• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riedel stemware?

nan

Last night we went to a wine-tasting dinner - unlike the last one we attended (same restaurant) which featured Cline wines, this one featured the wine glasses - a rep from Riedel was there and walked us through the different glasses, etc.

We tried the following wines:

- Lava Cap, Cabernet Sauvignon 2002, Napa Valley

Cabernet/ Merlot Riedel glass

- White Haven, Pinot Noir 2003, New Zealand

Pinot Noir Riedel glass

- Nobilo, Sauvignon Blanc 2004, New Zealand

Sauvignon Blanc Riedel glass

- Newton unfiltered, Chardonnay 2003, Napa Valley

Chardonnay Riedel Glass

I'm definitely a wine novice, but would really like to learn more. This particular dinner was especially nice because it spent so much time on tasting wine, what to look for, etc.

But I'm wondering what all of you experts out there think of the Riedel glasses. We got to take our set of four glasses each home with us and chose to buy some additional sets. The price seemed pretty good, and it was a noticeable difference (though moreso to my husband than to myself). Anyway, I'd love to hear thoughts on these glasses, just out of curiousity.

Oh yeah, the wine was good too. I didn't really like the Chardonnay as much, but really liked the Pinot Noir, which is surprising, since I tend to be a white-wine sort of person. But as I try more out, I think I'm learning to enjoy red wines...

I hope this is the appropriate place to put this topic...

nan