• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea of green,red,blue,yellow,white,black

xxdxxd2004

HI everyone:

i am a chinesebusineman about the tea,i am very interesting about people'habit to drink tea.of course different tea has different function,but people'habit is also important.so, can you tell me what colour tea do you like,can you tell me the reason?

i'll be appreciated if you can reply.

thank you

here is china best daughter's ring

gallery_33530_1439_10631.jpg

I usually drink green tea due to the health benefits and the low caffeine content (I am trying to cut out caffeine, also for health benefits).

However, I love a good masala chai, and I will sometimes break my green tea habit for black tea with the proper spices.

I am also a bit of a fan of herbal tea, especially kava kava root tea, now that is incredible stuff, very relaxing.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I like tea....I'm Irish and like it black, hot and with lemon and a wee bit of sugar.

However I make green tea by the pitcher and love it dearly, cold with stevia and lime. I live in the deep, deep south and it is hot here. There has not been a single person who's had a glass of tea here who's not wanted more. It's the heat, and it's in the brewing...go figure. Green tea is what I brew most, black tea is just by the cup in the morning. I like Earl Grey....Though I read he was a butt.

I usually drink green tea due to the health benefits and the low caffeine content (I am trying to cut out caffeine, also for health benefits). 

However, I love a good masala chai, and I will sometimes break my green tea habit for black tea with the proper spices.

I am also a bit of a fan of herbal tea, especially kava kava root tea, now that is incredible stuff, very relaxing.

Dear nullo modo:

very thank you for your reply.

so i know that you like the green majorly,can you tell me the green tea's price that you often drink?

do you think the masala chai and herbal tea (kaka kaka root tea)are popular in your country?

i'll be appreciated if can tell me some about it.

thank you

I like tea....I'm Irish and like it black, hot and with lemon and a wee bit of sugar.

However I make green tea by the pitcher and love it dearly, cold with stevia and lime. I live in the deep, deep south and it is hot here. There has not been a single person who's had a glass of tea here who's not wanted more. It's the heat, and it's in the brewing...go figure. Green tea is what I brew most, black tea is just by the cup in the morning. I like Earl Grey....Though I read he was a butt.

Dear highchef:

from your reply you drink the green tea and black tea,and you drink the green tea more,do you think the green tea is mor popular in your country than other colour tea?what price's green tea do you often drink?

i know you country's tea all import from other countries,do you know which country does the green tea com from?

i'll thank you very much,if you can tell me some about.

thank you very much

Dear nullo modo:

so i know that you like the green majorly,can you tell me the green tea's price that you often drink?

do you think the masala chai and herbal tea (kaka kaka root tea)are popular in your country?

i'll be appreciated if can tell me some about it.

thank you

The green tea I usually use is pre-bagged (easier to figure out when I'm still half asleep in the morning) but is organic, and comes from France somewhere. Well, at least it is packaged in France, not sure where it is grown. I think it costs around $3.00 for 20 teabags.

Chai is getting more popular over here, though mainly as an overly sweetened chilled starbucks type beverage. I personally prefer it hot and with minimal sweetening.

Kava Kava root tea is an underground thing at the moment, though it is supposedly quite popular in Hawaii.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Dear NulloModo:

very thank you in my heart.your information is very important for me.we don't know each other ,but you have given me big help.so i am grateful for you.

i beg you tell me the teabag's weight,whether it is 1g/bag or 2g/bag or other weight.

very very thank you for your kind.

Dear NulloModo:

very thank you in my heart.your information is very important for me.we don't know each other ,but you have given me big help.so i am grateful for you.

i beg you tell me  the teabag's weight,whether it is 1g/bag or 2g/bag or other weight.

I checked out the box more carefully. The brand is "St. Dalfour" and apparently the tea itself comes from Sri Lanka. The bags are 2 grams each.

They have a very nice 'cinnamon apple' flavored green tea that is great in the morning with a couple drops of Stevia for sweetening.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Wow! Interesting selection of tea varieties you propose.

I've never heard of blue tea... Could you explain it?

The rest make sense to me...

White- unprocessed tea leaves steamed and dried straight off the bush.

Green- minimally processed tea that is crushed and heated, but not given time to oxidize.

Yellow- tips and buds processed like green tea.

Red (and Black)- tea leaves crushed and allowed to oxidize before drying.

As to my personal preferences, I like the very lightly oxidized Pouchongs and Oolongs. I like Ten Ren's 2nd Grade Pouchong, which goes for about $60 per pound. I also like the Anxi Oolongs from Gray & Seddon teas, which go for about $30 per pound. I buy all my tea loose.

I love to try new and different types of teas, but the lightly oxidised oolongs are my favorites so far.

