• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Flour

I can sympathize: it's hard finding the right bread flour, much less at a decent price. I sidestepped the eternal hunt for bread flour by buying a huge bag of vital wheat gluten and adding just the right amount for the protein content I want.

Exactly! That's what I do here in Australia. Good brand (and only one I can find) is Lowan's Gluten flour and I just add to the plain flour here depending on what kind of bread I'm making.

Having lived and cooked in the USA for over 2 decades, I find that Aussie plain flour is very soft in comparison to most American flours. I wouldn't dream of trying to find or create special cake flour - waste of time.

I love our flour. Haven't made such good cakes and scones for years.

Don't know a soul who uses boxed mixes. Ye gads.

Rye and spelt in the organic section in Queen Victoria market?

Yes, it would be helpful if u can recommend a good bakery in the carlton area. :)

I'm quite lost actually, in locating where to get stuff here.  :wacko:

Gonna begin my journey to Brunswick now. Bye! & THX ..hehe

Babka bakery cafe, 358 Brunswick St. Fitzroy,

Loafer Bread, 146 scotchmer Street, North Fitzroy

Dench Bakers, 109 Scotchmer St, North fitzroy, across the rd is a very nice super market, that has an inhouse bakery, they make good ciabatta

Natural Tucker Bakery, 809 nicholson Street, North Carlton,

Nicholson street Baker,706 Nicholson Street, North Fitzroy (or north carlton)

Filou's , corner Lygon nd Fenwick St. North Carlton ( opposite the melbourne cemetery)

the organic section of the QV market- if you are coming from Elizabeth street, (there is a MacDonald on the corner , just walk down that street , turn right after the deli section, and it is the shed on the left ( the first 2 stall are not organic, but the rest are ) about 4 stalls down on the right, this is where you can get your spelt and rye etc, and they stock Kingfisher bread, in fact there are about 3 bread stores in the deli section of the market, good luck.

• 9 months later...

I almost dropped my shopping basket this morning. Safeway (Moonee Ponds, Melbourne) is stocking Tipo 00 flour! At the fairly common price of about $2.50/kg.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

Look to be totally honest at these prices one loaf will cost anyone an arm and a leg. In English farina tipo 00 translates as 00 type flour and as far as I am concerned it is a marketing gimmick. I would not pay more than .45cents per kg of good flour.

I you can't find any good bulk flour outlet then just go to an larger Indian or Turkish supplier buy the stuff there in larger bags much cheaper and fresher flour than you could ever dream of picking up on any supermarket isle even from that rip off merchant of mediterranean supplies.

Forgot, if you live around Oakleigh the Greeks there also carry Weston's large flour bags for around $20 per 25 kg I have seen bread flour and farina flour bags at that price.

The Vietnamese in Springvale also carry two or three brands of flour large bags I can't remeber the particular mill but it is P-farina type which is the same as type 00 as this flour is known in latin culture countries (not only in Italy but Argentina, Brazil ) we also call flour by this denomination tipo 0,00,000 and 0000. :biggrin:

Edited by piazzola (log)

I live in Sydney and I'd be ecstatic if I ever found good flour for anywhere near 45c a kilo. Even the bulk Weston's, as you say, works out to be almost double that at 80c a kilo.

Look to be totally honest at these prices one loaf will cost anyone an arm and a leg. In English farina tipo 00 translates as 00 type flour and as far as I am concerned it is a marketing gimmick. I would not pay more than .45cents per kg of good flour.

I you can't find any good bulk flour outlet then just go to an larger Indian or Turkish supplier buy the stuff there in larger bags much cheaper and fresher flour than you could ever dream of picking up on any supermarket isle even from that rip off merchant of mediterranean supplies.

Forgot, if you live around Oakleigh the Greeks there also carry Weston's large flour bags for around $20 per 25 kg I have seen bread flour and farina flour bags at that price.

The Vietnamese in Springvale also carry two or three brands of flour large bags I can't remeber the particular mill but it is P-farina type which is the same as type 00 as this flour is known in latin culture countries (not only in Italy but Argentina, Brazil ) we also call flour by this denomination tipo 0,00,000 and 0000. :biggrin:

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."