• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Wild Sockeye

I spent yesterday with my very hungover mother (the first of many birthday parties this week), and it was virtually impossible getting her to make up her mind about dinner. Well, lucky for us, on our way back to home, I spotted a sign that said "Fresh Salmon". To hell with home, we were going to the docks. My mom lives on 96th in Delta, just minutes from the SurDel "Port", so when the Sockeye is in, the signs are all over the street. This was the first day that the boats were in with stock. And what beautiful stock it is :biggrin:

gallery_18348_1442_278139.jpg

Our fishees waiting for me to break them down. Look how clear the eyes are. They were still stiff when we put them in the car.

gallery_18348_1442_80786.jpg

Isn't he pretty :wub: Have I mentioned that I love Sockeye this fresh.

The price was pretty good, $5.50 a lb, so two came to $45. To give some perspective, I picked up a Sockeye Fillet at Granville Island on Monday and it was $14.99 a lb. So, if you're looking for Sockeye and you have freezer space, this is the place to go. It's a very small fishing vessel, he is only bring in small amounts and usually is sold out with 48 hours of being back. Right now, he's fishing is Barclay (? I think that was it, I was too busy ooooing over the big box of fish)Sound and he only sells at the docks.

My mom lives on 96th in Delta, just minutes from the SurDel "Port", so when the Sockeye is in, the signs are all over the street.  This was the first day that the boats were in with stock.  And what beautiful stock it is

....Right now, he's fishing is Barclay (? I think that was it, I was too busy ooooing over the big box of fish)Sound and he only sells at the docks.

So I guess the native food fishery is over. Does anyone know when the commercial Sockeye fishery opened on the Fraser as I wonder when we can start to see the nice fresh stuff here in Toronto. I hope that I have not missed it. I used to live in North Delta and boy do I miss the days of going down to the Fraser Docks just off River Road.

Edited by mkjr (log)

officially left egullet....

Sam -I could probably call, but where are these guys?  The contact info is just a phone #...

thanks.

jeff

Saw them @ the False Creek Fisherman's Dock Sunday whilst having F&C @ Go Fish.

So I guess the native food fishery is over.  Does anyone know when the commercial Sockeye fishery opened on the Fraser as I wonder when we can start to see the nice fresh stuff here in Toronto.  I hope that I have not missed it.  I used to live in North Delta and boy do I miss the days of going down to the Fraser Docks just off River Road.

The Native Food Fishey will be open again-of that there's no doubt.

The Dept of Fisheries and Oceans has a mandate to

#1-conserve Canadian fish stocks for posterity.

#2-protect/provide fish for Native FCS purposes.

#3-provide access to fish stocks for Commercial concerns

#4-provide opportunity for Recreational Fisheries.

The in river Commercial fishery is pale shadow of what you remember and has largely been displaced by Native FCS fisheries.

You'll be seeing lots of Sockeye soon but it'll most likely be purse seined product from Johnstone Strait openings.

According to the fishmonger, the Fraser won't be open for a few more weeks and it sounds like it's going to be another very very small run. I don't know how much is going to end up in Toronto, but hopefully you will get something there.