• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

• 4 years later...

WOW that is cheap!

Even at $6.65 CDN, I have never seen lobsters at that rate.  Any idea of the source?

Lowest I have seen here is $8.50/lb (CDN)

Stock up, par cook them, freeze in some fat - enjoy!

1 hour ago, johnnyd said:

Today's lobster price...

IMG_20200904_085932019.thumb.jpg.14663734c1632f015aa25ec220e8f08d.jpg

Happy consumers but probably discouraged fishermen... Or Pandemic is lowering buying so they had to move them?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, johnnyd said:

Today's lobster price...

IMG_20200904_085932019.thumb.jpg.14663734c1632f015aa25ec220e8f08d.jpg

Maybe it would be better to leave them to grow for another year

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Haresfur:

Maine has strict size restrictions for harvestable lobster - 3.25" to 5" carapace to eye socket. Anything smaller stays in the water. Anything larger becomes breeding stock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

8 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

not to rain on any parades, but supermarkets rather frequently put up "loss leaders" to stimulate business.

i.e. an item priced at/below cost to attract a crowd....

Never seen lobster as a loss leader a most Americans run from boiling a live critter.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

not to rain on any parades, but supermarkets rather frequently put up "loss leaders" to stimulate business.

i.e. an item priced at/below cost to attract a crowd....

I am off to the Redneck Riviera two weeks from tomorrow. Already planning my meals. There will be grilled grouper. There will be a shrimp boil. There will be Royal Reds, a variety of deep-water shrimp that, in taste and texture, resemble lobster. There will be char-grilled oysters at Acme, which, God love 'em, have opened an outpost in Gulf Shores. 

I have been known at the beach to eat boiled shrimp for dinner, and the leftovers for breakfast. And I'll bring 20 pounds or so home.

• Delicious 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

I have been known at the beach to eat boiled shrimp for dinner, and the leftovers for breakfast. And I'll bring 20 pounds or so home.

Don't we all?!?