• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish and Seafood

Adam Balic

• 4 years later...

Haresfur:

Maine has strict size restrictions for harvestable lobster - 3.25" to 5" carapace to eye socket. Anything smaller stays in the water. Anything larger becomes breeding stock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

8 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

not to rain on any parades, but supermarkets rather frequently put up "loss leaders" to stimulate business.

i.e. an item priced at/below cost to attract a crowd....

Never seen lobster as a loss leader a most Americans run from boiling a live critter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

not to rain on any parades, but supermarkets rather frequently put up "loss leaders" to stimulate business.

i.e. an item priced at/below cost to attract a crowd....

I am off to the Redneck Riviera two weeks from tomorrow. Already planning my meals. There will be grilled grouper. There will be a shrimp boil. There will be Royal Reds, a variety of deep-water shrimp that, in taste and texture, resemble lobster. There will be char-grilled oysters at Acme, which, God love 'em, have opened an outpost in Gulf Shores. 

I have been known at the beach to eat boiled shrimp for dinner, and the leftovers for breakfast. And I'll bring 20 pounds or so home.

• Delicious 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

I have been known at the beach to eat boiled shrimp for dinner, and the leftovers for breakfast. And I'll bring 20 pounds or so home.

Don't we all?!?

• 10 months later...

Tonight I cooked the Spotted Prawns included with my first Wild Alaskan order. First, I had to prep them. They came with shells and tails, but no head. I allowed them to thaw in the sink - that is, I moved them from the counter into the sink when I realized the bags were oozing red liquid.

First thoughts: I will never again confuse prawns with shrimp. These were HUGE and the shape is different: fatter body for the length of the animal, at least until it was out of its shell. See the left-hand picture below. Note also the considerably larger appendages. 

Second: of the roughly dozen prawns that I cleaned, only 3 did not have roe. I wonder whether it's normal to have so many females in a haul? Does their presence mean that the harvest came too soon? I don't know whether female prawns always carry roe.

Third: the roe was essentially on the outside (underside) of the exoskeleton. I tried getting at it from the inside, after removing the flesh. It was protected from the inside by a fairly clear but tough membrane. On the outside, it seemed to be protected mostly by those appendages with which the creature swims.

20210718_223605.jpg

I persevered, and then used them in a dish called "Confetti Shrimp" from the delightful 1994 cookbook, Feast of Eden: Recipes from California's Garden Paradise (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). Hey, it's a Junior League (of Monterey County) cookbook. Of course it's good.

The recipe was delicious and the prawns delectable. In my experience, packaged frozen shrimp often have, well, a fishy or shrimpy smell. These didn't. The meat tasted and smelled delicate and fresh, and the texture was perfect. I've posted more about the dish itself in the Dinner topic, but wanted to report back here on the prawns. I wonder if they have any more?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

Tonight I cooked the Spotted Prawns included with my first Wild Alaskan order. First, I had to prep them. They came with shells and tails, but no head. I allowed them to thaw in the sink - that is, I moved them from the counter into the sink when I realized the bags were oozing red liquid.

First thoughts: I will never again confuse prawns with shrimp. These were HUGE and the shape is different: fatter body for the length of the animal, at least until it was out of its shell. See the left-hand picture below. Note also the considerably larger appendages. 

Second: of the roughly dozen prawns that I cleaned, only 3 did not have roe. I wonder whether it's normal to have so many females in a haul? Does their presence mean that the harvest came too soon? I don't know whether female prawns always carry roe.

Third: the roe was essentially on the outside (underside) of the exoskeleton. I tried getting at it from the inside, after removing the flesh. It was protected from the inside by a fairly clear but tough membrane. On the outside, it seemed to be protected mostly by those appendages with which the creature swims.

20210718_223605.jpg

I persevered, and then used them in a dish called "Confetti Shrimp" from the delightful 1994 cookbook, Feast of Eden: Recipes from California's Garden Paradise (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). Hey, it's a Junior League (of Monterey County) cookbook. Of course it's good.

The recipe was delicious and the prawns delectable. In my experience, packaged frozen shrimp often have, well, a fishy or shrimpy smell. These didn't. The meat tasted and smelled delicate and fresh, and the texture was perfect. I've posted more about the dish itself in the Dinner topic, but wanted to report back here on the prawns. I wonder if they have any more?

They definitely have more - I'll be getting 2 bags in my next box which ships in the next day or two.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

The ones I used to buy in Morro Bay live from tanks almost always had roe. Between Memorial Day & Labor Day (US) so seems in the window. And yours were frozen so harvest date unknown I imagine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

is the roe tasty ?

do you ear it raw ?

I know the "green gunk" in lobsters, their roe, is tasty. I don't know about eating any of it raw and I forgot to ask during my chat this morning. I included it in the pasta dish and it may have added something, but can't say with any certainty. 

• Thanks 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I know the "green gunk" in lobsters, their roe, is tasty. I don't know about eating any of it raw and I forgot to ask during my chat this morning. I included it in the pasta dish and it may have added something, but can't say with any certainty. 

I always understood that green stuff to be the lobsters equivalent of a liver and I know there have been warnings that because it filters out various poisons it is not wise to eat it anymore. I’m prepared to be shot down by anyone!

I thought lobster roe was pink. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I thought the "green gunk" was tomalley, digestive gland(s), supposedly a combo of liver and pancreas.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I always understood that green stuff to be the lobsters equivalent of a liver and I know there have been warnings that because it filters out various poisons it is not wise to eat it anymore. I’m prepared to be shot down by anyone!

Correct on both counts, though it's too vivid to be fairly called pink. The usual term for lobster roe is "coral," which expresses the color more accurately.

I do eat the tomalley, but sparingly, for the reasons stated. I'll eat the coral every time, and get the opportunity to do so periodically because my GF loves lobster. Myself, I can take it or leave it but usually leave it, except for the coral. That I love.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

7 hours ago, MokaPot said:

I thought the "green gunk" was tomalley, digestive gland(s), supposedly a combo of liver and pancreas.

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

Correct on both counts, though it's too vivid to be fairly called pink. The usual term for lobster roe is "coral," which expresses the color more accurately.

I do eat the tomalley, but sparingly, for the reasons stated. I'll eat the coral every time, and get the opportunity to do so periodically because my GF loves lobster. Myself, I can take it or leave it but usually leave it, except for the coral. That I love.

I sit humbly corrected, and apologize for posting misinformation. I wondered, as I was posting, why lobster roe would be such a different color than shrimp or fish roe. I should have checked my recollection. 🙂 

Thank you all! 

• Like 2