Ten Ren's second grade Pouchong

Gray and Seddon's oolong page

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

My favorite teas come India. Darjeelings are my absolute favorites! I like first flush darjeelins, but I love second flush teas even more. They are rich and deliciously aromatic. Depending on which grower the tea is from, each Darjeeling tea has its own nuances and qualities, almost like wine.

A good strong, malty Assam is also nice, with milk and sugar. :biggrin:

I order my teas from Upton Tea Imports. THey have a huge selection of teas, at reasonable prices. Quick delivery too. They also offer samples of all their teas- they are small (about 5 grams i think). THis is a great system, because you don't sun the risk of being stuck with a bunch of tea that you dont like!

Wow!  Interesting selection of tea varieties you propose.

I've never heard of blue tea...  Could you explain it?

The rest make sense to me...

White- unprocessed tea leaves steamed and dried straight off the bush.

Green- minimally processed tea that is crushed and heated, but not given time to oxidize.

Yellow- tips and buds processed like green tea.

Red (and Black)- tea leaves crushed and allowed to oxidize before drying.

As to my personal preferences, I like the very lightly oxidized Pouchongs and Oolongs.  I like Ten Ren's 2nd Grade Pouchong, which goes for about $60 per pound.  I also like the Anxi Oolongs from Gray & Seddon teas, which go for about $30 per pound.  I buy all my tea loose.

I love to try new and different types of teas, but the lightly oxidised oolongs are my favorites so far.

Ten Ren's second grade Pouchong

Gray and Seddon's oolong page

Dear CDH:

Very thank you for your reply.

i am chinese and live in china,perhaps my translating is very poor, but i have some different opinion about the tea.

the green tea no oxidised,yellow tea 10-20% oxidized ,white tea 20-30% oxidized,

the blue tea 30-60% oxidised,red tea 80-90% oxidized,black tea 100% oxidized.

the pouchong is 10-20% oxidized,so it is yellow tea, the oolong is 30-60% oxidised ,so it is blue tea.

i hope you can exchange with me about the tea,i thank you very much.

by the way,can you tell the price position of the two tea.that means how many prices are there about the pouchong ,how many prices about the oolong.

waiting for your reply.

thank you very much

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Dear NulloModo:

i beg you tell me  the teabag's weight,whether it is 1g/bag or 2g/bag or other weight.

I checked out the box more carefully. The brand is "St. Dalfour" and apparently the tea itself comes from Sri Lanka. The bags are 2 grams each.

They have a very nice 'cinnamon apple' flavored green tea that is great in the morning with a couple drops of Stevia for sweetening.

very thank you,i very want to be your friend for you kind.do you like?

china yunnan best Bi Luochun

gallery_33530_1439_16794.jpg

Edited by xxdxxd2004 (log)

My favorite teas come India.  Darjeelings are my absolute favorites!  I like first flush darjeelins, but I love second flush teas even more.  They are rich and deliciously aromatic.  Depending on which grower the tea is from, each Darjeeling tea has its own nuances and qualities, almost like wine. 

A good strong, malty Assam is also nice, with milk and sugar.  :biggrin:

I order my teas from Upton Tea Imports.  THey have a huge selection of teas, at reasonable prices.  Quick delivery too.  They also offer samples of all their teas- they are small (about 5 grams i think).  THis is a great system, because you don't sun the risk of being stuck with a bunch of tea that you dont like!

Dear macaron&Mozart:

very thank you for your reply.can you tell me the reasonable price?

i often offer the 500g sample for the people all around the world free charge.of course i never say that 5g samples are little.in fact a lot of company recieve the sample fee.

waiting for your reply

thank you

the green tea no oxidised,yellow tea 10-20% oxidized ,white tea 20-30% oxidized,

the pouchong is 10-20% oxidized,so it is yellow tea, the oolong is 30-60% oxidised ,so it is blue tea.

by the way,can you tell the price position of the two tea.that means how many prices are there about the pouchong  ,how many prices about the oolong.

waiting for your reply.

thank you very much

i drink 10-30% oxidized oolongs that are lightly fermented- according to your definitions it is blue tea- what about more highly oxidized oolongs?

in most american sites blue tea is not mentioned-what are names of these teas?

there are also differences in transation-pinyan

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Thanks for explaining the color scale for me. These things are not well explained by western tea marketers. Where does the color scale come from? Some green teas look greenish when brewed, most white teas are much lighter in color than any others, and pouchongs do look yellowish... but oolongs don't look blue and teas like darjeeling (which looks to be less than 100% oxidized) don't appear red in the cup. Who started the color coding tradition?

As to pricing, there are many price points. Some teas seem to be good value, while others just do not. The teas I'd mentioned strike me as good value for money, but that is becuase they are fresh and well kept when I buy them. I've bought other oolongs at similar price points and have been disappointed and found them bad value for money. I just didn't enjoy the Ten Ren Ten Lu tea that they advertise as quite special.

