• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish and Seafood

Adam Balic

Barbounia from the Aegean Sea of Greece.

barbounia2.jpg

Fresh and tasty to the extent that they could lead you to addiction. All they need is shallow frying in olive oil and asyrtiko white wine. Using knife and fork is strictly prohibited!

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious

I recently read a recent Wall Street Journal article which stated that most sushi restaurants in NYC get their fish from Yama Seafood and also True World Foods. Seeing that True World Foods has a website, and that Yama Seafood has an office (warehouse maybe?) in Jersey City.... is it possible for a normal consumer like myself to purchase high-end fish, like a slab of bluefin toro?

Quick question regarding bivalves (eg clams and mussels). Do people still purge them? Reason for asking was I bought a bag of live mussels from costco and went on to do a mussels in saffron dish.

The mussels were gritty and thus distracted from the enjoyment of the meal. I believe they were farmed mussels and thus did not purge them.

Farmed mussels grow on 40 foot (on average) ropes hung from rafts anchored in 60 feet of water out in the Bay here in Maine. I've never experienced grit in these particular shellfish, only those picked off the rocks at the water's edge run the risk. I think areas with a fast current and tides also allow less grit to get in the local shellfish.

What say our Mediterranean members?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I haven't had a grit problem with mussels in I don't know how long, though I did get some issues with clams I bought last fall. Not to keep harping on the question above, but would soaking mussels allow them to purge some of the bile?

Costco clams and mussels seem to be problematic, however: there was another thread in the past year where someone bought clams there and found them almost inedibly salty.

Adam, do you ever special order these fish you're getting? Do you go to one place? Do you have a dish in mind for the night's meal, or buy the fish, then think of how to prep it, and do you know how a fish that's new to you will generally taste and that helps you in thinking of the prep methods?

If I want something specific and more difficult to source (sea-trout, wild turbot, langoustines etc) then yes I pre-order, but for the vast majority of time I I just show up and look for what looks good or interesting.

Great images. Oysters are something I know very little about. In Melborne is it quite difficult to get oysters that haven't been pre-shucked for you and these are nearly always Pacific oysters (Crassostrea gigas. In NSW you get Sydney rock oysters and from the evidence on he beach I would say that there are some other native species that aren't commercailly harvested (shells look round and flattish, similar to a British native oyster). The only other oysters I have had is some Colchester Natives here in the UK.

I have heard that from almost all of the Austrailian chefs I have worked with over the years and it is sad that freshly shucked or better yet unopened fresh local oysters are not available. I have tried the Sydney rock oyster (Crassostrea commerciallus) and also the New Zealand Bay of Islands oyster (same species) and found them to be some of the most incredibly complex tasting oysters that have ever passed my lips.

The other species that you saw might have been either the Akoya (Pinctada fucata) oyster or maybe the Polynesian oyster (Pinctada margarfetera).

It's hard to tell without seeing them myself.

I have tasted the Colchester native oyster and Colchester is also the home of the world's oldest continous oyster festival dating back to the 13th century.

If you love your oysters, Adam and you still live in the UK, you might want to go to Galway for the Guiness Oyster Festival in September annually.

It is also the home of the World's Oyster Opening Championship and the combination of oyster, Guiness and a really good Irish party make for a fun unforgettable time.

Regarding those big oysters, I once read a report on an area in Tasmania where there had been a failed attempt to farm oysters in the 60's (?), somebody found a few survivors and these were approaching 500gm in weight.

When I competed in the Oyster Olympics at Anthony's in Seattle, Washington, they had a competition for the largest oyster.

The winner was a Pacific oyster and was grown in the Hood Canal area of Puget Sound and weighed in at 4 lbs (1.67 kgs). :shock:

I can't imagine anyone ever eating something that size.

It's like swallowing a baby!

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

When I competed in the Oyster Olympics at Anthony's in Seattle, Washington, they had a competition for the largest oyster.

The winner was a Pacific oyster and was grown in the Hood Canal area of Puget Sound and weighed in at 4 lbs (1.67 kgs). :shock:

I can't imagine anyone ever eating something that size.

It's like swallowing a baby!

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Now there is an image....

:smile: I was actually thinking of what the name would be in Greek as there is a similar dish in Italy (Liguria) Sepia in zimino, which is very good.

Adam, the name in greek is "soupies me spanaki".

athinaeos

In Season: Horse Mackerel (Savridi in greek) from the Central Fish market in Athens. Each one weighs about one kilo. The price per kilo is EURO 8,5.

savridia_fishmarket2.jpg

athinaeos

I decided to take my digital camera to work and I took some pictures of some of the product we were dealing with that night.

Hope you enjoy.

I, of course, am responsible for quality control on the oysters we serve and I selected these 3 for tasting before service.

I chose a Fanny Bay, a Chef's Creek and a Metcalfe Bay oyster.

gallery_25956_2411_814921.jpg

This was my oyster selection for my daily oyster special.

Stellar Bay Golds (dark blue bag), Chef's Creek (orange bag) and Effingham Inlets (black bag)

gallery_25956_2411_393835.jpg

My chef was working on some fresh octopus.

gallery_25956_2411_924273.jpg

My sous chef was working on a nice Pantagonian Toothfish.

gallery_25956_2411_298729.jpg

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

• 1 month later...

I was in Rhodes last week and had the opportunity to taste the small shrimp from the island of Symi, Dodekannese, Greece.

You fry it in olive oil without adding anything, and eat it as it comes out of the pan. No salt, or lemon, or anything else should be added. It is sweet and has a rich aroma.

You can find it also in Rhodes, as it inhabits some rocky areas near the village of Lindos.

symi_shrimp.jpg

athinaeos

"Rofos" (Greek name) from the eastern coast of Rhodes, village of Afandou, Dodekannese, Greece.

The taverna owner grilled the fish on charcoal over slow fire for 45 minutes. Its flesh was white, firm and full of aromas.

rofos_afandou.jpg

athinaeos