• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuba Journey 2003 on website

Rene

I finally put a part of my journey to Cuba on my website Rumpages

Only the things that are related to Rum are on it. So my scuba diving in Trinidad is not.

I am missing some pictures some how, so is going to be more in the near future. Like about Bacardi and Matusalem. To be continued?

Rene

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

I updated this page about Cuba. There are more pictures on it and I wrote some more things with these pictures. A friend of mine had my pictures. Who needs enemies when you have friends like that.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

• 1 month later...
thanks for sharing

I too visited Havana and Pinor de Rio (Vinales) back in 2002 and again in 2003. I rented space in apartment complex only about four blocks from the Habana Libre hotel. At the time my main interest was cigars but while there I developed a love for rum. I had a chance to buy a bottle of rum with the original Santiago de Cuba label on the bottle for 15 dollars and didn't do it!!! I did sample some 15 year old HC at the hotel where Hemmingway lived (Ardus Mundo or something like that) It was easy to fall in love with Cuba. The music and people are wonderful. I sipped a lot of HC while there and downed way to many Cristal beers sitting around in a patio bar near the Plaza de Armas people watching. It was here I also had my first mojito as well.

Now whenever my wife and I take a cruise we pick up a bottle or two or three of HC (the 7 year old stuff) since I found out it's not on the embargo list like cigars.

While visiting the Partigas factory located just behind the Capitol building I met up with Abel Diaz, Gerente of the place. He bought me a glass of HC while a roller (for more than 35 years) made me a Montecristo #2........for 5 bucks. I also have a video of this event I like to share with my cigar smoking buddies.

The area of Vinales is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen and it's also the primo growing area for the best of the best cuban tobacco. I was buying cigars made by some of the local rollers for a buck a piece. No idea how many I smoked. In Vinales I could rent a room in a home for 15 bucks a night with a pretty good breakfast thrown in as well. Go local and be a traveller not a tourist is my motto.

Off the rum a bit here here but thought I would share this with you..