• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small Town Dining -- Spare Me

Being a small town dweller, I am all to familiar with the pitfalls....A few months ago, we went to one of the three 'nice' restaurants here in town...heard the menu had changed, so we thought what the heck. Oh it had changed...they added a cheese list! And here it is!

Emmenthal

Gruyere

Cheddar (mild or Old Nippy)

Havarti (regular or jalepeno)

Be still my beating heart. Supermarket cheese.

They closed about 6 weeks later...completely puzzled as to why the new menu didn't boost sales.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 2 weeks later...

My wife dug up thise site: RoadFood.Com. Haven't had a chance to road test it yet -- the restaurant we found on the site had changed hands very recently and we couldn't compare our review to thiers. Looks like a good site, though, and glancing through it certainly puts you miles ahead of driving blind.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.