• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish and Seafood

Adam Balic

9 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Ten Good Reasons to Love Saugers - MidWest Outdoors
I buy baby pickerel / sauger. Google tells me they are a smaller than Walleye:

Walleye are often called pickerel, especially in English speaking parts of Canada, while in the United States of America, they call the same species (Sander vitreus) a walleye.
And around and around we go. Whatever name, they are all good eating.

We'd call that a sauger in PA. Walleye if there's a black spot at the back of the dorsal fin. 

Pickerel look like mini pike with a chain pattern on their sides. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

In hopes of encouraging myself to cook more fish and seafood and know that it's local and sustainably caught,  I signed up for a weekly fish/seafood delivery service called Get Hooked. They serve Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Ventura counties. I really liked that they have a small share option ~ 12 oz or about 3 meals for me.  I can always bump up my order if I'm having people over.  The timing also works out well for me.  I get an email on Wednesday evening, telling me what my "catch of the day" will be for my Thursday pick-up.  That gives me time to give some thought to what I'll make and pick up any missing items at our Thursday farmers market.  I could get home delivery but chose a less expensive option of picking up at a local drop-off.  

In addition to that catch of the day, they also offer other fresh and frozen fish and seafood that you can get in addition to or instead of their choice.  And they have an on-line pantry shop of items from other local small businesses that can be delivered along with the fish. 

So far, I've been quite pleased.  The first week was ahi tuna loin that I used to make poke and tacos.  Last week was rockfish, nothing fancy, but nice and fresh.  I cooked it with a fermented black bean sauce and bok choy and also made more tacos.  Today I got some nice albacore filets. I think a grilled albacore sandwich will probably happen.  Wasabi poke is on the list and I'll sous vide whatever's left into a tuna confit type thing using the Zuni Cafe Cookbook recipe. 

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, they gave me this cute little insulated bag to use when I pick up the fish - I now have a dedicated fish purse 🙃

B044B3D1-354F-4196-BEBE-510C625C4BA5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.19c92190a97381b4775e8e51711592e7.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

In hopes of encouraging myself to cook more fish and seafood and know that it's local and sustainably caught,  I signed up for a weekly fish/seafood delivery service called Get Hooked. They serve Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Ventura counties. I really liked that they have a small share option ~ 12 oz or about 3 meals for me.  I can always bump up my order if I'm having people over.  The timing also works out well for me.  I get an email on Wednesday evening, telling me what my "catch of the day" will be for my Thursday pick-up.  That gives me time to give some thought to what I'll make and pick up any missing items at our Thursday farmers market.  I could get home delivery but chose a less expensive option of picking up at a local drop-off.  

In addition to that catch of the day, they also offer other fresh and frozen fish and seafood that you can get in addition to or instead of their choice.  And they have an on-line pantry shop of items from other local small businesses that can be delivered along with the fish. 

So far, I've been quite pleased.  The first week was ahi tuna loin that I used to make poke and tacos.  Last week was rockfish, nothing fancy, but nice and fresh.  I cooked it with a fermented black bean sauce and bok choy and also made more tacos.  Today I got some nice albacore filets. I think a grilled albacore sandwich will probably happen.  Wasabi poke is on the list and I'll sous vide whatever's left into a tuna confit type thing using the Zuni Cafe Cookbook recipe. 

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, they gave me this cute little insulated bag to use when I pick up the fish - I now have a dedicated fish purse 🙃

B044B3D1-354F-4196-BEBE-510C625C4BA5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.19c92190a97381b4775e8e51711592e7.jpeg

Wow thank you so much for this. I was teary eyed reading their story. As a singleton and seafood lover the option you chose sounds perfect though I'd have to do delivery. Will continue to check out. I've just been buying the frozen individual vac packed filets or supposedly wild caught from my Ralphs. You may have seen this article in the LA Times about the tyes of tuna. I did not know that the "ranched" tuna can still be labeled wild as it geneticlly is yet is pen-raised. https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2023-05-03/wild-farmed-pacific-atlantic-bluefin-tuna-species  

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I hope the bag comes in other colours. 😇

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Haha 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

• 4 weeks later...

Need some help with ideas for skipjack tuna.

Brother went out fishing. "I am gonna try and catch some fish for the family reunion!" He wasn't kidding. 39lb wahoo, scamp, snapper, and the skipjack. I am comfortable with all the fish except the tuna and I need ideas.

2 hours ago, billyhill said:

Need some help with ideas for skipjack tuna.

Poke?  Here's one recipe for skipjack poke.  If you make poke for a party and have leftovers, you can make wok-fried poke the next day.  Here's Sheldon Simeon's wok-fried poke recipe  and here's a Sam Choy video:

Seared tuna loin steaks are always good.  I've been using the salt/pepper/crushed coriander seed coating that I got from a recipe in Taste & Technique.  Once seared, you can serve as a steak with any sort of salsa/relish type thing that appeals to you.  Or slice up the seared steaks and use on a salad or stuff into tacos. 

Smaller pieces are good candidates for making tuna confit.  Here's an LA Times recipe Conserved Tuna that's similar to the one that I use from the Zuni Cafe Cookbook and use it to make this Pasta with Preserved Tuna.   I like the seasonings in that Zuni tuna recipe but sometimes use the Chef Steps sous vide method instead of the stovetop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@billyhill much like @blue_dolphin noted, I like it in steaks on the grill. The guys would bring it back from Mexico fishing trips. I usually gave it a short rubdown with olive oil and lime (because I had a prolific tree). Served with a green sauce of vaious herbs. The kids liked the green sauce with some cream in it. I ejoyed the smokiness from the grill. Good times.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

Just be kind to the fish and don't overcook it (if you cook it at all)!

I would echo above sentiments and probably KISS it - olive oil, salt - a hot ass (preferably charcoal) grill and just 40-60 seconds per side.  Citrus squeeze and enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, johnnyd said:

Grilled octopus appetizer at Scales restaurant, Portland Maine. Cipollini reduction and pine nuts. Delicious!

IMG_20230718_172130242_HDR~3.jpg

Such a fun restaurant, @johnnyd! They def know how to cook the seafoods.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 months later...