.

Have fun. ch

Edited by saturnbar (log)

Thanks, everyone. Looks like I won't starve to death after all. I'm going to print this out and bring it with me. I'll be in the convention center (IFT conference) for a good part of the day, but plan on taking long, leisurely lunches, so I can hit up any of places. Thanks!

Gourmet Anarchy