• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greenwood Dining Recs

Ahoy there,

This week I am going to be trapped in Greenwood on three separate occasions this week helping a friend tear his house to pieces and redo his kitchen floor. He is around 85th street and for the life of me I cannot even think of one good place down there. Does anyone even go there (lol)?? Anyway, he just brewed this super ale and we may be on foot so maybe some pretty close places or some within cheap fare cab distance!

Some of these places are a little further down toward Phinney but not an unreasonable walk. They're my favorites in the neighborhood.

For casual/take out: Olive You, Mr. Gyros, Red Mill Burgers.

Nicer places: Stumbling Goat, Carmeilta, Saltoro (at 145th, so not walking distance)

Barking Dog at 70th and 7th NW is a little further but has a good selection of Belgian beers and much better than average bar food.

Ahoy there,

This week I am going to be trapped in Greenwood on three separate occasions this week helping a friend tear his house to pieces and redo his kitchen floor. He is around 85th street and for the life of me I cannot even think of one good place down there. Does anyone even go there (lol)?? Anyway, he just brewed this super ale and we may be on foot so maybe some pretty close places or some within cheap fare cab distance!

There is a hole in the wall Szechuan restaurant, Szechuan Bistro, half a block west of Greenwood at 122 N 85th. Highly recommended. Hot and spicy, east coast style.

Also, two blocks north of 85th on Greenwood, a seriously authentic Chicago-style barbecue joint, the OK Corral.

<br><br>Wow! Take me to dinner, and I'll come help with the tear-down! ;->

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

Mmm Olive You!

Also for casual, Gorditos on 85th just west of greenwood has great burritos, and the nicest owners in the world.

Mori on 85th about 2 blocks west of Greenwood is nice little japanese hole-in-the-wall. My sushi eating friends like the fishy bits, I'm happy with the meaty bits & the tempura-ed ginger ice-cream.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Tequila Taqueria on 85th a little farther down from Mori, and just a little farther Georgia's Greek Restaurant. There's Kebab House, on Greenwood and 82nd, but don;t be in a rush, I swear sometimes they have to rinish rasing the lamb before they can serve it.

Rocky

Thank you..thank you someone else reminded me of the old Rangoli space which I believe is now Maharaja Kitchen. Had some good meals there but of course it has changed. Anyone been in that lil dive since?

Thank you..thank you someone else reminded me of the old Rangoli space which I believe is now Maharaja Kitchen. Had some good meals there but of course it has changed. Anyone been in that lil dive since?

I have not. I can't recall which name they went under, but several years ago the Indian restaurant there was quite good, unfortunately since then there have been so many bad indian resaurants in that space that I've given up trying :sad: however if someone here reccomends them I'll give it another go. I miss having good indian food that delivers to my door!

Yanni's Greek on Greenwood down at 74th is supposed to be very nice.

Karen-What do you get at Szechuan Bistro? I really WANT to like it (they deliver, and their menu has some interesting offerings) but everything I've ordered has been just allright.

Yanni's is a neighborhood favorite, but on my only visit, I found it pretty mediocre. They are famous for being slow, so don't go if you're in a hurry.

I've only been to Maharaja once and that was enough. The service was really nice and earnest, but the food was incredibly mediocre and indifferent. As far as Szechuan Bistro goes, I used to like the hot pot and the dry sauteed string beans with chitterlings.

Rocky

I am a big fan of the OK Corral which, as I understand it, is Georgia style BBQ.

Yum.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I always felt that Phinney/Greenwood was one of the better places in town to eat... Carmelita (usually very nice, occasionally uneven) was long the first place I thought of for a nice meal in Seattle, though I am now tempted by other things, Gorditos on 85th is one of my standbys for a $3-6 lunch/dinner, Red Mill has that roasted anaheim thing going on and decent milkshakes, there's an interesting but perhaps too "southern German" for my taste German pub called Barking Dog, across from Carmelita.

I liked Szechuan Bistro on 85th, but I've only had a shaved noodle dish. In spite of the popularity of doing takeout/delivery Chinese food, it's an impossibly cruel thing to do to a fresh noodle soup and not very good to do to stir-fried dishes either, so I would recommend having either their signature hot pot or shaved noodles in the restaurant before writing it off.

For other lo-fi food, Mr. Gyro was decent enough, and there's a passable but not quite as exciting Mexican place a bit west of Gorditos; another convenience-store-looking place on Greenwood next to Olive You is supposed to have some good tortas, though I keep missing it. There are some communication barriers, but acceptable but not stellar Ethiopian food was available across the street from Greenwood Market in a nondescript building.

