• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50 Best Brewers

KatieLoeb

Hiya folks:

Just wanted to place a link to the results of the 50 Best Brewers poll that was conducted by RateBeer.com. Seems the folks in San Diego have a lot to be thankful for. 3 of the top 10 brewers are in San Diego or the environs.

I'd like to give a shout out to three of my favorite local breweries in PA whose products I've featured in restaurants I'm buying for. Victory Brewing Co. of Downingtown, PA came in 14th, Stoudt's Brewery of Adamstown, PA came in 24th and Troegs Brewing Co. of Harrisburg, PA came in 26th. Not a bad showing for the PA brewers in the top 100.

The poll claims to be the world's largest, with some 30,000 beers from 4000 brewers eligible. Voters from more than 65 countries participated. Full Story Here Seems the USA has a wealth of riches to be proud of in the brewing arena.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Okay... I'm not going to resort to invective and foul language.

But....

They forgot several states that have gold medal breweries from World beer competitions.

This post indicates 2 breweries that ought to be mentioned on their site Yet;

Nebraska languishes. Unnoticed.

There are two spectacular beers brewed here that deserve some more recognition.

Edit: grammar police.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

So...38 of the world's 50 best beers come from the US? :huh:

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Only one beer maker from Germany in the top 50?

This poll, and the polls on beeradvocate always really skew towards extreme beer.

Very hoppy, very strong...

To pick a couple easy targets, Rogue and Sierra Nevada; but, not Schneider or Paulaner? C'mon!

Erik

ed. I didn't read the brewery list closely enough.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

While I am a "grain of salt" guy I must shake my head at 38 of the best 50 being from the USA.

Perhaps they just should have called the list the 50 best American brewers and left it at that.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

But....

They forgot several states that have gold medal breweries from World beer competitions.

This post indicates 2 breweries that ought to be mentioned on their site  Yet;

Nebraska languishes.  Unnoticed.

Those brewers you mention might brew great beer but they have little to no distribution outside of Nebraska so they have little chance to make it on to a list like the RateBeer Best.

In my travels as a beer lover I am always amazed at the gems that are hidden away in cities and towns that I have never heard of. But without wider distribution there is little hope that these gems will ever be reconized beyone the locals and the few that happen across them. Also, states that have more absurd alcohol laws (i.e., no growlers, strict bottling requirements etc...) will never be able to step into the spotlight. (I am usure of Nebraska's laws this is just a general statement, and one that is readily apparent in the SouthEastern US).

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

While I am a "grain of salt" guy I must shake my head at 38 of the best 50 being from the USA.

Perhaps they just should have called the list the 50 best American brewers and left it at that.

The site has a very large US user base. There are lots of other users from all over the world but the US dominates. So the list will be biased as to what is most readily accessible to the users.

Here is the breakdown of users by Country and State/Province for North America.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Users/Distribution.asp

I am active on RateBeer, and no I do not agree 100% with that list of Top 50 brewers but I can say that those 50 are all great brewers (at least the 48 that I have tried). The biggest omission IMO is Bürgerbräu Wolnzach (not even in the top 100!!!). Also the top 3, while all good, are all highly over-rated IMO!

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

But....

This post indicates 2 breweries that ought to be mentioned on their site  Yet;

Nebraska languishes.  Unnoticed.

Those brewers you mention might brew great beer but they have little to no distribution outside of Nebraska so they have little chance to make it on to a list like the RateBeer Best.

In my travels as a beer lover I am always amazed at the gems that are hidden away in cities and towns that I have never heard of. But without wider distribution there is little hope that these gems will ever be reconized beyone the locals and the few that happen across them. Also, states that have more absurd alcohol laws (i.e., no growlers, strict bottling requirements etc...) will never be able to step into the spotlight. (I am usure of Nebraska's laws this is just a general statement, and one that is readily apparent in the SouthEastern US).

Wow, it's amazing that you've tried 48 of the top 50 brewers, considering so many have only regional distribution! I've never even been able to try AleSmith. Even when I was living in the SF Bay Area I couldn't find the Speedway Stout. I agree that Stone and Three Floyds are a bit overrated.

I'll agree with the comments that RateBeer tends to overrate strong beers and underrate more subtle, balanced beers. But you can make this criticism of wine ratings as well. Perhaps you could make the same point for music and for visual arts. It's understandable that greater complexity leads to better ratings though, and the "less is more" concept may be antithetical to human nature. Except the Japanese.