So, tea pricing really depends on the quality of the tea... which I'd have to taste to judge. So samples are really essential.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Dear macaron&Mozart:

very thank you for your reply.can you tell  me the reasonable price?

i often offer the 500g sample for the people all around the world free charge.of course i never say that 5g samples are little.in fact a lot of company recieve the sample fee.

waiting for your reply

thank you

For the teas that I usually purchase, samples will cost between $2-$4 (occasionally a bit more or less), depending on the price of the tea. (I am sorry for reporting that samples were 5 grams. They are really 15 grams.)

-Robert Kim

Hi...

Generally, I drink Chinese "Green" Teas these days. My favorites are Lung Ching Dragonwell, Gunpowder, and Hubei Silver Tip. I get them from a local coffee seller which has now expanded to a small national chain (Peet's). I spend $6-$15 per 4oz. Seldom more than that.

I've found I enjoy Indian Black Teas, as well. Not so much Chinese Black Tea (Keemum, etc.), though I did go through a Lapsang Souchong phase quite a few years ago.

-Erik

edited to clarify.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I did go through a Lapsang Souchong phase quite a few years ago.

Lapsang Souchong?!? Eeek, for me, the first time I tried it, I almost spit it out. (I appologize to you and other people who like LS :wink: ) I like to call it the "BBQ Chicken Tea" or the "Smoked Salmon Tea."

For those of you that do not know what Lapsang Souchong is, it is a black tea that is smoked (smoke is from pine needles I think.) China and Taiwan both make LS, with tea from the latter usually being smokier.

-Robert Kim

Edited by Macarons&Mozart (log)

by the way,can you tell the price position of the two tea.that means how many prices are there about the pouchong  ,how many prices about the oolong.

waiting for your reply.

thank you very much

i drink 10-30% oxidized oolongs that are lightly fermented- according to your definitions it is blue tea- what about more highly oxidized oolongs?

in most american sites blue tea is not mentioned-what are names of these teas?

there are also differences in transation-pinyan

very sorry for my late reply.i just have a business trip.

i think if the oolong is not 30-60% oxidized,then it is not oolong.you should ask the seller who sell you the tea,the seller have the duty to tell you the truth.perhaps some oolong look some green,but it is not green tea surely.i think the import thing is not the name,but the truth about the tea that you drink,how much do you know about it?whether the seller has told you the thuth ?i am not sure.

so you should ask the seller who sell the tea for you about the tea.

if you buy my tea i'll tell you the thuth,as you please.my tea's samples are all free charge(include the postage) about 500g each time.

any problem please tell me ,you are welcome.

Thanks for explaining the color scale for me.  These things are not well explained by western tea marketers. Where does the color scale come from?  Some green teas look greenish when brewed, most white teas are much lighter in color than any others, and pouchongs do look yellowish... but oolongs don't look blue and teas like darjeeling (which looks to be less than 100% oxidized) don't appear red in the cup.  Who started the color coding tradition?

As to pricing, there are many price points.  Some teas seem to be good value, while others just do not.  The teas I'd mentioned strike me as good value for money, but that is becuase they are fresh and well kept when I buy them.  I've bought other oolongs at similar price points and have been disappointed and found them bad value for money. I just didn't enjoy the Ten Ren Ten Lu tea that they advertise as quite special. 

So, tea pricing really depends on the quality of the tea... which I'd have to taste to judge.  So samples are really essential.

very sorry for my late reply.

i think you are very smart, you are not angry for my different opinion,so i thank you very much.

the tea kind classification is china tradition.tea colour look is not very import,but the processing way is important. it is not the different classification between china and western countries,only the thuth of processing way about the tea ,customers don't know.perhaps the green tea is popular in western countries,so the tea businessman promote it in that way.all the tea has become green tea.if the tea 'colour look some green ,then the seller call it green tea.

the seller have the responsibility to tell the customer truth, not give the customer false information.

the sample is important as you say.i send the free sample to all the customers around the world,about 500g each time.

i think you should ask the seller who sell the tea for you about the thuth.

any question i like to discuss with.

thank you very much.

Wow!  Interesting selection of tea varieties you propose.

I've never heard of blue tea...  Could you explain it?

Blue tea is, as I understand it, another way of refering to semi-fermented teas. I think oolong is one such variety.

your are right,can you tell me some about your job?

thank you

Hi...

Generally, I drink Chinese "Green" Teas these days.  My favorites are Lung Ching Dragonwell, Gunpowder, and Hubei Silver Tip.  I get them from a local coffee seller which has now expanded to a small national chain (Peet's).  I spend $6-$15 per 4oz.  Seldom more than that.

I've found I enjoy Indian Black Teas, as well.  Not so much Chinese Black Tea (Keemum, etc.), though I did go through a Lapsang Souchong phase quite a few years ago.

-Erik

edited to clarify.

welcome you come here.

don't you think the tea's prices are too high?

thank you