• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zucchini pudding?

I had an incredible dinner last night at this great Mexican restaurant in Tokyo. It is a tiny place one man and only 14 chairs, so everything is cooked in front of you. I missed however when he was putting together this fantastic zucchini pudding. It was a cross between a souffle and a quiche, the height and look of a quiche (no crust) but the creaminess of a souffle. The zucchini appearred to have been grated (the pieces were tiny) and were still bright green so I am assuming they weren't precooked and the whole dish probably didn't cook for long.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I really want to make this, I could probably eat it everyday. :biggrin:

It also had cheese in it, but I have no idea what kind and there were no herbs or anything else to detract from the simple yet incredibly delicious flavor.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kristin,

I can't help I'm afraid. I've not seen anything like this in Mexico. But you can bet I'll be on the lookout for it now,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

This doesn't sound much like the dish you describe-- it has spices and the zucchini are diced-- but I wonder if the flour and baking powder might get you something like the texture you're looking for. Edited by Tess (log)

I have tried looking the various places and I come up with budin, but they are all for corn...

This dish was so incredible I can't stop thinking about it!!

In another week I will be in the US with fresh eggs from my sister's chickens and tons of zucchini from my dad's garden, maybe I will just play around with it. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Diana Kennedy has a recipe for torta de clabacitas (zucchini squash torte) in The Cuisines of Mexico. There are some differences from the product you describe, but it most likely a variation of the same thing. I have made it before and it has the texture you describe. It uses layers of sliced zucchini and rajas con jitomate (chile strips with tomatoes), but a variation with shredded squash would probably produce what you describe. I'll paraphrase the recipe in case you want to try it.

Cut 1.5 lbs of zucchini into thin strips, cook in boilining water for 3-5 minutes and cool. Preheat oven to 350 F and butter a 2-quart souffle dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Beat the whites of 3 eggs until stiff, then add 1/4 tsp. salt and add yolks, one at a time. Layer cooled squash, rajas con jitomate, and room-temperature meunster cheese, followed by eggs mixture and dot with butter in 3 layers, ending with squash-egg-cheese-butter (no rajas) as the third layer. Bake until the egg sets, about 25-30 minutes.

for rajas con jitomate

1/2 medium onion cut in thin strips

4 poblano chiles, veined and seeded, in strips about 1 1/2 inches by 1/2 inch wide 10 oz. peeled, seeded, and chopped tomato

Fry onion in oil until soft but not browned, add chile strips and salt, and tomato. Cook over moderately high heat until liquid has evaborated.

I feel like in paraphrasing this I've left out all the imprtant parts that show Diana Kennedy's personality and knowledge of when something looks right, so blame me and not her if this doesn't work for you. I've had it and thought it was excellent.