Green Bean cafe (nonprofit cafe) just opened on 85th.

Were it not for a bunch of nondescript 70s-style "Chinese-American" places, I think Phinney/Greenwood would get a lot more culinary respect.

If you're willing to head north a bit you can always get some decent Korean food on 99 (Hosoonyi, for example). You're also a short hop to Greenlake, which has various options, and not at all far from the accidentally hip center of Ballard, where you could find yourself at La Carta de Oaxaca, as I did last night, for example.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Across from Carmelita is German pub Prost, not Barking Dog. Prost is actually very good but the food they offer is mostly very simple and simply done, like a cured sausage plate with a couple of links and a dollop of mustard.

Avoid Barking Dog, at 70th and 7th NW at all costs.

I like the coffee house on the corner of Greenwood and 80th when the time comes to sober up.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

oh and if you want a sugar infusion Chocolati at greenwood and 83rd(?) will happily serve you chocolate in any of various liquid or solid forms (they probably have coffee too).

Ah, yes, that's right. Thanks for the correction... my memory is fuzzy about that place, since I've only been there once. I'm usually impressed by very simple/simply done.

Diva and Herkimer are fairly decent as a coffee shop options... and Chocolati is actually soon to be producing products on behalf of one of my clients, so I should have thought to mention them as well. They all serve that morning-boost function for me.

Across from Carmelita is German pub Prost, not Barking Dog.  Prost is actually very good but the food they offer is mostly very simple and simply done, like a cured sausage plate with a couple of links and a dollop of mustard.

Avoid Barking Dog, at 70th and 7th NW at all costs.

I like the coffee house on the corner of Greenwood and 80th when the time comes to sober up.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Thanks for all the replies. Have gone out to a few places. Funny thing is that one of the places I went, I talked with the owners and they offered to sell me the place after I told them I was looking. I guess biz was not too good for them (lol). Maybe my weird style would work there. Next stop will be that chocolati. I can eat or drink chocolate in any form. It has helped me build my physique over the years. I will then check out the green bean. I am curious to see how a non profit place works. Report soon!

RE: Barking Dog: I go there when I want bar-type food-french dip, fried halibut sandwich, etc-and good beer (they have the Maredsous 8 I love). I've been a dozen times and it's always been good.

the new location of Gaspare's, which appeared to be doing a booming business yesterday.

Miulang

Was this their first night or a preview/mock dinner? I passed it about 9 pm on the 5th of July and it looked like the staff was flopped out on the porch - a long, fast night? Looking forward to trying it, though the menu is so old school.

Still waiting for Fresh Flour to open...sidewalk, sidewalk, sidewalk...almost done.

RE: Barking Dog: I go there when I want bar-type food-french dip, fried halibut sandwich, etc-and good beer (they have the Maredsous 8 I love). I've been a dozen times and it's always been good.

We also go to Barking Dog for pub grub and great ales. The food is average but the service and beer selection is great. I wouldn't say to avoid it! I like the neighborhoody aspect of this little place.

Karen-What do you get at Szechuan Bistro? I really WANT to like it (they deliver, and their menu has some interesting offerings) but everything I've ordered has been just allright.

Yanni's is a neighborhood favorite, but on my only visit, I found it pretty mediocre. They are famous for being slow, so don't go if you're in a hurry.

at Szechuan Bistro: Szechuan pork and pickled cabbage soup. Anything with fried tofu. And, forwhatever reason, their food seems to be a lot more exciting at lunch.

Cheers,

Karen

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

Gaspare's.

Well, I wasn't disappointed as I didn't have high expectations. It isn't a place I will likely return to with all the other options in town, though proximity is great. The waiter was a doll, and his service style was actually better than the restaurant. The space has been nicely renovated and while loud, it was tolerable. The prices are high for what is being served, I think. Small salads, served for $4 (?) with entree are good sized and just fine. Plates of pasta for $13-$17, are serviceable. I actually liked the leftover puttanesca better cold than hot, though the oil slick was a bit much. Not too spicy, but a pleasant kick. The clams looked and smelled great (next table.) They were out of antipasta and hadn't started making pizzas as of Friday, but the joint was jumping. Not bad for 4th night of service.

Thanks for the review. I also don't have high expectations but thought it might be allright as a place within walking distance while we have no kitchen this summer, but I hate to pay that much for mediocre pasta.