• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver piano/jazz bars

RooStew

Does anyone have any suggestions for an evening of piano or jazz in a romantic setting? Looking for something on monday/tuesday night next week (am I asking too much for Vancouvers nightlife?).

I once went to a little joint down west broadway/blehiem way but would like to try something different. Also heard of piano at the Sutton??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure just what you're looking for, but there is only one place to regularly expose yourself to high calibre music. The Cellar. http://cellarjazz.com It's more a place to go to actually listen to the music. There is a cover because of the calibre of the acts they book. The food is above average for this kind of place. It's not meant for background music during conversation.

Mark.

Gerard at the Sutton is a great bar, but its atmosphere is clubby rather then romantic-more Chartwelly if you know what I mean.

The Cellar is probably the place you already went to- it definitely would be the place to hear Jazz.

I agree that Bacchus is nice room for a romantic drink.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

After preparing a lovely dinner for my fiances birthday I planned to take her to the above recommended 'O'Douls' for a late night bevvy.

We went around 8.30ish on tuesday. It was a little less than what I was looking for but fun all the same. There weren't that many people in the joint, we were 2 of about ten people in the there. The fella on piano was good though.

I think next time I'll check out the cellar again, they are doing renos at the moment.

We were in Banff a couple of weeks ago and experienced an amazing jazz trio in the Banff Springs. Recommend it to anyone going or in the area.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.